Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 04-06-2018 01:57 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@PM06 wrote:

My Virgin Media V6 just updated to new software now allows me to play both uhd trial clips of Planet Earth 2 In iPlayer and the football stream in iPlayer beta the tv does not switch into hdr mode on either clips so not sure what I am actually receiving can only assume it is 4k hlg sdr

As far as I am aware if the tv does not go to hdr mode,  full back light and others changes,  then you are not receiving a hdr Hlg signal. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Sounds like the EDID handshake is working in full force then. 

Hypothesis is that an HD Fury (or a Samsung Software Update) would resolve the Virgin situation.

Virgin situation is directly analogous to DirecTV situation in the US.

Also noteworthy; we now have two external HDMI devices that are BBC iPlayer HLG compatible.

I always thought that if the backlit does not switch to full you are not getting a hdr or Hlg feed. 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@PM06 wrote:

My Virgin Media V6 just updated to new software now allows me to play both uhd trial clips of Planet Earth 2 In iPlayer and the football stream in iPlayer beta the tv does not switch into hdr mode on either clips so not sure what I am actually receiving can only assume it is 4k hlg sdr

What TV do you have. If it's a KS that confirms what we feared. The V6 box is not sending the HLG as it's unaware that the TV is capable. Our only hope is for the EDID fix which I doubt will ever happen. However we will still be able to watch in UHD SDR. 

PM06
Journeyman
Options

I have a 49” KS8000

Frazzler
Explorer
Options

Or the HD Fury Integral at £200!

sinjin
Journeyman
Options

When watching the football UHD loop on Beta with a Roku Plus my KS60 7000 backlight did not go to 20 as it does when watching HDR on Netflix via inbuilt app. 

Therefore I can confirm what has been said that the stream is not HDR but SDR.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@sinjin wrote:

When watching the football UHD loop on Beta with a Roku Plus my KS60 7000 backlight did not go to 20 as it does when watching HDR on Netflix via inbuilt app. 

Hi mate have you enabled UHD colour on the HDMI port? it has been confirmed earlier by other users HLG does engage

edit... talking the Roku here not the V6 before things get more confused

cheers

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@sinjin wrote:

Thats the roku order back on hold, because on my KS8000 the backlight always goes to 20 when it goes into HDR HLG mode.

Thanks

sinjin
Journeyman
Options
No I haven’t
How do I do that?
Sorry to sound dumb
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@sinjin wrote:
No I haven’t