Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 19-03-2018 07:19 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@Jay108wrote:

@crashcriswrote:

@Jay108... No. The BBC are only looking to use the UHD HDR Iplayer to deliver 4K to UK homes in the short term. The only UHD channel will be on the iplayer for the time being. I think this has been covered quite a few times here already. It's what this thread is about, it's in its title.

@crashcris. Thanks for correcting me. Meaning KS owners are stuffed. 

In the short term - it seems that way. However there is hope that Samsung will fix the EDID issue so that KS owners can use an external HLG enabled device that supports the BBC iPlayer HLG app to deliver HLG over HDMI. If you have SkyQ, then UHD BBC content is already a possibility and should be option for other 'older' 4k TV owners too. It seems that JS owners though will miss out on HLG altogether. I don't know about other STB's like BT TV, Virgin V6 or other devices like Apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick yet but these 'could' be an option for 4k and maybe even HLG in the future - but again the HLG on a KS will depend on whether Samsung do the right thing and can fix the EDID issue.

As far as the internal iPlayer app goes, then 2016 and older Samsung TV owners are concerned, then yes we are 'stuffed' as you put it. Samsung appear unable to update their TV's to support the UHD/HLG enabled iPlayer app. Its been proven though that HLG can work over HDMI if you can find away around the EDID issue that currently isn't telling devices that the TV is HLG enabled - which is why these devices aren't even sending HLG to the TV.

Its not an 'ideal' situation but there is still 'some' hope that KS owners at least will be able to use an external solution to get HLG iPlayer content.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I am just going to buy a telly that can do all that was proised after Sansung gave me a refund for my 65KS9500. I would not trust other devices or Samsung to do the right thing. We here are a very tiny inconvenience and they can not even be bothered to keep this forum upto date. The KS refund is the way to go to get what you were promised, by buying a new telly. And I will not be buying a Samsung.

Paul

0 Likes
ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

I’m looking to buy a new telly for the holiday rental property I’ve bought. 

Guess which brand I’m considering following Samsung’s marvellous customer care and product support??

yep, back to Panasonic for me. This one looks like it’ll do a lovely job. 

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/panasonic-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-fr...

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@AntS

Are you able provide us with the timeline for when this big Samsung statement is going to be released? 

Days , Months, Years ?

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Have I missed something?  What statement?   Quite honestly the moderation of this site is rubbish and I've already reported @AntS.  I received a response from another moderator but it was truncated and not readable.   But this is a Samsung forum!

0 Likes
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

I have given up getting any sort of justice from Samsung. I am going to settle for making sure any review websites feel my wrath and encourage you all do the same.

I will  half an eye on this forum but will be focussing my  on my Samsung s2 classic claim for which Samsung Pay never materialised (scoundrels)

I have also made a personal vow never to buy another Samsung product in my life either personally or for my business. 

Jay108
Voyager
Options

Apology if I created some confusion. I was referring to comments by @@AntS made a week or so ago. 

He stated that there will be an am announcement / definitive statement from  Samsung on HLG , HDR10 plus etc.  

I was was merely asking when? 

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108wrote:

@AntS

Are you able provide us with the timeline for when this big Samsung statement is going to be released? 

Days , Months, Years ?

you forgot "Decades" 😞

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Jay108wrote:

Apology if I created some confusion. I was referring to comments by @@AntS made a week or so ago. 

He stated that there will be an am announcement / definitive statement from  Samsung on HLG , HDR10 plus etc.  

I was was merely asking when? 

Joking aside, whilst a definite statement from Samsung may not be exactly  imminent we should know in the near future .@AntS  is likely not able to go beyond that at the present time. The Forbes article contained an unattributed quote and is therefore unofficial even if it turns out to be correct.   As has been mentioned  several    times there  may will be  a workaround for 3rd party devices (2016 models)  if EDID issue sorted, though know  for many it is not ideal.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@JAMES4578wrote:

Joking aside, whilst a definite statement from Samsung may not be exactly  imminent we should know in the near future .@AntS  is likely not able to go beyond that at the present time. The Forbes article contained an unattributed quote and is therefore unofficial even if it turns out to be correct.   As has been mentioned  several    times there  may will be  a workaround for 3rd party devices (2016 models)  if EDID issue sorted, though know  for many it is not ideal.

Absolutely - actually it's worse: it doesn't even contain a quote! It's all Archer's words.