Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 31-01-2018 10:06 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

If don't works in your TV is a problem of your TV.

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options

Can people who want to post about HLG Broadcast, via dongle or any other kind of device you care to mention please start a new discussion thread where the content is relevant.

This thread was started specifically for customers angry about Samsung not supporting the BBC UHD iPlayer.

I have just spent another £1500 to replace a TV less than 3 year old to get that function from a TV that was supposed to be future proofed  by One Connect Evolution Kit.

I have every intention of filling a small claim at county court for miselling. Please though keep this thread specific to the title and help one another.

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

Repeat.

In 2016 models HLG work with broadcast (see Hotbird 4K1) and with USB port.

But is non sure that works with HDMI port.

It sure don't work with BBC iPlayer.

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@JTE wrote:

Can people who want to post about HLG Broadcast, via dongle or any other kind of device you care to mention please start a new discussion thread where the content is relevant.

ThSaveria ad was started specifically for customers angry about Samsung not supporting the BBC UHD iPlayer.

I have just spent another £1500 to replace a TV less than 3 year old to get that function from a TV that was supposed to be future proofed  by One Connect Evolution Kit.

I have every intention of filling a small claim at county court for miselling. Please though keep this thread specific to the title and help one another

This person @Anonymous User seems to be trying to say that HLG works in broadcast which as we know it does not.  Has any one here got HLG HEVC to work on a 2016 TV? 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:

Repeat.

In 2016 models HLG work with broadcast (see Hotbird 4K1) and with USB port.

But is non sure that works with HDMI port.

It sure don't work with BBC iPlayer.

So you except it will not work with BBC iplayer . Thanks that's all I wanted. 

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

Saverio,

There is no and wont EVER be any broadcast HDR/HLG in the UK and we already know the TV is technically capable of playing HLG. So what are you trying to prove here. This is about 4k HLG playback on iplayer. Because for the next at least 2 years (virgin and sky have recently brought out new set top boxes and they are not going to change anytine soon, freeview doesnt have the bandwidth) iplayer and possibly itv player over IP are the ONLY game in town for live tv broadcasts.

So we are back where we started, 2016 ks models and 2015 js models can not play 4k content via iplayer.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

*other than the sweaty DJ being very annoying.

I tried to play the clip on my ks9500 and it came up with unable to play. 

Not the TravelXP clip. This clip. 

Paul

So as far as I am concerned the 2016 Samsung s will not play HEVC HLG full stop. I know it will play YouTube VP9. Please do not say I am miss leading people, as that is the last thing I want to do. 

Well that's silly, because I've proved that it does work, and it has for many people, for 10 months.

You may say that there are difficulties playing HLG specifically from HDMI.

But you can't say that HLG won't play "full stop" without it being factually wrong. See the red arrow.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

You are giving information not correct. The file in the link is reproduced correctly on USB port. Full stop.

Not on my 65ks9500. Full stop.!!!! 

Yawn - does on my 55KS7000. Full stop.

Was the red arrow in the picture not big enough? 😞

It's not as if this is news, this thread is so long we've been over this, with the SAME CLIP, in December. No-one then suddenly started denying that HLG has been working on USB and YouTube since Feb 2017. Why now? Let's just move on.

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options

The fact that Sky have recently reported that all their programmes will be broadcast via broadband rather than satalite further underpins this argument.