Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-02-2018 08:31 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Logicearl
Journeyman
Options

I agree totally with the above. Can we please keep on topic.

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

Has Samsung miss lead on BBC iplayer HLG,  hdr10+ and smart connect? If you say yes then that is misrepresentation , if you say no then you work for Samsung ¡!! !!!!!! ! 

Samsung hasn't really miss-led me on BBC iPlayer HLG as they never specifically stated that the 3rd party apps would automatically be updated to ake advantage of the TV's HLG support. Its similar to buying a 4k HDR device (like a console) and finding that Amazon or Netflix haven't updated their apps to take advantage of the devices 4k HDR capability. That is not an unrealistic situation as I believe Amazon HDR wasn't supported on Sony's PS4 Pro (at least on launch - not sure now as I don't subscribe). I admit that Samsung alluded to HLG full support as they certainly never indicated that it was conditional BUT I can't say I was miss-led as the Apps themselves are not owned by or run by Samsung. That doesn't stop me being disappointed and wanting explanation from Samsung. However I also want to know what my alternatives are, what I may need to do to get BBC iPlayer HLG in the near future etc. If Samsung do update it - fantastic - result!! Its what this thread was supposed to be about but if not, then I want to know to what extent HLG is supported and what my alternative options may be for accessing HLG iPlayer content on my KS. If that means I have to use an external device connected via HDMI (or USB) to watch HLG content on iPlayer - so be it!

I wasn't 'miss-led' by HDR10+ when I bought my TV. I had owned it for months before Samsung even mentioned HDR10+ and that it would come to the KS TV's. I am disappointed that the timescale they alluded to, i.e end of 2017, has not seen the HDR10+ support arrive but then, like the recent announcement that Red Dead Redemption 2 won't now arrive in Spring 2018 and has been 'delayed', that is 'disappointing' but not exactly miss-sold or miss-led as time-scales can be too optimistic when announced and I bought my TV long before HDR10+ was a 'thing' so can't argue I was miss-sold. I am disappointed it missed the time scale that Samsung alluded too, disappointed we haven't heard the status of HDR10+ support on the KS, whether it's still coming or not and to what extent that support will be implemented - whether its full or conditional.

Until people here mentioned SmartThings, I wasn't even aware it was a thing. I certain never bought my TV with SmartThings in mind and have absolutely NO interest in the concept - not even the 2018 TV's that are now going down this route. If I were to buy a TV in the 'near' future, the addition, the feature, the functionality etc of the 'interconnected' devices will NOT influence my decision and will NEVER be used at all. My decision will be based purely on PQ, HDR performance and compatability with my consoles/STB. I will buy the 'best' TV that works as a TV for these devices whether it offers SmartThings (or equivalent) or not. I bought my HU7500 and H6400 but couldn't care less if they had 3D or the quality of the 3D experience because I had NO intention of using it. As SmartThings never once entered into my decision to buy, and like I said didn't even know about it until people used it as a loophole excuse, then I can't say I was miss-led or miss-sold. I am not disappointed that a feature I never even considered or want has been cancelled. Its the equivalent of saying the train service from Lyon to St Etienne has been cancelled - something I have no idea existing, had no intention to use and no impact on me whatsoever.

Because in each of these, I can't outright say I have been miss-sold is not indicative of my employment OR allegiance to 'Samsung' or level of disappointment with certain decisions and/or implementation of features. It also has no relevance as to why HDR10+ and SmartThings should be discussed in a thread about iPlayer's Blue Planet and HLG - the title of this thread. Each of these 3 issues are worthy of their own thread and the ONLY issue that can actually be worthy of a miss-selling case is the 'SmartThings' issue. That though again doesn't belong in a thread about HLG, Blue Planet and iPlayer. If I have an issue with SmartThings or HDR10+, I will take those to a relevant thread about both - they are not relevant to a thread on HLG or iPlayer. Neither impact on whether or not you get to watch Blue Planet in HLG on your TV.

