Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-03-2018 12:12 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

Yeah, just checked the SkyQ box specs, and the 2tb ones are HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 compliant, whereas the 1tb and Mini are only HDMI 1.4b.

Depends whether they're able to firmware upgrade the HDMI to 2.0a on the 1tb's like they did on the 2tb's.

We can therefore expect them to have to upgrade the HDMI ports to HDMI 2.0b for HLG output to be supported. That was the only change between HDMI2.0a and HDMI2.0b, and HDMI2.0a does not support HLG.

Sky knowingly designing, building and selling 4K devices launched in 2016 that were clobbered with HDMI1.4 and didn't support HDMI2.0a tells you everything you need to know about that company. Let's hope for Sky's sake that ALL boxes are firmware-upgradeable to HDMI2.0b.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:

Yeah, just checked the SkyQ box specs, and the 2tb ones are HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 compliant, whereas the 1tb and Mini are only HDMI 1.4b.

Depends whether they're able to firmware upgrade the HDMI to 2.0a on the 1tb's like they did on the 2tb's.

We can therefore expect them to have to upgrade the HDMI ports to HDMI 2.0b for HLG output to be supported. That was the only change between HDMI2.0a and HDMI2.0b, and HDMI2.0a does not support HLG.

Sky knowingly designing, building and selling 4K devices launched in 2016 that were clobbered with HDMI1.4 and didn't support HDMI2.0a tells you everything you need to know about that company. Let's hope for Sky's sake that ALL boxes are firmware-upgradeable to HDMI2.0b.

Bit  of topic but useful. One thing is Sky never made promises and then renaged on them unlike Samsung. Is there any concreate information that says the ks will be able to receive the Sky HLG? 

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277wrote:

@hdmiwrote:

@paul1277wrote:

That is within spec according to Samsung technical department!

Would you ever buy a Samsung when they say that is normal.

I am so glad that I went for LG OLED as a replacemnet for KS9000, I was also told that picture is within spec when I reported problem on KS9000

Probably no Samsung TV in future unless they get their act togather

How do you find the oled?  Is it ok with HDR ? 

Much better than any other TV I have seen, in fact even better than Sony OLED, which may have slightly better PQ  at close up but beyond 2 meters dosent really matter, in trems of brightness ZD9 beats it but again with certain artefacts during dark scenes 

Dynamic tone mapping with HDR10 works wonders, DV is at another level

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

Just a reminder that we're all still waiting for an official statement from Samsung. We have one journalist's webpage WHICH DOESN'T EVEN NAME ANYONE FROM SAMSUNG who supposedly gave him the information, and that's all.

• No official statement here, on this forum where it started, from a Moderator.
  • No press release with grovelling apology and offers of free replacements with working TVs as compensation.

Meanwhile - whilst I'm sure we've all decided not to buy another Samsung TV and tell everyone we know by this old-fashioned yet powerful thing called "word of mouth" what Samsung have done - Samsung are bringing their cavalier attitude up to a whole new level.

They now want to annoy me even more by advertising completely unrelated products at me in my own home against my express preferences I selected on the TV and in my so-called "Samsung account":

Samsung advert.png

Way to go, Samsung. You've just shot yourselves in the foot and made me add telephones to the list of things I won't buy from you.

NB: I don't need anyone to tell me how this forced advertising works (I already know) or why it is appearing in my home. It is the company's lack of joined-up thinking and attitude I am exposing here.

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

I’d never touch a Samsung phone anyway. Learnt that years ago - just a shame I didn’t learn not to buy a TV off them too!! They do the same with their phones I.e drop support and future updates after 12 months.

As much as people diss Apple for many things, support is one of their strongest points and one of the reasons I now only buy iPhones. I’m definitely not an Apple ‘fanboy’ in fact I don’t even like Mac OS, but their support is outstanding and you can still rely on updates 3-4 years later. 

Hopefully my next TV brand will show the same and better support than Samsung.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Here are a couple of links may be interestion

http://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/general-specifications

https://github.com/google/shaka-player/issues/771

Its also interesting how there are some here trying to blame BBC Iplayer so diverting away from Samsung, by saying its the fault of BBC Iplayer for not updateing the app, which we know is rubbish because why does it work on 2017 models but not older? No answer here from Samsung but we did get an answer from Forbes 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/02/23/samsung-confirms-no-bbc-iplayer-hdr-support-for-i...

Which says

"

The issue is that the BBC’s HLG streams uses the so-called DVB-DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP) system, as per European broadcaster streaming guidelines. And support for this format is apparently too complicated to be added via a mere firmware update to the software platform inside Samsung’s 2016 TVs.

It seems unfortunate that Samsung didn’t foresee this situation; after all, the BBC is using a Europe-approved delivery system, not just some proprietary one-off platform it’s rustled up by itself. It has to be said, too, that Panasonic and LG’s HDR 2016 TVs do support the BBC iPlayer’s HLG streams."

Pretty clear,

What it means is our Tizen 2.4 can not be updated. The 2017 have Tizen 3.0 which goes into more depth here,

https://github.com/google/shaka-player/issues/771

The Iplayer still has a Planet Earth 2 4k HLG sample and can be found if the TV or device is compatible in settings page, and yes my son showed it to me yeaterday on a LG OLED and it looked pretty good.

So I think this thread has no where to go really as it seems the KS or older will never get BBC Iplayer HLG.

Also the KS will never get the Smart Connect USB Dongle or very unlikely HDR10+!!!

I think this should now be the main thread,

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-Owners-refund/m-p/358805#M6259

and

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/Samsung-refund/m-p/367928#M6577

edindundee
Pioneer
Options

@paul1111

I agree, the other threads are now the way for people to continue the fight.

I'm keeping the ks since it's the biggest telly I can get on the TV stand, and the wife isn't getting rid of the TV stand. It's to expensive to get rid of the wife.

So until hlg broadcasts are more common, it stays.

However I will never buy another samsung product:

phones (mobile)

phones (house, multipacks)

Memory cards

Usb sticks

kitchen appliances

PC monitors

TVs

bluray players

The list goes on, and I will actively discourage everyone I know from buying samsung.

SAMSUNG - YOU SUCK

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I'm posting this  on behalf of @Saverio571  in connection with SkyQ's  4K HDR:

In Italy Sky from March 25 will broadcast  F1 in 4k HDR on Sky Q. On 8 March the beta testers will receive an update that enables the HDMI port to 2.0b. At this time the Samsung 2016  sets are not compatible with the Sky HLG via HDMI port. As far as I know  they have promised a firmware that enables the HLG of Sky but do not know when it will arrive.
The solution adopted by Sky in Italy for 4K HDR will be the same as that which shall be  be adopted in the UK.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

dunwell
Voyager
Options

If that is the case here then I will be absolutely gutted. 

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options
And will also be a definite break of their weasel promise around “broadcast” HDR.
0 Likes