Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-04-2018 04:01 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

I don't think Samsung (management) cares. 😞

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@crashcriswrote:

@mrtickle I appreciate your comment yesterday spelling out why my js8000 will not get the iplayer, I really do, but I still want to hear this from the company itself, not because I don't believe you or any of the other posters, just because I believe it's their duty to explain themselves as to the shortcomings of what was a very expensive (flagship, future proof) bit of kit at the time. At the very least a little bit of "mea culpa" wouldn't go amiss.

I was replying to @crashcris post not just making a statement.

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

Samsung might be considering adding Dolby Vision to their TVs: http://www.4kfilme.de/samsung-dolby-vision-hdr/

It's no surprise that they are considering it, given that HDR10+ is pretty much dead on arrival. However, unfortunately for us, if the 2016 TVs cannot handle HDR10+, then they will most certainly not be able to handle Dolby Vision. If this does happen, it will likely be only for TVs after 2017.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

Samsung might be considering adding Dolby Vision to their TVs: http://www.4kfilme.de/samsung-dolby-vision-hdr/

It's no surprise that they are considering it, given that HDR10+ is pretty much dead on arrival. However, unfortunately for us, if the 2016 TVs cannot handle HDR10+, then they will most certainly not be able to handle Dolby Vision. If this does happen, it will likely be only for TVs after 2017.

Unlikely even for 2017, Samsung are unable to shift their sets, they're winding down production so their strategy is to drop support for older products and support only new ones

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@chopples123wrote:

I suspect the answer to that is already in the thread mate, although I agree it would be nice for Samsung to say as such.

4k SDR/4k HLG it doesnt matter in a sense the delivery method is the same regardless, my feeling is it that the issues are OS based.

Yes, more than just a feeling, it is what we have been able to glean over the last 4 months: The BBC decided to use DVB-DASH for all their next-generation hi-res streaming (which includes hdr and sdr, etc. Not just hdr). DVB-DASH in turn requires the use of the EME (Encrypted Media Extensions) the version of which, in their Tizen 2.4, is not new enough. References for this are here and here. It seems that EME is "baked in" to Tizen at a very low level, so this means it cannot be updated without updating the whole OS. This task is much bigger than, and not the same as, an in-the-field firmware upgrade (of which we have had many). Samsung would have to embark on a complete OS upgrade on an old model of TV, something that hasn't been attempted before to my knowledge.

NB: I am not excusing their terrible customer service, behaviour and attitude. The above is just the technical information we've been able to glean.

Can we just pin this post and signpost everyone to it.

Dolby Vision support has been a software solution for sometime now, there's no additional hardware required as was back in the day, however I'd expect Samsung to only want to support that on their 2019 models, and only even then the flagship models only.

As for me, I've given up waiting - I'll keep the TV another 12 months, then upgrade to a Sony or LG model that supports HDMI 2.1 and VRR properly.

(PS: About Samsung not caring, you only after see how they're behaving in the class action lawsuit currently happening over their decision to stop security updates for their 2016 S6 phones - THEY. DON'T. CARE.)

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:Dolby Vision support has been a software solution for sometime now, there's no additional hardware required as was back in the day, however I'd expect Samsung to only want to support that on their 2019 models, and only even then the flagship models only.

People really misunderstand this. Yes, Dolby Vision can be added via software update, but the hardware still needs to be powerful enough to support the format. For example, most of Sony's high end 2017 TVs received Dolby Vision, except the 900E, which did not have a powerful enough processor.

My point was that since the 2016 Samsung TVs cannot even support Samsung's cheap knock off (HDR10+) then they certainly won't be able to support Dolby Vision. For the 2017 and newer TVs, it may be possible. I would say that the 2018 Q9 definitely can, given how powerful it appears to be.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:Dolby Vision support has been a software solution for sometime now, there's no additional hardware required as was back in the day, however I'd expect Samsung to only want to support that on their 2019 models, and only even then the flagship models only.

People really misunderstand this. Yes, Dolby Vision can be added via software update, but the hardware still needs to be powerful enough to support the format. For example, most of Sony's high end 2017 TVs received Dolby Vision, except the 900E, which did not have a powerful enough processor.

My point was that since the 2016 Samsung TVs cannot even support Samsung's cheap knock off (HDR10+) then they certainly won't be able to support Dolby Vision. For the 2017 and newer TVs, it may be possible. I would say that the 2018 Q9 definitely can, given how pwoerful it appars to be.

Very interesting and basically the ks and older are not the all singing super high end we were told? And still no formal response from Samsung. 

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

My point was that since the 2016 Samsung TVs cannot even support Samsung's cheap knock off (HDR10+) then they certainly won't be able to support Dolby Vision. For the 2017 and newer TVs, it may be possible. I would say that the 2018 Q9 definitely can, given how powerful it appears to be.

No misunderstanding from me, my friend, which's why I stated it would only probably be supported on the flagship models, a la the 2018 flasgship Panasonics, which have an additional processor for HDR10+ and DV.

The issue of grunt is only partly the problem, the other side of course is Dolby market the middleware as a premium add-on to your TV and also the licensing issue, which I suspect is another conversation entirely for Samsung (although worth noting Samsung joined the standard last year, so for all their bluster about HDR10+ they've always had DV in the back pocket.

As it stands, Sony customers have faced similar issues to us with getting Dolby Vision on their sets, and then to work as advertised - not that I'm giving Samsung any credit - Sony at least did honour their promise and implemented the update.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

It seems Samsung as a company have become too big  and become so arrogant. Samsung could not care less about their existing customers.  

@AntS  I know you have been escalating these issues up the higher Samsung management.  But when was the last time you  discuss these issues with Samsung Management. I know you provided  extract from this thread  and a list of unsatisfied customers months back. 

Samsung really going to provide clarity on all these issues?  Or is this just another one of Samsungs lie to keep us quite.