Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 07-03-2018 03:04 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

Yes. I meant that by setting the HDR + we had an image quality comparable to the HLG. This is my opinion.

Saverio Casadidio
chopples123
Voyager
Options

Both high nit lcds and oleds have decent impact with hlg but for different reasons, with oled it’s strength is due to the high contrast from its deep blacks. With lcd the High brightness allows for greater detail in the specular highlights.

Sets which can do neither well then yes the difference won’t be great but will still benefit from the wider colour gamut

Cheers

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@Saverio571wrote:

On OLEDs that have low brightness the HLG has a greater impact than the Qled TVs with much higher brightness

Looks like you are not aware of OLED TVs, which OLED TV has higher brightness and Which is lower? the diffrenec between 2016 and 17 is merely 10%

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@Jay108wrote:

* Samsung is launching its 2018 televisions today (Weds). We are also apparently due to get an announcement from Samsung about HDR10+ on the KS 2016 models at the same event. We'll have to see what they say.

Thats interesting.  Where did you get this information from?  I am little hopeful for a positive response on HDR10+ on KS 2016 Models.  I am sure Samsung would not want to give bad news at an important launch like this.

It (the "there should be an announcement" info) came from Rudy1 on avsforums, who has been very reliable with information for years. Obviously it's only as reliable as the person who told him, and they might have changed their plans since, etc. etc!

He has? From what I've seen, he's been wrong about literally everything (he said HDR10+ on the 2016 sets was "good to go" last summer, he said the 2017 Samsung players already supported HDR10+, and he said a game mode fix was coming in November.)

Now, I'm not going to attack him personally and say he made it all up, as he very well may have been lied to, but the fact remains, his info has never been reliable.

Unfortunately, I do not expect any kind of announcement today. 

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

I did not laugh to explain. I said that the Oled have a brightness much lower than the Qled

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

HLG definitely looks much better than SDR content with HDR+ enabled. However, it doesn't look as good as HDR10. Here is a good comparison using the same demo. The HDR10 video pops more and has greater depth. 

HDR10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Dz33gtNOs

HLG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ86ThGgXk0

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@amokukwrote:

HDR+ is a fake HDR mide that applies postprocessing to a normal broadcast and make stuff brighter and give more range between dark and bright. It has nothibg to do with real HDR or HDR10 or HDR10+. In fact as soon as the ks receives a proper HDR signal it get turned off automatically, its not 

Yep know that but was asking as someone was saying hlg and HDR+ in the same paragraph if you look back. My ks8000 switches to HDR10 mode  with a hdr source even if you are using hdr10 +,  which is what it should do. 

Bit odd how someone said they were watching the hlg clip on a, 2016 set.  All must be fixed now.  

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

It's not odd at all. HLG has worked on this TV for over a year.

Is paul1111 drunk 24/7?

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@hdmiwrote:

@amokukwrote:

HDR+ is a fake HDR mide that applies postprocessing to a normal broadcast and make stuff brighter and give more range between dark and bright. It has nothibg to do with real HDR or HDR10 or HDR10+. In fact as soon as the ks receives a proper HDR signal it get turned off automatically, its not needed.

yes this italian guy is confusing everyone with misleading information - image in HDR+ mode on KS series may look brighter or puncheir but they will be noway near director's intent as KS will not treat this as HLG signal

I am glad it is not just me getting confused by our friend. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571wrote:

I did not laugh to explain. I said that the Oled have a brightness much lower than the Qled

If you make a statement then why not explain it so we can all learn something new . I don't think that is unreasonable and may help to stop me getting 😖 confused.