Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 30-01-2018 09:09 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TimRex
Journeyman
Options

@AntS Please add me to the list of dissatisfied KS8000 owners.
I love the KS, but it's a bittersweet love. It's a shame that Samsung appears to have all but given up on it, and it makes me wish I had never been sucked in in the first place.
Maybe it's par for the course in the television market, but I've never before encountered a company that treats its customers with such contempt. The lack of communication is apalling. The customer service seems to exist only as a pretence but without ever following through. The outright broken promises and half-truths are astonishing.

As with many others, my particular grievances include the once promised but now no longer mentioned HDR10+ support. A simple acknowledgement that they are continuing to work on it would be a start, a firm commitment would go a lot further.

The half-delivered HLG support feels pretty dishonest, and Samsung's insistence that they've delivered "as promised" is nothing short of offensive. They're relying on a half-truth about only having promising "broadcast" HLG but failing to explain why they can't deliver on iPlayer in the face of clearly evident support from YouTube and via USB. They're clearly refusing to explain the situation in any rational way.

Lastly, the lack of any meaningful change to HDR support in Game Mode is dissapointing. They've known this is a problem for quite some time now and have sat on it, either unwilling or unable to remedy - but ultimately remaining silent on the issue. If they can ignore this _seemingly_ minor issue for so long - just how long are they going to ignore everything else that has recently come to light?

Samsungs inability to effectively communicate with its customers is nigh on infuriating. The lack of transparency does nothing to foster a community. Imagine if we could all be proud to be part of the Samsung community, and if Samsung worked with us to make the most of that community? Imagine if we were all invested members of that community, instead of being disenfranchised by the constant failure to engage with us?

Sadly.. I feel that Samsung have given up on the KS range. I hope to be proven wrong, but I doubt very much we will see anything meaningful on these issues.

PM06
Journeyman
Options

Hi Ant please add me to the list which seems to get longer by the hour.

Purchased a 49KS8000 from JL in November 2016 cannot believe that Samsung are failing to update the firmware for IPlayer HLG and HDR10+ when barely 12 months old was an avid Panasonic tv purchaser until I decided to try a Samsung now regretting this purchase will not buy Samsung again unless they upgrade the firmware as had been promised without exception.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@PM06 wrote:

Hi Ant please add me to the list which seems to get longer by the hour.

Purchased a 49KS8000 from JL in November 2016 cannot believe that Samsung are failing to update the firmware for IPlayer HLG and HDR10+ when barely 12 months old was an avid Panasonic tv purchaser until I decided to try a Samsung now regretting this purchase will not buy Samsung again unless they upgrade the firmware as had been promised without exception.

Thanks for adding your support and please spread the issues in other forums , like AV Forums , Facebook and Twitter . Also look on here and ks refunds to see if you can start .a refund claim.  The more that do the better. 

Paul

0 Likes
Fadge
Journeyman
Options

Hi AntS,

I posted quite sometime back so I am not sure I am on your list. I have a 55JS9000 which I bought from Martin Dawes. At the time it was sold as future proof as it had the one connect box so I am more that a little annoyed that a TV at this price point won't even get a firmware update for the 4K iplayer, despite apparently having the physical capability to run it. A lot of reviews, such as Trusted reviews and HDTVTest all make reference to the future proofing of the TV so this was clearly a marketing strategy by Samsung at the time.

This is my second Samsung TV and I also bought one for my mum and have recommended them to my farther in law and brother in law, along with other friends and family who also purchased Samsung. I am also looking at putting the JS in the conservatory and getting a 65" TV for the living room but at this moment in time it won't be a Samsung. 

When my Samsung S8+ phone and fridge freezer need replacing they will also be replaced by other brands if this is not resolved. 

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

It’s nice to see others sign up to voice their opinions so come on if there are any people who are watching this thread but not a member of this forum please sign up and voice your opinion, the more people that do this the better.

And you never know maybe Samsung will finally take notice.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@AntS Yep, you can add me to the list - a UK 43KS7500 purchased from Hughes in October 2016.

I've already checked with Hughes, and unfortunately I don't believe I've got an avenue to attempt a refund as the SmartThings hadn't been announced then, and isn't advertised on their website.

However, I'm dissatisfied at the broken promises and perceived obsolence of this TV just 18 months after purchase, not happy about the hard line taken by Samsung over HLG / HDR10+ (Plus), and the easy way TV models are abandoned.

I've already advised several friends to make TV purchases which aren't from Samsung, and I was going to buy a Soundbar to go with the TV, which I obviously will not do now. I also own an S8+, which will be replaced with an Android model from a different company once the contract is up.

My next TV won't be a Samsung, regardless of whether there is a U-turn on this, the damage to this brand is already done.

It's a shame because the KS7500 itself is a great TV.

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@AntS why can you only send one message because I have only sent one and got this

You have reached the limit for number of private messages that you can send for now. Please try again later.

Paul

That’ll be the spam buffer. ‘Fraid there’s no setting to alter that. You should be able to send more than one message; just not rapidly one after the other.

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@Jay108: Including the newbies, 90 on the list in total so far. That includes the 2017 TV peeps who’ve posted too (in order to give an overview of the whole HLG issue since the start).

@MilkyBarKid30@TimRex, and @PM06: I've added you guys to the list. Thanks!

@snosig@Fadge, and @TastyBurger666: You guys are already on the list.

Markbo
Explorer
Options

AntS please add me as another dissatisfied customer

I bought my 55JS8000 in Dec 2015 and whilst I think the misselling argument may not apply to these sets I do feel the issue of the failure to update the BBC iPlayer to at least 4K is an issue for me. I also bought last year the Samsung K8500 Blu-ray UHD player and there doesn’t appear to be any chance of that built in iPlayer being updated either. The same issue applies to HDR on the built in Youtube players in both the TV and Blu-ray player.

I think Samsung’s reluctance to enter into any form of dialogue with UK customers who have spent significant sums of money to buy 4K sets that won’t show 4k tests from the main UK broadcaster is totally unreasonable. Whilst I appreciate that technology is moving swiftly in this particular field, the other manufacturers seem to have overcome the issues of updating their older TV models.

Samsung please talk us, bland statements such as “No plans at this time” don’t answer our questions just raise the obvious question “Why are there no plans?”

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@AntS wrote:

@Jay108: Including the newbies, 90 on the list in total so far. That includes the 2017 TV peeps who’ve posted too (in order to give an overview of the whole HLG issue since the start).

@MilkyBarKid30@TimRex, and @PM06: I've added you guys to the list. Thanks!

@snosig@Fadge, and @TastyBurger666: You guys are already on the list.

Am I also on this list?

0 Likes