Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 02-02-2018 11:02 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options
TV

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

...

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,839 REPLIES 4,839
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
TV

wrote:

wrote:

 HLG over HDMI definitely works.


100% false. I have a Samsung M9500 blu ray player connected to my 2016 Samsung TV, and I can play HLG from the players YouTube app over HDMI, and my TV displays the video in HDR.

Could this be the M9500 decoding/re-encoding the HLG stream into HDR10 instead of sending HLG over HDMI?

 


Extremely unlikely! The BBC created Planet Earth 2 in HLG, but the 4k Blu-Ray is of course HDR10. To convert that and re-grade it for HDR10 isn't a real-time process, and requires broadcast-quality equipment.

 

It would be helpful if Samsung improved the UI of the TV to make it clearer which flavour of HDR the TV is receiving (HDR10, HLG, HDR10Plus) but so far they haven't done this.

 

EDIT: Easy to check. Connect the M9500 to a better TV which does display the info correctly.

 


I seem to be getting s bit if a bashing here.  All I can say is I tried the sample and it did not work on my ks9500 TV. 

Saying that I am mote concerned about the BBC IPLAYER HLG,  hdr10+, smart connect. Also about misrepresentation for the for mentioned. 

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options
TV

wrote:


 

I seem to be getting s bit if a bashing here.  All I can say is I tried the sample and it did not work on my ks9500 TV. 

Saying that I am mote concerned about the BBC IPLAYER HLG,  hdr10+, smart connect. Also about misrepresentation for the for mentioned. 


If you were local I'd be happy to pop over and see why it's not working (on just your TV but is fine on others), but yes, let's move on.

 

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options
TV

From what I can tell, the thread has been completely derailed by the SmartThings dongle and using that as an excuse to go down the miss-selling route. It has NOTHING to do with Blue Planet HLG or the iPlayer that this thread was created for. Because Samsung haven't given some people the answer they were hoping for with regards to the 'actual' issue this thread was created for, they have gone out of their way to find some 'loophole' to get back at Samsung - something that is totally unrelated to HLG OR iPlayer. Its far more off-topic, including all the laws on miss-selling and what people need to focus on to get anywhere with seeking a replacement/refund.

 

At least if we can establish to what extent HLG works, whether that is via USB, HDMI or Local apps, we stand a better chance of finding out whether or not our TV's will play Blue Planet (or other BBC) HLG in the future. If that means we may end up having to buy a new device to get that, its still far more relevent to this thread than SmartThings dongles.

 

I have NO issue with people if they want to use SmartThings as a loophole to get a replacement or refund because the 'iPlayer HLG' was the final nail in the coffin for them and the support (or lack of) they feel they have reached BUT that has absolutely NOTHING to do with Blue Planet HLG - the topic of this thread.

 

I actually appreciate that others are looking at what HLG they have access to and seeing if that works on their TV. Whilst it may not be Blue Planet specifically or 'iPlayer' specific, its still far more relevant and may actually be very useful to know or at least work out if alternatives to the local iPlayer could be an option IF Samsung don't update the local app at all. I want to know that I can watch Blue Planet or whatever HLG content the BBC add next to iPlayer could be accessible via an external option - either USB or HDMI - that's far more relevant to this thread!!!

 

OK so some people don't like hearing that Samsung have added HLG support (to an extent) and that HLG is working as it should and as expected cnsidering the TV supports HLG - therefore there is some potential 'option' for the future and would rather spend their time shouting people down for any 'mention' of HLG support via ANY other source/input. It doesn't fit in with their 'Samsung is the 'devil' claims. If you don't agree then you must work for Samsung and are just 'misleading' the thread - yet it was them that are trying to misslead others by trying to say HLG isn't supported at all, won't work via any source/input and therefore Samsung have lied outright to us. At most they are guilty of implying a more thorough HLG support but you cannot argue that HLG is supported. The same person that was shouting that only VP9 HLG worked yet HEVC HLG has been proven to work via USB at least, is the same person that is criticising Samsung for miss leading its consumers - Pot meet Kettle.

 

I joined this thread because I am unhappy with the fact that Samsung has refused to update the iPlayer app to support HLG without given us a valid reason. I was looking forward to watching Blue Planet in HLG. I am STILL unhappy with the situation BUT as I am unable to update the iPlayer app myself, I am also interested to know to what extent HLG support the TV has received (totally relevant to this thread) and what, if any, alternative options I have to watch iPlayer in HLG in the long term (again TOTALLY RELEVANT). I want to know that if Samsung continue to refuse updating the local iPlayer app, with or without a reason, whether or not I can watch Blue Planet (or other BBC iPlayer HLG) on an external device and if so, will it matter if the external device is USB or HDMI. That is exactly the point of this thread.

