Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-03-2018 05:17 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

I may be wrong but I think HLG support was initially only part of the HDMI 2.1 standard, and initially we were going to have to wait for HDMI 2.1 displays for HLG support. However it was agreed that it could be added to the HDMI 2.0b spec as well (or HDMI 2.0b displays could support HLG without adding any other HDMI 2.1 features) - to allow HDMI 2.0b sets to be upgraded to HLG with a firmware update, or HLG support to be standard on HDMI 2.0b sets.

Interesting

The HDMI Spec itself mandates that features can be supported within revision families (1.x, 2.x, etc) and manufacturers should be ensuring they are able to firmware upgrade as required.

We're not ever going to get things like eARC, but Samsung is willy waving again saying it's supporting VRR in 2018 sets - but don't fall for the PR rubbish - HDMI 2.1 isn't even fully ratified yet. 

amokuk
Voyager
Options

an issue with display you say.... almost like its triggering something it shouldn't that doesnt work properly... :smiling-face:

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@amokukwrote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here... There is probably a good reason the ks doesn't advertise itself as HLG capable communicating with hardware over hdmi and i would bet its the reason it doesn't advertise that capability to iplayer as well. It can't do it properly! The only hardware people are talking about that "verifies" over hdmi are Samsung bluray players using an app that we know already works internally on the tv. I bet its just bypassing some check or their bluray player is broken and it doesn't do what its meant to do during communication. Which would be hilarious tbh...

I think the Samsung players are converting the HLG signal to HDR10 so the to get round the KS not being able to deal with the HLG source. I don't think the player is actually sending a HLG signal. That is why it looks like it is playing HLG. 

But I could be wrong.

Having the player doing an HLG to HDR10 conversion would be much more complicated than simply supporting HLG. So that's unlikely. 

As stated, people on AVS with an Oppo player are also reporting that HLG videos trigger HDR on their KS TV.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@paul1111wrote:

I may be wrong but I think HLG support was initially only part of the HDMI 2.1 standard, and initially we were going to have to wait for HDMI 2.1 displays for HLG support. However it was agreed that it could be added to the HDMI 2.0b spec as well (or HDMI 2.0b displays could support HLG without adding any other HDMI 2.1 features) - to allow HDMI 2.0b sets to be upgraded to HLG with a firmware update, or HLG support to be standard on HDMI 2.0b sets.

Interesting

The HDMI Spec itself mandates that features can be supported within revision families (1.x, 2.x, etc) and manufacturers should be ensuring they are able to firmware upgrade as required.

We're not ever going to get things like eARC, but Samsung is willy waving again saying it's supporting VRR in 2018 sets - but don't fall for the PR rubbish - HDMI 2.1 isn't even fully ratified yet. 

This confirms get everything in writing from the retailer about all these promises and if the renege again you have it in black and white, and claim a refund for misrepresentation. It may (doubt it) stop all this confusion.

Again why won't Samsung just give us the info and answer the questions we are discussing it would help.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@UHDHDR when playing hlg from your player does your ks show it as HLG or as HDR?

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@UHDHDR when playing hlg from your player does your ks show it as HLG or as HDR?

It's the same as when HLG videos are displayed via the TV's internal apps. It just says "HDR." Which is correct, HLG is an HDR format.

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

samsung writes in file information hdr for both hdr10 and hlg.

Thinking that converting hlg to hdr10 means not understanding what this means. It is impossibile.

Saverio Casadidio
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

The Stats for Nerds in the YT app from the player correctly says "HLG" though.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Another interest snippit from AVS forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
I can watch the content in 4k, but the TV will not go into HDR mode.

Right - so your DirecTV box is sending a 4K HLG signal, but because your TV isn't going into HLG mode it is displaying this in SDR mode (which HLG is backwards compatible with - and you just get rolled off clipping on the highlights rather than brighter bits, but saturation and black levels are pretty much OK).

Quote:
This TV does not have a way to manually force HDR, it has to detect HDR content.

Yes - but does the TV actually have any ability to detect HLG via HDMI? Or can it just accept HDR10?

Quote:
Here's what DirecTV engineering said after reviewing the diagnostic log from their set top box:

Reviewing the EDID, we found that the TV is reporting that it does not support HLG HDR.

Yep - the TV is not saying to sources that it supports HLG.

Whether if a source ignores this and says 'I'm HLG' the TV will go into HLG mode is the question I guess? Sounds unlikely...

Could it be the TV is HLG compatible in the file domain (for streaming and local file playback) but not via HDMI (because the HDMI sub-system is too old to detect the HLG metadata and/or to flag HLG compatibility via EDID)?

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571wrote:

samsung writes in file informatico hdr for both hdr10 and hlg.

Thinking that converting hlg to hdr10 means not understanding what this means. It is impossibile.

You posted an article that said it was not possible to get HLG over HDMI!

0 Likes