Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-03-2018 09:47 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Again a torrent of stuff. The only question here will the KS receive BBC Iplayer HLG, yes or no? Anything else is not an issue here.

Please go back to AV Forums where it seems if you criticised you or your mates you get banded. I am waiting for you response when Sky HDR does not work. Please now leave me alone as I feel that this is harassment and nothing to do with Iplayer which is what this thread is about.

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
Obviously you do not understand or pretend not to understand. Change speech depending on what suits you.
It's time for you to finish it
Saverio Casadidio
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@paul1111wrote:

Again a torrent of stuff. The only question here will the KS receive BBC Iplayer HLG, yes or no? Anything else is not an issue here.

Please go back to AV Forums where it seems if you criticised you or your mates you get banded. I am waiting for you response when Sky HDR does not work. Please now leave me alone as I feel that this is harassment and nothing to do with Iplayer which is what this thread is about.

Actually the thread isn't specific to BBC iPlayer HLG. Its YOU that constantly change the goalpost when others are testing HLG over USB/HDMI. The TV Will NOT be getting the iPlayer HLG App - it won't even be getting the UHD version - but that doesn't mean the TV isn't 4K.

Why don't you leave if all you are going to do is criticise others for trying to find out to what extent HLG Is enabled, what works and what doesn't etc. If you don't like being called a liar, spreading miss-information, changing goalposts and being called out on it - something you call 'harassment' then leave - you won't be missed!!!

Its NOT harassment - not like you are doing to others, misquoting them, not even bothering to read their posts or findings, trying to discredit their findings by moving goalposts to suit your arguments and the behaving childishly when called out - to the point of accusing people of being employed by Samsung.

@The Moderator @AntS stated:-

In this thread, if you’re going to raise the question whether of HLG works at all, or how and in what ways, then any posts on that are to be expected, and are fine IMO. They’re at least more interesting and informative than a “bump”. In response to demands (explicit or implied) of proof, like in good science, 'proof' is best coming from you folks in the Community trying out things for yourselves, and sharing your experiences, thinking, and knowledge with each other, rather than anyone from Samsung trying to convince you.

Therefore it is fine to discuss HLG other than specific to the BBC iPlayer App.

Maybe you should stop harrassing others and making sweeping statements that are not factual and if you can't do that - leave instead of trying to discredit others that are actually endeavouring to help the Samsung KS TV Owners and benifitting the community with their findings and testing. Even if they are not UK based, they are at least contributing positively....

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

How can they be contributing positively when they claim they got HLG over HDMI and the say opps it was over the inbuilt turner. I can see what is going on and I know I will be blaster out with anything I say because it does not help Samsung in their propaganda. I give up not because I am wrong but because I am fed up with this harassment. I will go to ks refund and help were I can. This thread is defunct because we know the KS will never get BBC Iplayer HLG. So I will now say my good byes and leave it to Samsung lackey's.

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
Finish it. For me or you are not able to make a speech or you're a kid. In both cases it's time for you to finish it.
Saverio Casadidio
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111wrote:

I give up not because I am wrong but because I am fed up with this harassment.

Actually you were the one dishing out the harassment, after you'd been asked many times to stop. Nevertheless, thankyou for at last admitting that you were wrong.

However I'm not surprised that you left before @UHDHDR has had a chance to post his screenshots - I suspect they would have been too inconvenient for you.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@paul1111wrote:

I give up not because I am wrong but because I am fed up with this harassment.

Actually you were the one dishing out the harassment, after you'd been asked many times to stop. Nevertheless, thankyou for at last admitting that you were wrong.

However I'm not surprised that you left before @UHDHDR has had a chance to post his screenshots - I suspect they would have been too inconvenient for you.

I did not admit i was wrong!!

I did ask how did @Saverio571 get HLG over HDMI, is that wrong especially when he posted a link that said you could not get HLG over HDMI.

https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?193907-Sky-4K-HDR-(DVB-S2-11219H-29900-5-6)/page38

He her then said he got the HLG from their in built tuner which is not HDMI. So how can he insist HLG over HDMI works when he admits he has not done it.

