Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 25-03-2018 02:35 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbatwrote:

@mrticklewrote:

I agree. I fully expect the EDID fix to be rolled out before (4) happens.  

But (4) has already happened in Italy, and the EDID has not been fixed. There's plenty of 2016 KS owners there who already can't get Sky's F1 coverage in 4K/HLG because of the EDID problem.

Yes, we know this, as discussed. Sky Italia's beta has indeed started before Samsung has fixed the EDID bug.

[EDIT: not a beta, a full service]

This doesn't change my prediction that Samsung will probably fix the EDID before (4) happens. For certain people reading this, this is a prediction of mine and it is not a promise it is based on the ease of the fix and Sky UK's tardiness. We're getting at least one firmware rollout before the end of April, but it probably won't be part of that.

ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

@dunwellwrote:

For....

(trimmed -> snip, snip! ) .....

My personal view is that we are in an incredibly strong position and for that reason the EDID issue will be resolved to allow HLG over HDMI from connected devices.

When that time comes, as you are a legal type, perhaps you’d be kind enough to share your correspondence with us, so we can replicate it, as we’ll all likely be in the same position. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@ukpeteywrote:

@dunwellwrote:

For....

(trimmed -> snip, snip! ) .....

My personal view is that we are in an incredibly strong position and for that reason the EDID issue will be resolved to allow HLG over HDMI from connected devices.

When that time comes, as you are a legal type, perhaps you’d be kind enough to share your correspondence with us, so we can replicate it, as we’ll all likely be in the same position. 

I would have thought a solicitor would know you can only take your retailer not manufacturer to court for misrepresentation. If you purchased from samsung then you have a case.  If not hlg will not work as we found and pointed out with bbc IPLAYER hlg as I do not think any retailers advertised it. The only thing that you can take your retailers to court is over the smart connect dongle which some of the large retailers did advertise,  and samsrhave said they will not be supplying it. 

As for the edid why can not samsung just inform us if they will or will not update.  What is unreasonable about asking that question and answer in stead of just speculation from all here. 

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@mrticklewrote:
Yes, we know this, as discussed. Sky Italia's beta has indeed started before Samsung has fixed the EDID bug.

I didn't know the Sky Italia F1 HLG broadcasts were a beta test. They announced it as a live service, not beta. My point is that Samsung have not fixed the EDID bug before Sky Italia's live HLG broadcast service has started.

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

Not beta test. In Italy Sky transmit to all people F1 in 4k HLG. Next month other programs in 4k hdr

Saverio Casadidio
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Saverio571wrote:

Not beta test. In Italy Sky transmit to all people F1 in 4k HLG. Next month other programs in 4k hdr

My apologies for the misunderstanding. I could have sworn that I read that the STB software was Beta, so only beta-testers could view the broadcasts properly with other customers following when it was fully rolled out.

In that case if the HDR-aware EPG is already rolled out in Italy to all 4k customers, then Sky UK is even further behind Sky Italy than I thought! Sky UK haven't even started any beta tests of a HDR-aware EPG for SkyQ.

(aside: if any Sky+HD users are interested, the newer EPG sw R019 has been added to the "disaster recovery" download stream, so you don't need to wait months for your STB to get it - you'll get it if you force a sw download. See https://skyepginfo.co.uk/Firmware/SkyPlusHD.php)

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:
( unless you use the fury as some have said, but it is not sold in the UK). 

Yes it is sold in the UK - see http://tmfsolutions.co.uk/product/integral/

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tarbatwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

I do apologise as when I last looked I could not find a supplier and thankyou for that. But do you think that is a resonable answer for KS owners or might it not be the case that the KS should work without having to revert to a £169.00 device to make it work, and again that wil not work with Iplayer HLG or Sky HLG or will it?

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@paul1277wrote:

@tarbatwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

I do apologise as when I last looked I could not find a supplier and thankyou for that. But do you think that is a resonable answer for KS owners or might it not be the case that the KS should work without having to revert to a £169.00 device to make it work, and again that wil not work with Iplayer HLG or Sky HLG or will it?

Yes, totally agree, we shouldn't have to use a workaround to get Sky Q HLG to work on our TVs. Fortunately I already have an HDFury Integral, but I still hope that Samsung fix the EDID. All I've done is try to prove that the EDID is wrong, and that the 2016 KS TVs can accept HLG.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Yes, totally agree, we shouldn't have to use a workaround to get Sky Q HLG to work on our TVs. Fortunately I already have an HDFury Integral, but I still hope that Samsung fix the EDID. All I've done is try to prove that the EDID is wrong, and that the 2016 KS TVs can accept HLG.

And this is the issue, you have shown a way round the edid but why have Samsung not given any clear information? This is what I find unacceptable and very concerning is they re ignoring our requests for such information as they are the real experts as they designed and built the KS series. Their later models could do Iplayer HLG and probably Sky HLG but not the KS until we get this so called software update. Some here have speculated that there will be an update next month and can I ask where did that information come from. It would help if members with information can say where it originated from and its not just wish full thinking.

0 Likes