Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-06-2018 09:33 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:

I’d like to reiterate the points make by @mrtickle and @blenky. Can we now Lee this thread focused on new information, particularly if it is in the direction of allowing connected devices to show HLG. 

I think a good route for new posters,  who are all welcome is to also use social media to embarrass Samsung via Facebook,  Twitter and avforums. You can also email the Samsung CEO. Contact watchdog and trading standards. Most members here have done that and the more the merrier. The posters on here at the moment are very helpful and sometimes very patient,  but I can also understand them not wanting this excellent thread from going down the wrong road,  and desending into what has happened in the past. All the information is here,  also KS refunds thread is an option for the missing selling of the smart connect dongle. 

Frazzler
Explorer
Options
Done.
dunwell
Voyager
Options

UK President & CEO - *******

Remember to keep it courteous, polite, factual and brief. 

I would suggest that if you are writing to complain then the iPlayer app deserves only a passing mention. A focus on the EDID fix required would be a better point of attack - the best result we can hope for is a formal acknowledgement that a fix is being worked on and some kind of indication as to when it may be released. 

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Dear Mr Baumann,

As I am sure you are by now aware, there is considerable disappointment from owners of high end 2016 Samsung Televisions (most notably the KS range which retailed well in excess of £1,000 RRP) regarding the availability of BBC iPlayer UHD / HDR / HLG content.

Given that you will have already received considerable correspondence on this issue, I will not repeat any previous lines of enquiry as to how such an expensive piece of consumer equipment was allowed to be released to market with firmware that was so inadequate for future standard broadcasting requirements. I understand that the neither the firmware nor the in-built BBC iPlayer app can be upgraded to display HLG content and whilst this is disappointing, I have come to reluctantly accept this position.

Of more concern to me and thousands of others is that a simple alternative solution is available which would allow owners of 2016 KS televisions to watch BBC content in HLG. The use of a connected device such as the Virgin V6 box (which has recently been upgraded to display this content) or a 'streaming stick' such as the Roku Streaming Stick+ provides an inexpensive method of allowing this television to display HLG content at its best.

Based on the experience of SkyQ customers in Italy and DirecTV customers in the United States, it is possible to see that the Samsung Television firmware has a very minor fault in how it handles EDID information from HDMI connected devices. Owners of the Virgin V6 box in the UK are now also reporting the same problem which is preventing them from watching HLG content on their KS televisions. 

As this is a minor software fix which would greatly enhance the experience of your customers both in the UK and across Europe, please could you confirm the current position on patching the EDID problem and when we may expect this to be deployed? With SkyQ in the UK due to activate HDR functionality this year and the BBC streaming the imminent FIFA World Cup in HLG, it would be most helpful if some information could be provided back to your loyal customers.

It is hard to under-estimate the strength of feeling on this issue, the following thread here has more than 3,000 replies on your own community forum. One has a great deal of sympathy for the lone Samsung moderator @AntS who has tried diligently to help customers who are extremely upset about this situation. Most regrettably, no official information on fixing this error has been provided by Samsung which has only led to more disappointment and anger.

This is a perfect opportunity to provide some reassurance and much overdue information; please could you now take this chance to do so. 

With best wishes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

My first post for a while but I have been keeping up with the thread.

What's the latest consensus on the Roku+ stick in terms of streaming the world cup in UHD/HLG?

Are we confident it will work with the live stream even though it is still not listed on the compatable devices list? I'm tempted to buy one but may hold off for another week to make sure everything is working as hoped.

Thanks

blenky
Helping Hand
Options
@dunwell
Excellent letter. Captures the facts and mood perfectly.
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

What's the latest consensus on the Roku+ stick in terms of streaming the world cup in UHD/HLG?

Are we confident it will work with the live stream even though it is still not listed on the compatable devices list? I'm tempted to buy one but may hold off for another week to make sure everything is working as hoped.

Thanks

Based on the fact it plays the trial and users receive the appropriate message when you launch the beta app then there is a strong chance it will work. You could wait until after the first game, personally though i would order one online from somewhere with a decent return window. If it doesnt work then send it back, if it does then great.

The reason I say this is samsung,panasonic and Sony owners all have issues and if the Roku does prove to be a definate solution then i expect them to sell out from a fair few retailers

cheers

stevej190
Pioneer
Options
Apprentice

We really dont know yet. I have the Roku + stick and as reported when going on to iplayer last night we were greeted with a message saying "enjoy the world cup in UHD hlg " as reported a few pages ago. BUT, we have only been able to view the test loop on the beta version, not the trial on the standard version so that is basically why we are unsure.

I personally think its worth buying one anyway as the apps are more likely to be updated for longer, the netflix one for instance is much better than the inbuilt version on my KS, but then the Amazon one is worse as its clunky and doesn't yet support hdr in any flavour. So I've sort of contraticted myself there already but hey yo, this is such a fun merry go round and we won't know for sure until kick off and then we may have to try the less popular games to get a look in as its limited in numbers. No doubt the answers will be posted here though asap.

jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

Thanks

Based on the fact it plays the trial and users receive the appropriate message when you launch the beta app then there is a strong chance it will work. You could wait until after the first game, personally though i would order one online from somewhere with a decent return window. If it doesnt work then send it back, if it does then great.

The reason I say this is samsung,panasonic and Sony owners all have issues and if the Roku does prove to be a definate solution then i expect them to sell out from a fair few retailers

cheers

Thanks for that, think i'll take the risk and get one ordered!

Cheers

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
Just seen another result on https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-Owners-refund/m-p/547684#M12364 @Mal1 has received a refund from Richer Sounds for his KS8000. Well done.

Paul