Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-03-2018 05:35 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

Another interest snippit from AVS forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
I can watch the content in 4k, but the TV will not go into HDR mode.

Right - so your DirecTV box is sending a 4K HLG signal, but because your TV isn't going into HLG mode it is displaying this in SDR mode (which HLG is backwards compatible with - and you just get rolled off clipping on the highlights rather than brighter bits, but saturation and black levels are pretty much OK).

Quote:
This TV does not have a way to manually force HDR, it has to detect HDR content.

Yes - but does the TV actually have any ability to detect HLG via HDMI? Or can it just accept HDR10?

Quote:
Here's what DirecTV engineering said after reviewing the diagnostic log from their set top box:

Reviewing the EDID, we found that the TV is reporting that it does not support HLG HDR.

Yep - the TV is not saying to sources that it supports HLG.

Whether if a source ignores this and says 'I'm HLG' the TV will go into HLG mode is the question I guess? Sounds unlikely...

Could it be the TV is HLG compatible in the file domain (for streaming and local file playback) but not via HDMI (because the HDMI sub-system is too old to detect the HLG metadata and/or to flag HLG compatibility via EDID)?

That poster is clueless. Doesn't even know that HLG doesn't have metadata.

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

Paul1111 you are not able to read what are posted. 

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571wrote:

Paul1111 you are not able to read what are posted. 

Think its called google translate and this is what you posted a link to 

A clarification about the Samsung TVs 2016 (K series) 

Currently through HDMI do not yet support the HDR HLG (Only via USB and Tuner support HDR HLG) 

Soon will come a new version sw that will also enable HDMI to HDR HLG 

While the models 2015 (J series) of Samsung will never be made compatible with the HDR HLG

Which says you can not get HLG over HDMI.
0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

it is impossible to dialogue with you. I replied to the fact that you asked if HLG or HDR appears. Samsung always writes HDR.
Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571wrote:

it is impossible to dialogue with you. I replied to the fact that you asked if HLG or HDR appears. Samsung always writes HDR.

Ok just answer me this one question. How did you get HLG over HDMI when the article you posted said that could not happen?

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@Saverio571wrote:

Ok just answer me this one question. How did you get HLG over HDMI when the article you posted said that could not happen?

It's not an article. It's an admin on a forum who has as much info as a customer support agent - i.e. absolutely no info.

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

if uhdudr writes that through a bluray reader reads correctly hlg files you have to believe him. Probably some devices do not recognize that the KS recognizes the HLG.
on the 8th we will know if Sky Q displays the HLG on the KS.

Saverio Casadidio
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

@Saverio571wrote:

It's not an article. It's an admin on a forum who has as much info as a customer support agent - i.e. absolutely no info.

How can you say that? What evidence do you have that they are making it up? Even @Saverio571 thought it must be correct to supply the link. I think an administrator of a tech forum will be sure of their facts.

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

Wait 8 March. In this date se know if HLG from Sky Q works.

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

@Saverio571wrote:

How can you say that? What evidence do you have that they are making it up? Even @Saverio571 thought it must be correct to supply the link. I think an administrator of a tech forum will be sure of their facts.

Because they are on the same level as customer support agents who have absolutely no clue about anything. I've had private conversations with admins on the US Samsung forum and they barely know anything about the products.

0 Likes