Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 07-03-2018 06:16 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

As expected, no statement about HDR10+ support for the 2016 models at Samsung's live event today.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

As expected, no statement about HDR10+ support for the 2016 models at Samsung's live event today.

Was it just about the 2018 models, and did they mention anything that would be via an "update" in the future?

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

They didn't mention anything other than the 2018 models, as expected. After all, it was a launch event for the 2018 sets.

I told everyone not to get their hopes up.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

They didn't mention anything other than the 2018 models, as expected. After all, it was a launch event for the 2018 sets.

I told everyone not to get their hopes up.

Oh Well,  will just have  to trust @AntS  and wait for an official statement from Samsung.   @AntS do we have rough timeline of when this statement is coming?  Are we talking about Days. Weeks or Months?

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@Saverio571wrote:

I did not laugh to explain. I said that the Oled have a brightness much lower than the Qled

I couldnt stop my laugh when you said faux HDR+ is beter than the HLG content authored as per direct intent! :smileylol:

My comment was for so called low brigtness 2016 OLED sets

I'll say again you neither understand HDR nor OLED, HLG and HDR are not about brightness, moreover infinite contrast ratio brings much more benefit on OLD for SDR, LCD/LED benefit mored with HDR compared to OLED - in fact people used to say OLED does not need HDR!

Only time LCD/LED betters OLED is using test patetrns to demonstarte high nits in side by side comparison, for complex scenes TVs like KS9000 all they can do is dsplay botches of brightness

The percieved brigtness of OLED in standaldone mode provides more punchier picture - human vison is about perception not absolute mesuremnts 

Pete1234
Explorer
Options

Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung -

That's the title of this thread not 'what external devices can I use to get HDR on my TV because Samsung isn't delivering'

Yeah I get people want to know what weird and wonderful combinations they can use to get sky HDR  in italy or whatever but it's not in any way furthering the thread topic.  Personally the thread has always been about the fact that Samsung stood out from all the other manufacturers from LG to HiSense in abandoning TVs older than 2017.  Anything changed on that?

I bet Samsung are rubbing their hands, seeing that everyone has now forgotten about the what they originally complained about and Samsung have stood silently and done absolutely zero.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

Hisense doesnt support bbc HLG mate so scrap that from the list, neither does sony

probably easier to say what does

Samsung 2017

LG 2017 and high end 2016

Panasonic 2017 and 2016

cheers

Pete1234
Explorer
Options

According to the BBC HiSense did support the BluePlanet 2 HLG trial mate.

The BBC page has been removed here is the list of TVs that supported it from archive.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171227212705/https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/blue-plane...

chopples123
Voyager
Options

No mate you misunderstand. The list was devices capable of playing the UHD stream with the HLG metadata. Very few sets other than the ones i mentioned above and perhaps the high end 2015 Panny LCD (cant be arsed checking) could show it with HLG.

Do you remember seeing the Sky Q box on the list?

cheers

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Pete1234wrote:

Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung -

That's the title of this thread not 'what external devices can I use to get HDR on my TV because Samsung isn't delivering'

Yeah I get people want to know what weird and wonderful combinations they can use to get sky HDR  in italy or whatever but it's not in any way furthering the thread topic.  Personally the thread has always been about the fact that Samsung stood out from all the other manufacturers from LG to HiSense in abandoning TVs older than 2017.  Anything changed on that?

I bet Samsung are rubbing their hands, seeing that everyone has now forgotten about the what they originally complained about and Samsung have stood silently and done absolutely zero.

I really agree with you and when I said that I got lambasted from some but it is about the uk IPLAYER hlg. I can understand it looking at sky's HDR. There is all this about hlg over hdmi and our friend who said he had proved it a few months ago then posts a article that says you could not get hlg over hdmi and I point that put I got lambasted. Even when he admitted he actually used his sat TV tuner and not a receiver which he did say. So it was impossible for him to receive hlg over hdmi.  I am here to learn why Samsung have not been honest and yes they never promised IPLAYER hlg but they could have also said it would not support iplayer.