But that does not matter as we know the you can not get Iplayer HLG, and I suspect Sky HLG. I may be wrong and we will see in a few days time and if I am I will accept that I am wrong.  Please now stop this barrage of harassment, I only passed on things I had read and never said I was an expert, but just an upset KS9000 owner who feels very let down by Samsung. It seem the agenda here has changed to support Samsung which I do believe is unsupportable! It is to deflect away from the main issue and that is no Iplayer HLG. 

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@paul1111wrote:

How can they be contributing positively when they claim they got HLG over HDMI and the say opps it was over the inbuilt turner. I can see what is going on and I know I will be blaster out with anything I say because it does not help Samsung in their propaganda. I give up not because I am wrong but because I am fed up with this harassment. I will go to ks refund and help were I can. This thread is defunct because we know the KS will never get BBC Iplayer HLG. So I will now say my good byes and leave it to Samsung lackey's.

Because they DID get HLG over HDMI via the Bluray Player - in case you happen to have forgotten that point because it doesn't suit your argument. In fact, they have stated the Samsung Bluray players and Oppo 203 have all delivered HLG over HDMI and this has been confirmed by others as well - just look at other forums like AVSForums. The issue with DirectTV that you were so keen to use to prove HLG doesn't work over HDMI is more an issue of communication between the two devices. The 'experts' state that the it isn't whether the TV is HLG enabled via HDMI or not but the fact that the TV isn't able to communicate that it is HLG enabled to the DirectTV box. This is different to 'not being able to play HLG over HDMI as its a separate issue that is preventing it. Like the fact that the Tizen OS is not able to play the BBC HLG OR UHD iPlayer app - not the fact the TV isn't HLG or 4k enabled.

Your the one making sweeping statements, saying HLG isn't enabled at all outside of the youtube app, yet its proven that the same youtube HLG content works as expected via HDMI from Samsung and Oppo 203 Bluray players as well as the HLG Demo's via USB - thus proving that HLG does work via USB and HDMI. That doesn't mean every HLG device will therefore work, as DirectTV proves because the device itself may not be getting the right information from the TV BUT that doesn't mean HLG doesn't work but that other issues are impacting on their capability to send and play HLG. That of course is a concern but there is 'hope' as there are rumours of a fix to ensure that the TV communicates properly with these devices. That again won't necessarily come in the form of a 'HLG' update but an update that sends the information to these devices that tell them the TV is HLG enabled! You can't use a different problem to make sweeping statements about something else.

Its hardly 'propaganda' either. You were the one adamant that only VP9 HLG worked so we provide proof that HEVC works too. You were the one demanding 'proof' that HLG worked over USB/HDMI. When 'proof' arrived, it was you that then changed the goalposts, demanding what devices worked over HDMI, so people provided you with devices that worked. When they arrived, it was you that then changed the goalposts to devices that aren't even HDR enabled yet and narrowing from HLG to BBC iPlayer HLG specifically. People went out of their way to help you, to show that HLG can work but you decide that isn't good enough, that we must work for Samsung and that the information is invalid because it doesn't suit your argument or personal crusade.

Instead of changing goalposts, trying to discredit the help and positive contributions of these, why don't you thank them for trying, thank them for providing more information on the HLG capability of these TV's? I appreciate their efforts as it helps give us a clearer indication of how HLG has been implemented, what its limitations are and what potential pitfalls may crop up in the future...

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@BAMozzywrote:

@paul1111wrote:

I have had enough of this from our over seas friends. Does the KS do BBC IplayerHLG??? That is the only question here. I have had enough of your shouting which is nothing to do with this thread so why don't you make your own threads if you wantb to keep on about what ever it is you want to do. 

The big test will be Sky HDR and if it works great. If not I will be going to KS refunds.

Please stop harrasing me as thats what this seems like and I am not a tech expert and only can go off what i read. 

Yet again - changing the goalposts!!!!

You constantly ask for proof that HLG works over USB/HDMI and when proof comes, you dismiss it because its not BBC iPlayers HLG. THAT IS NOT THE POINT. The fact is that proof exists that HLG works over both USB AND over HDMI with 'SOME' sources. Whether that's any of the Samsung Bluray players or the Oppo 203 via HDMI OR any of the countless HLG Demo's that can be downloaded and plugged into the OCB directly.