The fact that iPlayer may or may not work via external devices is still relevant to this thread. HLG and whether its supported via local, USB or HDMI is relevant to this thread as it may provide an option to access content like Blue Planet in the near future - regardless of what Samsung do with the local iPlayer app. HLG is relevant to this thread as it also determines the longevity and likelihood that HLG may or may not work with other devices/apps as HLG becomes more widespread.

As I said, I do NOT work for Samsung, have no friends/family or associates that work for Samsung and definitely no loyalty or bias towards Samsung at all. Anyone who has seen my posts in AVForums will attest that I am not bias and have recommended that people who do want to pursue the SmartThings miss-selling to get a refund or replacement to do what they can to get an LG B/C7 - I am sure I have mentioned that the LG is by far the best TV currently and the best supported for HDR too. The fact is though, this thread is about HLG support and in particular iPlayer. That to me is not 'exclusive' to just the local App which I really hope Samsung do sort out, but what options we have IF Samsung continue to ignore us. Not everyone can or will use the SmartThings loophole so its IMPORTANT to know exactly what options we have and that does entail establishing to what extent the TV's have HLG support. If HLG doesn't work via HDMI or USB, then we have NO options with iPlayer unless Samsung change their mind but if HLG can be played, that at least may give us a glimmer of hope for the future.

I appreciate that others from outside the UK can test things like HLG via HDMI satellites as that helps establish whether the KS would/should support HLG in the UK when we get more HLG content. I don't appreciate people saying its not relevant and then going on and on about SmartThings for pages on end when it makes NO difference to the topic. If Samsung had released the SmartThings Dongle, then that loophole would be closed and you still wouldn't have HLG iPlayer or access to HLG Blue Planet so would be interested in finding out the extent of HLG support and whether or not alternative options would be available.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

This thread is getting very confused.

all most of us want is for Samsung to fulfil their promises.

My TV is 78ks9500. Very expensive TV.. Bought six months ago. I did a lot of reasearch. I even spoke to a number of Samsung Reps on floor both at Currys and JL. They all said 9500 is Fald tv and it will get the HLG and HDR10+ support by end of 2017.  This influenced me to go for this model. 

rather than LG. I was also advised that TV will be future proof for couple of years minimum.  

No one said that there are number of HLG flavours and this TV will not work with  BBC iplayer HLG.  

Samsung mislead me and has to compensate people like me . 

Last few posts makes me feel that Samsung are trying to take the heat out of this thread. 

I dont know if any of the members posting  on here are Samsung employees or are getting paid to take this

thread of on a tangent. 

I urge all with KS TV please keep pushing to get Samsung to provide answers. 

I will never buy Samsung products ever again. Samsung don't care about their existing customers. I found Their customer support to be useless. Only providing generic answers. 

0 Likes
snosig
Explorer
Options

I suggest this thread is left only for discussion regarding BBC iPlayer and HLG related things, as the title suggests.

There already exists a thread here on the forum for members discussing SmartThings, HDR10+ and options for dissatisfied owners of KS TVs. See link below.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-Owners-refund/m-p/402237#M8752

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

I also support keeping this thread on topic. It was set up to query the lack of support by Samsung for its 2016 and earlier sets in the BBC iplayer HLG trial. QED

The reason why SmartThings has come into  this is clear too. The thread quickly converged on a few promises that Samsung made through its advertising in different areas. Namely hdr10+, SmartThings dongle as well as HLG

Each of these potentially gives you an avenue to pursue for refund depending on when you bought your TV.

Any divergence of topic into technical nuances of this and that is off topic. I should know - I started the thread.

Now Ants, can Samsung do more than just monitor this list and start doing something meaningful for customers. Its actually more shameful that they know we exist yet sit there doing nothing. Call that leadership... hang your heads in shame  

Jay108
Voyager
Options

wrote:

I also support keeping this thread on topic. It was set up to query the lack of support by Samsung for its 2016 and earlier sets in the BBC iplayer HLG trial. QED

The reason why SmartThings has come into  this is clear too. The thread quickly converged on a few promises that Samsung made through its advertising in different areas. Namely hdr10+, SmartThings dongle as well as HLG

Each of these potentially gives you an avenue to pursue for refund depending on when you bought your TV.