 

Those that wish to pursue miss-selling cannot do so because of a single App or because Samsung lied about HLG support - which, in fairness, has been added - at least to some degree. Those that wish to discuss SmartThings or how to use SmartThings as an excuse or 'loophole' to get at Samsung for miss-selling, those who want to discuss the process, the legal status, the law etc surrounding miss-selling and customer protection, those even wanting to discuss HDR10+ and the lack of support that was promised are actually all OFF-TOPIC to this thread. ALL of these comments etc should have their own thread - and if someone is unhappy with the iPlayer issue and wish to use SmartThings as a loophole should be forwarded to the relevant thread. Not one of these has anything to do with Blue Planet HLG - the topic of the thread. At most, these should be nothing more than a mention as examples of why people feel that Samsung are not supporting these TV's as fully as they stated they would but to go on and on and on and on about these and then to criticise someone who is addressing the HLG issue as 'missleading' or irrelevant to the thread are absolutely way off!! (trying to keep it polite).

 

To reiterate for those who still miss the point - whether its specific to the local apps (iPlayer in particular) or via alternative devices/inputs, HLG is still important to discuss as it may give us an indication that we can still get access to iPlayer HLG via an alternative to the local apps and establish the extent of the HLG support - after all that is VITALLY IMPORTANT for the long term as I am sure (or at least hopeful) that more than just the BBC will be offering HLG in the near future. I want to know that if the local apps won't be updated, that I have alternative options available to access the HLG content - even if that means via USB or HDMI!

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
TV

wrote:

From what I can tell, the thread has been completely derailed by the SmartThings dongle and using that as an excuse to go down the miss-selling route. It has NOTHING to do with Blue Planet HLG or the iPlayer that this thread was created for. Because Samsung haven't given some people the answer they were hoping for with regards to the 'actual' issue this thread was created for, they have gone out of their way to find some 'loophole' to get back at Samsung - something that is totally unrelated to HLG OR iPlayer. Its far more off-topic, including all the laws on miss-selling and what people need to focus on to get anywhere with seeking a replacement/refund.

 

At least if we can establish to what extent HLG works, whether that is via USB, HDMI or Local apps, we stand a better chance of finding out whether or not our TV's will play Blue Planet (or other BBC) HLG in the future. If that means we may end up having to buy a new device to get that, its still far more relevent to this thread than SmartThings dongles.

 

I have NO issue with people if they want to use SmartThings as a loophole to get a replacement or refund because the 'iPlayer HLG' was the final nail in the coffin for them and the support (or lack of) they feel they have reached BUT that has absolutely NOTHING to do with Blue Planet HLG - the topic of this thread.

 

I actually appreciate that others are looking at what HLG they have access to and seeing if that works on their TV. Whilst it may not be Blue Planet specifically or 'iPlayer' specific, its still far more relevant and may actually be very useful to know or at least work out if alternatives to the local iPlayer could be an option IF Samsung don't update the local app at all. I want to know that I can watch Blue Planet or whatever HLG content the BBC add next to iPlayer could be accessible via an external option - either USB or HDMI - that's far more relevant to this thread!!!

 

OK so some people don't like hearing that Samsung have added HLG support (to an extent) and that HLG is working as it should and as expected cnsidering the TV supports HLG - therefore there is some potential 'option' for the future and would rather spend their time shouting people down for any 'mention' of HLG support via ANY other source/input. It doesn't fit in with their 'Samsung is the 'devil' claims. If you don't agree then you must work for Samsung and are just 'misleading' the thread - yet it was them that are trying to misslead others by trying to say HLG isn't supported at all, won't work via any source/input and therefore Samsung have lied outright to us. At most they are guilty of implying a more thorough HLG support but you cannot argue that HLG is supported. The same person that was shouting that only VP9 HLG worked yet HEVC HLG has been proven to work via USB at least, is the same person that is criticising Samsung for miss leading its consumers - Pot meet Kettle.

 

I joined this thread because I am unhappy with the fact that Samsung has refused to update the iPlayer app to support HLG without given us a valid reason. I was looking forward to watching Blue Planet in HLG. I am STILL unhappy with the situation BUT as I am unable to update the iPlayer app myself, I am also interested to know to what extent HLG support the TV has received (totally relevant to this thread) and what, if any, alternative options I have to watch iPlayer in HLG in the long term (again TOTALLY RELEVANT). I want to know that if Samsung continue to refuse updating the local iPlayer app, with or without a reason, whether or not I can watch Blue Planet (or other BBC iPlayer HLG) on an external device and if so, will it matter if the external device is USB or HDMI. That is exactly the point of this thread.

 

Those that wish to pursue miss-selling cannot do so because of a single App or because Samsung lied about HLG support - which, in fairness, has been added - at least to some degree. Those that wish to discuss SmartThings or how to use SmartThings as an excuse or 'loophole' to get at Samsung for miss-selling, those who want to discuss the process, the legal status, the law etc surrounding miss-selling and customer protection, those even wanting to discuss HDR10+ and the lack of support that was promised are actually all OFF-TOPIC to this thread. ALL of these comments etc should have their own thread - and if someone is unhappy with the iPlayer issue and wish to use SmartThings as a loophole should be forwarded to the relevant thread. Not one of these has anything to do with Blue Planet HLG - the topic of the thread. At most, these should be nothing more than a mention as examples of why people feel that Samsung are not supporting these TV's as fully as they stated they would but to go on and on and on and on about these and then to criticise someone who is addressing the HLG issue as 'missleading' or irrelevant to the thread are absolutely way off!! (trying to keep it polite).