These proove that HLG itself CAN work via both USB AND HDMI. The issue with DirectTV in the US isn't HLG but the fact that the DirectTV isn't receiving the correct information to tell it the TV is HLG enabled. Whether Sky (or any other HLG device) can communicate with the TV properly to get HLG, whether it has BBC iPlayer HLG or not, we don't know because we CANNOT test these devices yet. That doesn't change the fact though that HLG CAN work over both HDMI and USB. The issue could well be more about compatibility with the TV rather than whether the TV can play HLG. It maybe that 1 device works perfectly, inc with BBC iPlayer but another may not because its not able to communicate.

You can't convert HLG to HDR10 - not without taking that into some post processing software, analysing the whole clip and creating the metadata. That doesn't mean its also some 'pseudo' HDR+ type conversion going on either as it properly switches the TV over to HDR mode.

If you also bothered to try that HLG 'Jazz' Clip, you would see that HLG image differes from HDR. The fact the KS only states 'HDR' as an all-encompassing format (which includes both HDR10 and HLG) is NOT indicative of the TV/device converting HLG to HDR10 format. The fact is that the same content, when played on other TV's (like the LG OLEDs) that are more specific with their notifications, state the content is HLG. The 'Jazz' clip, when played on a 'Q' series still states HDR in the notification but if you go to the picture settings and look at the 'gamma', it states HLG here. On LG's, that clip states HLG - but then the LG gives more info as it also states DV for Dolby Vision and HDR for HDR10.

As I said, you constantly state that HLG doesn't work over USB/HDMI and yet when proof comes in, you change the goalpost, make excuses as to why its not valid or not relevant - anything so you can KEEP making the same statement and then again ask for proof that HLG doesn't work. Instead of accepting peoples findings, even bothering to properly read the links you are so keen to use to back up your argument, even to the point of using articles written by those with no 'qualification' to make those statements as 'fact' because it backs up your relentless BS.

Of course I am NOT happy that iPlayer can't be updated to 4k let alone HLG but you don't constantly say the TV isn't 4k because this 3rd Party app can't be updated to offer 4k. That is exactly the same argument and not indicative of the fact that the TV hasn't got some HLG functionality. Of course I have concerns about HLG via SkyQ but as yet, we don't have any information that it won't work or be working when it comes to the UK. Of course I would love to have Samsung come into this thread and categorically state one way or another, give us the most accurate information - including what HLG works over USB and HDMI. Its clear that its not as easy as just plugging in 'ANY' HLG device and it working as the device and TV need to communicate properly.

The fact that DirectTV isn't working doesn't mean that HLG over HDMI doesn't work - especially as the 'experts' all say that the issue is a communication issue - the DirectTV box isn't receiving the correct information that the TV is HLG enabled and therefore not sending HLG to the TV. Whether that also occurs with Sky, we will have to wait and see but that again doesn't mean that HLG can't work over HDMI, but that the Devices cannot communicate with the TV accurately. It has been proven that HLG CAN work over both USB and HDMI, its now down to whether the devices will be fully compatible.

You need to stop changing goalposts. Why quote the DirectTV situation as 'proof' - even though its a different issueand then shout down those outside of the UK because its not iPlayer? You can't have 1 rule for you and a different rule for everyone else that desn't side with you!!! Why not use the HEVC/VP9 demos to prove that HLG works over USB?

@UHDHDR Please can you use the 'HLG Jazz Demo' http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/ to test whether this works as expecte when plugged into your Bluray player? It works when plugged into my OCB and this would also proove that HEVC (rather than just VP9 like youtube uses) works (or not) over HDMI? Thanks

Just got home. Will have the screenshots taken and uploaded in a few minutes.

But I can answer the question in the last paragraph right now. HLG over HDMI from the player does not work via USB, it works only via the YouTube app. That could just mean that the player doesn't support HEVC HLG via USB, though.

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options
Actually lets get it right here, the ks does not advertise itself as hlg enabled via hdmi interrogation according to the directv guy. That is not a sometime it does sometimes it doesn't situation. So with that in mind it technically does not work over over hdmi. Whatever the bluray players are doing is not standard so it is broken. That's pretty much a given so stop saying it works just because some bluray hack a way around it by not respecting what they are being told. Its also been stated that the picture is massively saturated almost like its ...broken!
0 Likes