Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 20-02-2018 07:02 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
JTE
Navigator
Options

I’m not satisfied with 2016. My 2015 JS9000 was supposed to be evolution proof . No BBC iPlayer, no HDR10+ and no updated evolution kit will be made available.

0 Likes
ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@paul1111wrote:

@ukpeteywrote:

I stated on this forum that I would give Samsung until the end of February 2018 to resolve this, and then I would discuss returning the TV for a refund to JL.

This still stands, and there are 8 more days until I begin the process. Samsung are absolute p*ss takers and I genuinely will never buy or recommend a product of theirs again. If they are hiding, in the hope that this will blow over, they are mistaken, and I find their arrogance and contempt for their customers extremely offensive. 

It's not Samsung who will resolve this as they are not the retailer. You need to take your issues to JL and start the process with them. Samsung are not legally responsible to rectify these issues. I don't agree with it but that is consumer law.

I think you have misconstrued @ukpetey's post. The way I read it is this. The resolution that he wants, and which most of us here want, certainly me, is the firmware upgrade to support DVB-DASH or HLG over streaming or whatever it is in the TV that is preventing 4K HLG iPlayer from working. That is what he's set an end of February deadline for.

Since everyone here knows that is perfectly technically possible, and new hardware is not required.

@Exactly that. I’m giving Samsung the chance to update the firmware to allow 4K HLG iPlayer to work. Then if they don’t, I’ll go to JL for a refund. Thanks for clarifying @mrtickle

CJH26
Navigator
Options

I get both sides of this in regards to the opinions on the mis-selling route but at the end of the day I believe Samsung only have themselves to blame for this mess. They have made endless promises that they have failed to deliver on, some are more important than others, its each persons opinion, For example the biggest one for me is that they never delivered on the game mode HDR fix, Now to someone else who is not a gamer it could be hard to imagine the frustration of having to remember which games are HDR enabled and going into the menus each time to adjust the settings accordingly.

@ronson808 You are right, I guess there is not much we can do until JL & Samsung conclude these chats, However I cant imagine what the outcome could be, I get the feeling they will be trying to do whatever they can to shut it down.

@UHDHDR The info is interesting and its alright to hold onto hope but I would suggest not letting another promise stop anyone from pursuing whatever options are available to them.

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

My position on the continued JL haitus is that they should  separate out the customer-JL complaint from their own beef with Samsung. Even if JL and others need to manage via "goodwill" for complaining customers that should their priority. This is what I have told them myself 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@ewanstancarrwrote:

My position on the continued JL haitus is that they should  separate out the customer-JL complaint from their own beef with Samsung. Even if JL and others need to manage via "goodwill" for complaining customers that should their priority. This is what I have told them myself 

JL have used most excuses and in contact with Samsung is another one.  Samsung have been clear in that they are not supplying the dongle full stop. I think this needs to be pointed out to JL,  that you were promised the dongle some time in 2016 it is now2018. Point out you were being reasonable waiting that long and time is up. Samsung have said they will not supply the dongle,  therefore you were miss sold and are entitled to refund under the consumer regs.  All those who paid with a credit card it's time to go down section 75, and contact your card issuer .  They are taking the **** and this needs pointing out to them. 

Paul

Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

I think sadly the customer is probably the lowest priority here, samsung are a huge global manufacturer and it wouldnt suprise me if the retailers were far more concerned with upsetting them over us lot.

I have no clue what could be going on behind the scenes though, maybe samsung are going to do the right thing and offer us something reasonable for their mix up. but Im not sensing the retailers are budging until that side of things is sorted out, so no harm in us waiting to see the resolution as it does at least appear like we are getting the same messages across the board. so something is probably being worked on.

then once they come back to us we can take it on from there if we arent happy, but we dont need the cost, hassle or uncertain outcome from us going down the small claims court. although I think its a decent case, from experience, that doesnt always translate to getting the right outcome. although of course that applies to samsung/retailers as well, probably more so as things do look quite clear cut. but its upto the person who looks at in on the day, and thats always fun.

0 Likes
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

@paul1277wrote:

@ewanstancarrwrote:

JL have used most excuses and in contact with Samsung is another one.  Samsung have been clear in that they are not supplying the dongle full stop. I think this needs to be pointed out to JL,  that you were promised the dongle some time in 2016 it is now2018. Point out you were being reasonable waiting that long and time is up. Samsung have said they will not supply the dongle,  therefore you were miss sold and are entitled to refund under the consumer regs.  All those who paid with a credit card it's time to go down section 75, and contact your card issuer .  They are taking the **** and this needs pointing out to them. 

Paul

Yep.Howeer  whilst I am taking a firm line I have been promised an update soon and would prefer to keep things on good terms. If the resolution promised is not acceptable (and if its from Samsung this seems likely!)  then continuation to legal action as per my letter is next route 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Ronson808wrote:

I think sadly the customer is probably the lowest priority here, samsung are a huge global manufacturer and it wouldnt suprise me if the retailers were far more concerned with upsetting them over us lot.

I have no clue what could be going on behind the scenes though, maybe samsung are going to do the right thing and offer us something reasonable for their mix up. but Im not sensing the retailers are budging until that side of things is sorted out, so no harm in us waiting to see the resolution as it does at least appear like we are getting the same messages across the board. so something is probably being worked on.

then once they come back to us we can take it on from there if we arent happy, but we dont need the cost, hassle or uncertain outcome from us going down the small claims court. although I think its a decent case, from experience, that doesnt always translate to getting the right outcome. although of course that applies to samsung/retailers as well, probably more so as things do look quite clear cut. but its upto the person who looks at in on the day, and thats always fun.

I think you may find this "consultation " could be indefinite and an easy way to hope people give up.  Samsung have already told us there position on the smart connect and there is no response to the other issues. The retailers are using any excuss to try to get out of this.  Section 75 is the way forward. 

0 Likes
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

Sorry for off topic but if anyone here has a Samsung s2 smartwatch then let me know.    I am at the early stages of legal action with Samsung over their heavily suggested availability of Samsung Pay which has never materialised. Now that is a strong case!! 

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@CJH26wrote:

@UHDHDR The info is interesting and its alright to hold onto hope but I would suggest not letting another promise stop anyone from pursuing whatever options are available to them.

The only reason I even got a response from them is because I pursued this with the Better Business Bureau. It took 2 weeks before their rep got a response from the engineering department, and I was finally given an answer. Otherwise, I would have been stuck with the usual customer support nonsense that we've all heard for months.

If we do not hear anything by May, I have more ammo with which to pursue this even further.