 

To reiterate for those who still miss the point - whether its specific to the local apps (iPlayer in particular) or via alternative devices/inputs, HLG is still important to discuss as it may give us an indication that we can still get access to iPlayer HLG via an alternative to the local apps and establish the extent of the HLG support - after all that is VITALLY IMPORTANT for the long term as I am sure (or at least hopeful) that more than just the BBC will be offering HLG in the near future. I want to know that if the local apps won't be updated, that I have alternative options available to access the HLG content - even if that means via USB or HDMI!


That was a long way to say you dissagree .

Has Samsung miss lead on BBC iplayer HLG,  hdr10+ and smart connect? If you say yes then that is misrepresentation , if you say no then you work for Samsung ¡!! !!!!!! ! 

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options
TV

wrote:

Has Samsung miss lead on BBC iplayer HLG,  hdr10+ and smart connect? If you say yes then that is misrepresentation , if you say no then you work for Samsung ¡!! !!!!!! ! 


Bzzt, false dichotomy.

 

 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
TV

wrote:

wrote:

Has Samsung miss lead on BBC iplayer HLG,  hdr10+ and smart connect? If you say yes then that is misrepresentation , if you say no then you work for Samsung ¡!! !!!!!! ! 


Bzzt, false dichotomy.

 

 


You still don't answer the question! !!! ! 

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options
TV

wrote:

wrote:

 HLG over HDMI definitely works.


100% false. I have a Samsung M9500 blu ray player connected to my 2016 Samsung TV, and I can play HLG from the players YouTube app over HDMI, and my TV displays the video in HDR.

Could this be the M9500 decoding/re-encoding the HLG stream into HDR10 instead of sending HLG over HDMI?

 


Extremely unlikely! The BBC created Planet Earth 2 in HLG, but the 4k Blu-Ray is of course HDR10. To convert that and re-grade it for HDR10 isn't a real-time process, and requires broadcast-quality equipment.

 

It would be helpful if Samsung improved the UI of the TV to make it clearer which flavour of HDR the TV is receiving (HDR10, HLG, HDR10Plus) but so far they haven't done this.

 

EDIT: Easy to check. Connect the M9500 to a better TV which does display the info correctly.

 

EDIT2: Definitely not. don't know why I didn't think of this 5 minutes ago. HLG doesn't use metadata. HDR10 needs metadata. The only way to generate the metadata is to examine every frame of video, and then at the end, you can determine the metadata values.

This is why live HDR10 isn't possible, and it's why HLG is going to be used for live broadcasting.

It's also why it can't be what the player is doing.

So, its playing HLG over HDMI.

 

HTH :smiling-face:

 


I agree. It doesn't seem likely that it's converting HLG to HDR10.

 

However, I will say this. There does seem to be some sort of issue with the way the TV is displaying HLG over HDMI. HLG videos over HDMI are far more saturated -- extremely oversaturated, in fact -- compared to the same videos being viewed through the TV's internal app. The skin tones especially are way off -- they're literally red.

 

And obviously, we know about the issue those with DirecTV in the US are having. So while HLG over HDMI works, it still needs some fixing to get it working right.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options
TV

wrote:

However, I will say this. There does seem to be some sort of issue with the way the TV is displaying HLG over HDMI. HLG videos over HDMI are far more saturated -- extremely oversaturated, in fact -- compared to the same videos being viewed through the TV's internal app. The skin tones especially are way off -- they're literally red.

 

And obviously, we know about the issue those with DirecTV in the US are having. So while HLG over HDMI works, it still needs some fixing to get it working right.


Absolutely agreed.

 

0 Likes
richardg
Explorer
Options
TV

"ALL of these comments etc should have their own thread". Who are you - the thread police? Yes, why don't we all discuss why [insert acronym here] does or doesn't work over [insert another acronym here] rather than the fact that a major audiovisual vendor seems to have decided to reduce their product lifecycle to 12 months and, in so doing, has upset 1000's of customers who bought their products in good faith? 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
TV

wrote:

"ALL of these comments etc should have their own thread". Who are you - the thread police? Yes, why don't we all discuss why [insert acronym here] does or doesn't work over [insert another acronym here] rather than the fact that a major audiovisual vendor seems to have decided to reduce their product lifecycle to 12 months and, in so doing, has upset 1000's of customers who bought their products in good faith? 


Could other original members also add their support to the above.  This thread is being taken down another avenue which seems to try to dilute Samsungs miss leading Advertising.  We are only interested in BBC iplayer HLG,  hdr10+ and the smart connect. Anything else please start your own thread. 

0 Likes