Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 02-02-2018 12:19 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
richardg
Explorer
Options

This is the kind of techie argument that drives consumers mad. The point is that if a company says that it's product supports feature X then it is reasonable for consumers to assume that all aspects of feature X are supported. Unless someone can point to the small print in the original advertising that specifically excluded certain features of X. This is exactly what the law on mis-selling is designed to prevent.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

wrote:
Correct. But many are saying other things. That does not work the HLG at all.

I don't think anyone questions no HLG at all but as there is incredibly little content available here in the UK no one really knows what formats HLG is supported on and from what you have stated Italy is ahead of the UK for this.

However the primary reason for this very long thread is to try and lets say coerce Samsung into doing the right thing and enabling support for HLG streaming on BBC  iPlayer

AntS
Options

@rozel: Everyone is welcome here. (Unless a mod says otherwise.)

It helps if we're all on the same page though:

Current situation for UK 2016 (K series) UHD TV's:

• HLG available over broadcast (i.e. Freeview or Freesat): Yes.
  • HLG available over USB: Unverified as of yet
  • HLG available via HDMI: Unverified as of yet
  • HLG over iPlayer: No
rozel
Voyager
Options

Yes AntS and you are a Mod - but to be fair he isn't on cue or inkeeping with this thread, please reomove him along with his messages - this has been requested already by others.  Sent you a PM too

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

wrote:

Paul  avoids inaccurate things. I have the same right to write that you have, when you support absolutely incorrect things that the HLG on TV 2016 does not work. BBC Iplayer does not work but HLG does work. You and others are giving incorrect information.

Thankyou for putting everyone here right and thank you for you input,  but I thing we do not need to keep hearing it. 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

wrote:

Yes AntS and you are a Mod - but to be fair he isn't on cue or inkeeping with this thread, please reomove him along with his messages - this has been requested already by others.  Sent you a PM too

I agree

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Just to make it clear to everyone:

This place is very much an open community, and one that attracts attention and contribution people from all over the world. Everyone is welcome. The only barrier to getting involved a far as we're concerned is language - and as a community we should all seek to help with that if needed (it's why I posted in both English and Italian here).

There are also always going to be people who stumble into an epic and sometimes fast moving thread like this who aren't aware of where it's currently at. We should aim to bring those people up to speed and try to understand where they're coming from, rather than hurling spurious accusations and aggression at them because they hold a differrent opinion or are saying something we don't quite understand. That isn't just some trippy-hippy do-gooding stuff: you never know where an ally or angel may be hidden.

I've had to remove Saverio571's posts in Italian (and the replies to them). His other posts remain as they're about the availability of HLG - which is closer to what the thread was originally about than some of the other posts in the thread.

edindundee
Pioneer
Options

I downloaded the 748Mb zipped file to my pc, unzipped, copied to usb and plugged into the connect box of my ue43ks7500 bought in December 2016.

The file plays, format is ts/aac, resolution is 3480 x 2160 and it states hdr.

Most of what I've just spouted above is gobbledygook to me, I just want BBC iPlayer to work in full resolution.

Is it really too much to ask? COME ON SAMSUNG!!!!!

Coincidentally the flash stick was Samsung, I won't be buying another!

0 Likes
Lensy
Apprentice
Options

As promised; see attached photos - the linked video (HEVC with HLG) does indeed work on a 1208 KS7000. I can confirm that the brightness did indeed shoot up to 20 too, although I didn't take a photo of that as I didn't see the benefit (.. if I'd wanted to lie I would have just manually increased the brightness anyhow!)

Media Info - HLG and HEVCMedia Info - HLG and HEVC

IMG_20180202_172420.jpgIMG_20180202_172456.jpgIMG_20180202_172600.jpg

@AntS - if you want to close down this conversation avenue entirely, please delete this post. However I hoped this was still generally useful even with the other posts removed.

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

wrote:

wrote:

Is the iPlayer issue with the built in BBC app, or with the tv firmware itself?

i.e. If Apple TV was to add support for HLG, could the tv then display it?

As per BBC TV firmware cannot support the HLG updated app

As for HLG over HDMI, people have tried Roku and DirecTV - Samsung 2016 sets are unable to support it over HDMI

100% false. I have a Samsung M9500 blu ray player connected to my 2016 Samsung TV, and I can play HLG from the players YouTube app over HDMI, and my TV displays the video in HDR.

HLG over HDMI definitely works.