Any divergence of topic into technical nuances of this and that is off topic. I should know - I started the thread.

Now Ants, can Samsung do more than just monitor this list and start doing something meaningful for customers. Its actually more shameful that they know we exist yet sit there doing nothing. Call that leadership... hang your heads in shame  

@AntS are you able provide any insight Into what Samsung are planning to do with this list that you are putting together? Do you get any feel from your conversations with Samsung senior managers that they are going to do anything about all these issues with 2016 model TV's. 

This thread is nearing 200 pages and still no clear statement from Samsung. 

We all appreciate that you are escalating this as far as you can.  but as you can see last couple of days more and more members are getting frustrated and venting their angers. 

JTE
Navigator
Options

Could not agree more. I have contributed to this thread and have to make a descision about going to Small Claim Court over lack of support for UHD iPlayer and no upgrade whatsoever for updated evolution kit. Essentially miselling. I joined this thread for support and resource leading up to my claim. Really have considered leaving recently because Content has varied widely from the thread title.

0 Likes
richardg
Explorer
Options

"Samsung hasn't really miss-led me on BBC iPlayer HLG as they never specifically stated that the 3rd party apps would automatically be updated to ake advantage of the TV's HLG support." - If the BBC's 3rd party app hasn't been updated how does iPlayer 4k work on 2017 Samsung TVs? 

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

wrote:
"Samsung hasn't really miss-led me on BBC iPlayer HLG as they never specifically stated that the 3rd party apps would automatically be updated to ake advantage of the TV's HLG support."

If the BBC's 3rd party app hasn't been updated 

first, the post you quote obviously doesn't say it hasn't been updated :). The post you quoted talked about what Samsung did or didn't promise in respect of the iPlayer app which is created by the BBC. It was addressing the false dichotomy in the question by taking each point in turn, and talks about why the poster does or doesn't feel misled (no hyphen, one "s" :D).

wrote:

"Samsung hasn't really miss-led me on BBC iPlayer HLG as they never specifically stated that the 3rd party apps would automatically be updated to ake advantage of the TV's HLG support." - If the BBC's 3rd party app hasn't been updated how does iPlayer 4k work on 2017 Samsung TVs? 

As we can all see by going into the "Apps" section of the so-called "Smart" Hub, version 1.1.13 of "iPlayer for Samsung" (my name for it, we need to call it something which clarifies that it's the same common app on all of the Samsung platform models) is dated 21st Dec. So there was an update to the app, the common app which we all run, and we all got it.

People who have 2017 models, with their December firmware [which gave them DVB-DASH streaming, or whatever secret sauce we're not being openly told about by either the BBC or Samsung - Samsung keep using the term "IHD HDR HLG"  each time they repeat the lie that they excluded it from their promise] - those people, get 4k HLG.

People without those models and firmware, but still running the same version of iPlayer ("iPlayer for Samsung"!), ie us customers, get what we had before. The difference now that we all hvae the HLG-capable version "iPlayer for Samsung" is that the day we all get the firmware upgrade which gives us all "IHD HDR HLG" support, being positive and talking on the basis that it will happen, that day nothing else will be needed. It'll just work*. This is the same situation as the day we had the firmware support for V9.2  (which youtube HDR uses). For me that was Thu 8th Dec 2016, firmware 1154.0. That day, I instantly had working HDR on YouTube and also inside the TV's webbrowser on the youtube website.

Clearly then there is something in "iPlayer for Samsung" which takes advantage of "IHD HDR HLG", iff it finds that it's running on a model which supports it.

So the BBC have done their part.

Now, over to Samsung.

*but there'll probably be no HLG content other than the short demo clip of Planet Earth 2 from the original 2016 trial which is still kept in the Help menu. :smiling-face:

0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/television-home-theater-accessories/televisions/...

UHD Viewing
The UHD One Connect Box gets you advanced connectivity and enables you to watch UHD 4k content through streaming services such as Netflix. The One Connect Box is compatible with a range of UHD standards including HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and the VP9 and HEVC codecs so you are up to date without having to buy another TV.** Each future upgrade requires purchase of a new One Connect Box.