Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 25-02-2018 10:28 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@paul1277wrote:

@Jay108wrote:

@crashcriswrote:

At present the Roku stick+ does play 4k iplayer on the js TV however it is NOT able to display the video in HLG as the Roku didn't have the appropriate upgrade (perhaps it never will), I don't know if in the future the Roku 4k iplayer gets HLG how it might affect the JS, perhaps it might stop it from playing 4k iplayer completely (who knows?)  I tried the test on my JS8000 with the Roku and I was not impressed at all, as I have posted previously, the supposed 4k iplayer picture of Blue Planet II didn't look any sharper when compared to the HD 1080p image as was broadcast over the air (this might be because of the excellent upscaling of the HD image that the JS does itself). I love the JS8000 and shall keep it for as long as possible, and when it needs replacing I'll be replacing it with anything but a Samsung due to their obvious contempt for their customers.

I am sure a version of Roku was on the list of supported devices on BBC iplayer HLG.  

I do remember the roku was not on the supported group for IPLAYER HLG. 

I am sure ROKU 3810EU was on the list of supported devices on bbc Iplayer .  

0 Likes
chiraag88
Journeyman
Options

Hi all,

i have just just escalated my case with John Lewis to make it a “priority case”. Essentially, main point made was missold on smart things extend. The issue is with the back office team who are refusing to call me, just email me. They will come back with a final decision by Wednesday.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@CaptnSpauldingwrote:

I’m also sure there was a version of Roku on the list too (which, AFAIK there was only one list which was the HLG supported device list) because I was thinking of buying one knowing the TV would never support it in time (or ever now)

Unfortunately there is no way of testing this until next time bbc iplayer shows HLG content. Probably during World Cup or Wimbledon. 

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Jay108wrote:

@paul1277wrote:

@Jay108wrote:

@crashcriswrote:

At present the Roku stick+ does play 4k iplayer on the js TV however it is NOT able to display the video in HLG as the Roku didn't have the appropriate upgrade (perhaps it never will), I don't know if in the future the Roku 4k iplayer gets HLG how it might affect the JS, perhaps it might stop it from playing 4k iplayer completely (who knows?)  I tried the test on my JS8000 with the Roku and I was not impressed at all, as I have posted previously, the supposed 4k iplayer picture of Blue Planet II didn't look any sharper when compared to the HD 1080p image as was broadcast over the air (this might be because of the excellent upscaling of the HD image that the JS does itself). I love the JS8000 and shall keep it for as long as possible, and when it needs replacing I'll be replacing it with anything but a Samsung due to their obvious contempt for their customers.

I am sure a version of Roku was on the list of supported devices on BBC iplayer HLG.  

The ROKU Stick Plus IS on the list of supported devices, however, there are conflicting reports of the devices working - even on the Roku official forums, some people CAN get it to work, others can't - I suspect considering the Roku is WiFi only it depends on the speed and quality of the signal wether it gets high enough to trigger HLG.

The Blue Planet Demo is still on iPlayer, so there is content that is perfectly able to be tested.

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Jay108 @paul1277.  I am also sure that the Roku stick+ WAS on the list of devices able to play the Blue Planet II in 4k iplayer. I am also sure that the Roku was NOT able to play it in HLG. Exactly as I said in my original post. On the list of TVs and devices on the BBC website there was a footnote that said as much.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@Jay108wrote:

@paul1277wrote:

@Jay108wrote:

@crashcriswrote:

The ROKU Stick Plus IS on the list of supported devices, however, there are conflicting reports of the devices working - even on the Roku official forums, some people CAN get it to work, others can't - I suspect considering the Roku is WiFi only it depends on the speed and quality of the signal wether it gets high enough to trigger HLG.

The Blue Planet Demo is still on iPlayer, so there is content that is perfectly able to be tested.

Hi I have tried to find the hlg demos on iplayer with no luck using a q9f which is supposed to be enabled.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@CaptnSpauldingwrote:

I’m also sure there was a version of Roku on the list too (which, AFAIK there was only one list which was the HLG supported device list) because I was thinking of buying one knowing the TV would never support it in time (or ever now)

I kept the list so I can check. The last version I kept was 9th Dec. I have posted it before.

It contains

Roku2017

3810EU

HTH

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277wrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:

Hi I have tried to find the hlg demos on iplayer with no luck using a q9f which is supposed to be enabled.

If the TV is supported by the BBC, it is in the Settings -> Beta menu.

Planet Earth 2 Trial menu.jpg

If you don't see that, start complaining to Samsung NOW, don't bother waiting for the BBC's next series made in HDR to be added to iPlayer because you will NOT see it appear. This is the test for every TV. There is no need to wait.

Planet Earth 2 Trial start screen.jpg

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

That's great, so long as you also saved the bit that tells you the Roku doesn't decode the HLG.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcriswrote:

That's great, so long as you also saved the bit that tells you the Roku doesn't decode the HLG.

Some people are never happy! :smiling-face: :smiling-face: 

I didn't, I just cut and pasted their list. I remember it saying that Sky's crappy little box didn't support HDR, only the 4k resolution (which is one of many reasons Sky Q is terrible). I don't remember it saying that about the Roku but I'm very happy to take anyone's word for it :smiling-face: