Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 04-02-2018 11:33 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Jay108
Voyager
Options

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

This is a bit of a game-stopper for me.  A Roku stick is relatively cheap and if BBC iPlayer works via this and delivers HDR-HLG then I will get one and I'm out.  But how do I test, given the BBC have stopped showing BP2 now?  TV early December 2016,  KS9500.  I'm prepared to get one straight away and test if I know how to.

Probably can't test it now until next trial.  But even if this works. It's only a work around.  Also it means extra cost and it's a messy implementation.  We have to keep pushing Samsung to enable HLG through BBC i player. Samsung promised along with HDR10+  

I am pretty sure HDR10+ will catch on very quickly. Amazon already converted All their HDR content to HDR10+ for USA. It will come to UK soon. From what I read HDR10+ looks amazing.  Nextflix are also seriously looking into streaming HDR10+. 

So all KS owners please don't give up on this fight. We can not let big companies like Samsung walk all over their customers. Promising things and then never deliver. 

I am sure we would probably find a work Arounds for these problems. But that's is not the point.

i urge people not to give up on this fight. We paid hard earned cash in (some cases over £5000) for these TV's and we have a right to demand Samsung to fulfill their promises. 

As a minimum Samsung has to admit and compensate their customers. 

In my opinion. We can only challenge the stores like JL and Currys for Smart thing dongle as they advertised it.?  For HLG and HDR10+ Samsung who has to compensate.  

I would suggest those who want to continue the refund route move to ks refund as this thread seems to have been hijacked! The roku I thought could do HDR but saw on AV Forums it could not do Iplayer HLG when someone tried it with blue planet 2. The only HLG I have got to work is using the YouTube app on my ks. It would not work via hdmi or USB. But that is not the only issue as hdr10+,  as mentioned looks like it will be used a lot more especially since it is royalty free.  The smart connect was promised and Samsungs offer of a free smart things connect is very poor in that it does not fix the promise. 

All the info is on ks refunds and it is a lot smaller. 

I think everyone asking for a refund should be on there anyway as it keeps things much tidier, this thread has got a life of it's own now.

This my opinion. But some of are interested in both. Either Samsung fulfil their promises or refund. 

@Perhaps @AntS can advise us.  The two threads are somehow interlinked.  

This what I am thinking.

1. If only thing a member want is refund then use the Refund thread.

2. If only thing a member wants is for  Samsung to provide upgrade for HLG on BBC I player  and HDR10+ then use this thread. 

What do  people think? 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

wrote:

Forgot to add this on Friday, had a DM from Mark Hodgkinson and all of the questions I posted have been escalated to Samsung's Head Office in Korea so unsure if we will get a repback,  smadnd flatpanelshd are also going to use their contacts too.

Not heard anything from What Hifi yet either.

I contacted what hi fi ages ago and got nothing back same with trusted reviews. 

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

wrote:

wrote:

Forgot to add this on Friday, had a DM from Mark Hodgkinson and all of the questions I posted have been escalated to Samsung's Head Office in Korea so unsure if we will get a repback,  smadnd flatpanelshd are also going to use their contacts too.

I contacted what hi fi ages ago and got nothing back same with trusted reviews. 

I guess they are more interested in Sony's half baked Dolby Vision saga than Samsung dropping the 2016 range!

0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options

The original 5 min clip from Planet Earth is still available.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

wrote:

The original 5 min clip from Planet Earth is still available.

What sucks is I brought a cheap 43UJ701v from LG for my bedroom and that plays HLG over iPlayer, Youtube etc and it only cost me £369 yet my tv costing me £1399 doesn't, definitely know who will be getting my money next time and it won't be Samsung.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

wrote:

This is a bit of a game-stopper for me.  A Roku stick is relatively cheap and if BBC iPlayer works via this and delivers HDR-HLG then I will get one and I'm out.  But how do I test, given the BBC have stopped showing BP2 now?  TV early December 2016,  KS9500.  I'm prepared to get one straight away and test if I know how to.

Ok cool, I have said this several times already - including in my posts yesterday - but you might have missed it. :winking-face:

It is very easy to test, and you don't have to wait for the next programmes to be added to iPlayer which the BBC broadcasted and then had special HLG versions available.

The BBC's original trial in iPlayer should still be there if your TV is compatible. You can use that for testing. It doesn't matter that Blue Planet 2 isn't in iPlayer any more because the original trials test clip is still there.

NB: 2016 trial = "Planet Earth 2"

2017 series = "Blue Planet 2". 

easy to mix them up!

Here are screenshots from a friend's LG OLED, so that you know where to look. It's not in the normal search or schedules. The trial started in 2016, and as far as I know it's just permanently there.

Planet Earth 2 Trial menu.jpg

Planet Earth 2 Trial start screen.jpg

Planet Earth 2 playback bar.jpg

Planet Earth 2 playback DOG.jpg

Note: I was just answering the question in this post.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

wrote:

Forgot to add this on Friday, had a DM from Mark Hodgkinson and all of the questions I posted have been escalated to Samsung's Head Office in Korea so unsure if we will get a reply and flatpanelshd are also going to use their contacts too.

Excellent work, thankyou!

rozel
Voyager
Options

mrticklepathfinder - you didn't quote my edit.  No HD Sound Pass through = I'm not interested.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

Not sure if anyone has seen this document.  May be of interest to some;

http://dpp-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/specs/itv/ProgrammeDeliverySpecificationLiveIT...

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

wrote:

mrticklepathfinder - you didn't quote my edit.  No HD Sound Pass through = I'm not interested.

Indeeed I didn't, and I saw you had withdrawn your interest. My post was to help the readers of the thread as a whole (that's why it was a public post and not a private message just for you). Despite me mentioning it several times, people keep forgetting that the original PE2 trial material is still up there. That's why I decided to post the pictures.