Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 16-02-2018 03:15 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
amokuk
Voyager
Options
I assume you have gone through something rtings picture setup paul? Sounds disappointing...
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@amokukwrote:
I assume you have gone through something rtings picture setup paul? Sounds disappointing...

Yes but for HDR there are no changes. When the ks switched to HDR you could really see the screen brighten and my electric meter went up but with this TV there is hardly any change.  I have checked the settings and it is in HDR mode but the picture doesn't punch at you like the ks did,  and its sort of smudgy when watching on Netflix.  Its just not got that whaw factor. 

Paul

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277wrote:

@hdmiwrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:
Sony's ENTIRE line of mid-range 1080p sets from 2017 are HDR enabled.

yes that makes perfect sense as benefits for higher resolution diminish by the distance picture to remains unchnaged, in fact 1080p + HDR has more impact than a 4K screen beyond optimal viewing distance (1.2 meters for 55 inch 4K screen)

I have  now had the replacement q9f for my 64ks9500 for 24 hours,  and not impressed.  The picture does not seem as sharp in SDR,  but it is really poor in HDR.  I think its brighter in SDR. Watching Netflix star trek in 4k HDR and its lime watching SD,  and terrible blooming and banding.  Also the corners are darker,  and the picture noise is like something from a very old Philips TV I had. Motion is another poor issue as well.  I have sent a picture to support and am waiting for a call back.  Just hope its a bad model and replace it.  

Paul

I think you can reject this within first 30 days amd go for LG OLED or a Sony if you want

I was nevre impressed with the gimmick they pulled to show improved viewing angles 

0 Likes
CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

@paul1277wrote:

@amokukwrote:

Yes but for HDR there are no changes. When the ks switched to HDR you could really see the screen brighten and my electric meter went up but with this TV there is hardly any change.  I have checked the settings and it is in HDR mode but the picture doesn't punch at you like the ks did,  and its sort of smudgy when watching on Netflix.  Its just not got that whaw factor. 

Paul

Have you checked the Eco settings and made sure they are turned off? 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CaptnSpauldingwrote:

@paul1277wrote:

@amokukwrote:

Paul

Have you checked the Eco settings and made sure they are turned off? 

Yes eco off. Even my wife says its not nearly as good.  She says the picture looks flat due to poor contrast.  Its not bad at SDR and is bright but HDR is really poor and worst than SDR,  with loads of noise even pixelization,  blooming and really bad in low light sence's like star trek Netflix.  I have even seen banding which i never saw on the ks.  I have HDR samples like the chess one and it is not nearly as punchy.  Now looks like another battle with Samsung support. As Samsung supplied the TV they are now classed as the retailers and supplyer and they did confirm 12 months warrenty , so waiting for a call back! !!

Paul

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

I've heard other people report of banding on this TV too and they discuss it over on AVSForums.

Looks like maybe you have a 'dud' set as surely other owner would have reported this too. 

Let's hope I don't get offered a replacement for my KS and get money/vouchers instead. The new Sony TVs look great!

Jay108
Voyager
Options

This is another link where it was published that  Samsung 2016 KS models would get HDR10+ firmware upgrade;

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/09/01/samsung-bringing-hdr10-2016-range-smart-tvs/ 

stevej190
Pioneer
Options
I have been following this thread since the beginning and have commented on a couple of occasions. I bought my KS7000 from Currys in Dec 16 and so far haven't had any real progress as they are denying miss-selling.

I'm slightly puzzled as to why this thread seems to have almost died in the last 10 days or so, hardly any posts whereas there was often several pages in a single day which was keeping the pressure on Samsung to do the right thing. Have most people had some form of resolution I wonder?
0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

Its been 4 months and Samsung cant even be bothered to give us an explanation on why hlg iplayer isnt being enabled on ks series or 4k on js series. What more can we say on here? Unless you are prepared to go to court, i am, nothing more to be said. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@amokukwrote:

Its been 4 months and Samsung cant even be bothered to give us an explanation on why hlg iplayer isnt being enabled on ks series or 4k on js series. What more can we say on here? Unless you are prepared to go to court, i am, nothing more to be said. 

I think they are going to try to tough it out,  which means court or section 75 credit card.