Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-03-2018 09:54 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

Oh, by the way, I do remember someone from AVS confirming that HLG video on his Oppo via USB did trigger HDR on his KS TV. So that would indicate that the TV does indeed support HEVC HLG over HDMI.

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

Just got home. Will have the screenshots taken and uploaded in a few minutes.

But I can answer the question in the last paragraph right now. HLG over HDMI from the player does not work via USB, it works only via the YouTube app. That could just mean that the player doesn't support HEVC HLG via USB, though.

Thank you. It could just mean that the USB ports aren't HLG enabled at all - not just for HEVC but was worth asking. I don't know to what extent the Bluray player is HLG enabled and doesn't conclusively prove that HLG doesn't work but would of been an interesting result if it did.

Once again thanks for trying though.

@UHDHDRwrote:

Oh, by the way, I do remember someone from AVS confirming that HLG video on his Oppo via USB did trigger HDR on his KS TV. So that would indicate that the TV does indeed support HEVC HLG over HDMI.

This seems to indicate then that the Samsung Bluray Players don't have HLG Enabled USB ports. At least if the Oppo can do it, there is hope that other devices will too in the future. I know its very early in the life of HLG - not just in terms of content but also hardware so again it looks like we will have to wait and see how things develop.

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

By the way, Samsung has now deleted the US press releases about HDR10+ from their sute, too.

https://news.samsung.com/us/hdr10-plus-samsung-amazon-video-deliver-next-generation-hdr-video-experi...

LOL!!

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@BAMozzywrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

But I can answer the question in the last paragraph right now. HLG over HDMI from the player does not work via USB, it works only via the YouTube app. That could just mean that the player doesn't support HEVC HLG via USB, though.

Thank you. It could just mean that the USB ports aren't HLG enabled at all - not just for HEVC but was worth asking. I don't know to what extent the Bluray player is HLG enabled and doesn't conclusively prove that HLG doesn't work but would of been an interesting result if it did.

That is strange because each time I try to play back the HLG clips via USB, it works.

It worked a year ago - in fact we need to say a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY! to HLG support, because it arrived in firmware 1165.1 on Sat 25th Feb 2017 - and it still works today. There's nothing I can do to it to stop it working!

***EDIT: I now see what you were saying. You're talking about the USB ports of the external Blu-Ray player. I understand.***

I've already posted screenshots of the built-in USB player playing it for Paul weeks ago, but there's no harm in posting it yet again:

Cymatic Jazz HDR info bar-with arrow.png

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

Here is the screenshot.  You can see its being played via HDMI source.

Yk33qITr

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

Here is the screenshot.  You can see its being played via HDMI source.

Yk33qITr

Many thanks for going to that trouble. That's a slam-dunk :smiling-face:

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@BAMozzywrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

That is strange because each time I try to play back the HLG clips via USB, it works.

It worked a year ago - in fact we need to say a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY! to HLG support, because it arrived in firmware 1165.1 on Sat 25th Feb 2017 - and it still works today. There's nothing I can do to it to stop it working!

***EDIT: I now see what you were saying. You're talking about the USB ports of the external Blu-Ray player. I understand.***

I've already posted screenshots of the built-in USB player playing it for Paul weeks ago, but there's no harm in posting it yet again:

Cymatic Jazz HDR info bar-with arrow.png

I was referring to the in-built USB ports on external devices. I know its pretty pointless as we can plug those USB's directly into the OCB and see they work but it was just to see if there was external HLG enabled devices that would also show that it works over HDMI - not just the youtube app but also the HEVC codec. Of course that does rely on the external devices having HLG enabled USB ports too.

It seems that the Oppo 203 though is able to do this - not that I have one myself. This adds to the devices we know can deliver HLG over HDMI and not just the youtube HLG either.

@UHDHDRI still can't see how people are able to say categorically that HLG doesn't work over HDMI - especially now with photographic proof that clearly shows the format as HLG and on HDMI with the 'HDR' notification. No doubt someone will say that the TV states HDR and not HLG despite the fact that HLG IS HDR and the Samsung TV does not differentiate between the different formats. HDR is HDR whether its HLG HDR or HDR10 HDR.

Anyway Thanks again for doing this, its very much appreciated.

JTE
Navigator
Options

Why or why has this thread been hijacked by members who have nothing to say about BBC iPlayer UHD?

Samsung must be delighted that the waters are getting muddied. What can I say it’s all smoke and mirrors to me whether HLG is available over HDMI or USB.

something smells exceedingly fish to me.

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

It hasn't been hijacked. 

This thread may have started life because of the iPlayer issue but it's given rise to a legitimate discussion on a far larger question of whether our TVs actually have the capability to decode 'real world' HLG - particularly live broadcasts over platforms such as SkyQ. 

The iPlayer issue is only a small subset of this debate now and - in my opinion - is far less important than the wider question.

Thanks to all of those posters so far who have made some really useful contributions, particularly screenshots etc. It's unfortunate that a particular member keeps resorting to a one man driven hate campaign.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@JTEwrote:

Why or why has this thread been hijacked by members who have nothing to say about BBC iPlayer UHD?

Samsung must be delighted that the waters are getting muddied. What can I say it’syl smoke and mirrors to me whether HLG is available over HDMI or USB.

something smells exceedingly fish to me.

I think its could be called denial of service attack in that so much stuff is put on that the really subject is lost. Why don't they start their own threads about HLG over hdmi service. Nothing to do with IPLAYER. I only asked the question because the person going on about HLG hdmi a while ago posted a thread saying it could not be done through hdmi.  I am only going what another well informed member posted and yer there was no mention of what he posted as being wrong and him trying to miss lead this discussion.  Yes I agree a bit fishy. 

0 Likes