Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 04-06-2018 09:41 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
dunwell
Voyager
Options

The first Fury link wouldn’t work as it doesn’t support 4k resolutions. 

The second link looks very expensive. I’m sure I saw one a few months back that would do the job for just under £100. 

HD Fury absolutely not made by Samsung. In fact the manufacturer has been in legal dispute over these devices and their ability to remove copy protection. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:

The second link looks very expensive. I’m sure I saw one a few months back that would do the job for just under £100. 

HD Fury absolutely not made by Samsung. In fact the manufacturer has been in legal dispute over these devices and their ability to remove copy protection. 

Stand corrected. 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Yes you of course correct - its the Integral thats needed.  £60 for a Roku+ is one thing - but £200 - no!

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Yes I agree, far too much. To be honest, at least the Roku does something the TV technically can’t do (run a modern UHD version of the iPlayer). I can just about live with that as bad luck in the age old war against constant innovation and marketing. 

But £200 to unlock a feature the TV already has and could be “activated” with a few lines of code via a software update is beyond the pale. At the moment it’s academic but it won’t be for much longer as Virgin / Sky both seem close to HDR / HLG rollout. 

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

But £200 to unlock a feature the TV already has and could be “activated” with a few lines of code via a software update is beyond the pale. 

This really is the point, ain't it? All because Samsung want to force people into a model where they're outright buying TV's every year by denying ongoing service to current products is really a cul-de-sac consumer policy as far as I'm concerned.

The only feedback they'll understand is to vote with your wallet and not buy the product in future.

Frazzler
Explorer
Options

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for HLG support in Apple TV 4K. Apple are about to announce tvOS12 later today. References have already been found to HLG in the tvOS source code so I’m hoping HLG will come, as I already have the device and want to avoid purchasing another. Of course, the BBC would have to update their iPlayer app for Apple TV too, but if Apple add HLG I would expect the BBC to support it at some point in the future, maybe not in time for the World Cup but eventually.

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Even if they release a new, compliant iPlayer for Apple TV you will also be reliant on EDID being fixed (unless the Apple TV doesn't deal with EDID properly in the same way as Roku doesn't)

chopples123
Voyager
Options

Ignoring the EDID issue

HLG support doesnt necessarily mean access, Its not like the ATV has  iplayer in 4k without the HDR. 

cheers

PM06
Journeyman
Options

My Virgin Media V6 just updated to new software now allows me to play both uhd trial clips of Planet Earth 2 In iPlayer and the football stream in iPlayer beta the tv does not switch into hdr mode on either clips so not sure what I am actually receiving can only assume it is 4k hlg sdr

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Sounds like the EDID handshake is working in full force then. 

Hypothesis is that an HD Fury (or a Samsung Software Update) would resolve the Virgin situation.

Virgin situation is directly analogous to DirecTV situation in the US.

Also noteworthy; we now have two external HDMI devices that are BBC iPlayer HLG compatible.

0 Likes