Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 06-03-2018 02:38 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwellwrote:

This is a really helpful summary, thank you MrTickle.

You're most welcome :smiling-face: I've added a 3a for clarity. Obviously, Mr @UHDHDR has one of the "less strict" devices.

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Great, thanks.

There's a lot to hopeful of here - although I doubt it will be a straightforward road to HLG-HDR in all of its glory.

amokuk
Voyager
Options
I might be completely wrong here but the set topbox doesn't negate the transport layer does it? Ie it will still require either dvb-dash or mpeg-dash as the transport protocol to stream to the tv. So im not sure what we gain here. I very much doubt that its JUST an EDID issue...

I know for a fact that virgin are looking at mpeg-dash as the transport layer from set top to tv.
chopples123
Voyager
Options

for those interested have a read of this regarding a third party DASH app, this was flagged back in April 

https://github.com/google/shaka-player/issues/771

You ask why an external device matters, well it will be using its own player and not the internal player on the Samsung Set.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@chopples123wrote:

for those interested have a read of this regarding a third party DASH app, this was flagged back in April 

https://github.com/google/shaka-player/issues/771

You ask why an external device matters, well it will be using its own player and not the internal player on the Samsung Set.

Yes, picked up that info from the Samsung Developers site from the link paul1111 posted yesterday.

I believe they're slighly incorrect however, as Netflix utilises Widevine as its DRM - Whether it's using Wildvine Classic or the newer Wildvine Modular (and don't get me started on the bleeding edge version that'll replace both of these, called WildvineCAS) is not known. 

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

Yep, they state  the eme implementation on Tizen 2.4 is incomplete, whatever this means.

There have been lots of devs asking this and receive no response from samsung,  such as https://developer.tizen.org/ko/forums/web-application-development/html5-mseeme-supported?langswitch=...

This is how I think it works, a bit simplified but hear me out. Using Iplayer as an example:-

1. Stream

2.App

3.Player

4.Display

now i believe for the iplayer app the issues arrive somewhere between 2 and 3, other devs attempting to build DASH clients have reported this, on top of that people have confirmed the content working on the player itself either over dlna/usb or whatever so how it is encoded is fine, the TV can handle it.

If we where to use an external device, using say a virgin V6 box for example as they have a limited trial with HLG, then stages 1-3 would be handled by the box itself. We now know there is another issue though with the EDID which complicates 3-4. There are instances though posted in this thread where everything functions correctly over HDMI which makes me feel more optomistic that this can be addressed, if that makes sense

cheers

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@chopples123wrote:

Yep, they state  the eme implementation on Tizen 2.4 is incomplete, whatever this means.

There have been lots of devs asking this and receive no response from samsung,  such as https://developer.tizen.org/ko/forums/web-application-development/html5-mseeme-supported?langswitch=...

This is how I think it works, a bit simplified but hear me out. Using Iplayer as an example:-

1. Stream

2.App

3.Player

4.Display

now i believe for the iplayer app the issues arrive somewhere between 2 and 3, other devs attempting to build DASH clients have reported this, on top of that people have confirmed the content working on the player itself either over dlna/usb or whatever so how it is encoded is fine, the TV can handle it.

If we where to use an external device, using say a virgin V6 box for example as they have a limited trial with HLG, then stages 1-3 would be handled by the box itself. We now know there is another issue though with the EDID which complicates 3-4. There are instances though posted in this thread where everything functions correctly over HDMI which makes me feel more optomistic that this can be addressed, if that makes sense

cheers

At the end of the day, everything I've read over the past 24 hours does point to some sort of software or firmware fault, and probably boils down to  replaceable Javascript to me, whether Samsung want to pull their fingers out of their backside is the million dollar question, cos at the moment they don't seem to be.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@chopples123wrote:

1. Stream

2.App

3.Player

4.Display

cheers

At the end of the day, everything I've read over the past 24 hours does point to some sort of software or firmware fault, and probably boils down to  replaceable Javascript to me, whether Samsung want to pull their fingers out of their backside is the million dollar question, cos at the moment they don't seem to be.

Does this mean that if sky works we may be able to get the IPLAYER hlg through sky.  Just a thought. 

chopples123
Voyager
Options

I would say so mate, likewise with the virgin V6. 

They have confirmed they wont go back and look at Tizen, fingers and toes crossed that there is some solution

cheers

dunwell
Voyager
Options

That would be my expectation - and the reason why this thread is now more important than ever to focus on the wider issue rather than just the iPlayer TV app.