Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 28-01-2018 04:47 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
JTE
Navigator
Options

Believe me I have already tried that. The problem was that store do not use 3 rd party credit broker but provide the credit themselves. 

I have no no option now but to file small claim with county Court. Will be calling CAB/ Trading standards Monday to see if they are willing to help.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@TheChosenOne wrote:
Not really, this thread has excelled in the knowledge of consumer power and ways to beat down corporate greed that Samsung has shown.
Intially we all vented our frustration for the lack of 4k and HLG iPlayer during the Blue planet trial. However, that didn't work and the only way Samsung would listen is when every customers asks for a refund and by the looks of things the Smart thing dongle is a great way of achieving that.
Regardless of the result, I will never purchase or recommed a Samsung device again.

Well said,  and it would be great if everyone could also spread the word on AV Forums,  Facebook, twitter and anywhere else.  Also try resolver as it sends the conserns via the back door.  Also on YouTube any videos from Samsung you can add comments to. 

Paul

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@JTE wrote:

Believe me I have already tried that. The problem was that store do not use 3 rd party credit broker but provide the credit themselves. 

I have no no option now but to file small claim with county Court. Will be calling CAB/ Trading standards Monday to see if they are willing to help.

OK keep us informed as this could affect how the retailers go.  I very much doubt it will get to court.  They can bull s*** us but it's a different ball game if they had to go to court where they have to be truthful. 

Paul

0 Likes
Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

so currys finally replied to my email. said about the smart things extend and they truly didnt understand the question and replied about something else.

I also asked about 4kiplayer and HDR10plus and as expected they denied any responsbility, but at the same time made this statement, which to my non legal brain describes the exact issue with the smart extend dongle and why that is mis selling!!

"In regards to these services, unless previously advised by our website or the store that the updates would definitely be released you would not have a case for mis-selling.  

I have of course replied thanking them for their clarification and asking how this would not apply to the smart things extend dongle which is listed on their website: http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

"Your new TV will come with the *SmartThings Extend*, a small USB-like
dongle that plugs into your TV. Once you’ve done this, switch on your TV
and connect to Wi-Fi. "

its getting quite silly isnt it.

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

I'd have written back saying

"Many thanks for your cooperation in this matter, you have been most helpful.  I have taken your advice and started to persue your company for a refund, in the courts, due to the mis-selling of the TV. I have cited your latest email to me as you informed me that because your Website advertised the dongle and you haven't provided me with one that you do have a case to answer.  I look forward to a full refund of the purchase price."

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Ronson808 wrote:

so currys finally replied to my email. said about the smart things extend and they truly didnt understand the question and replied about something else.

I also asked about 4kiplayer and HDR10plus and as expected they denied any responsbility, but at the same time made this statement, which to my non legal brain describes the exact issue with the smart extend dongle and why that is mis selling!!

"In regards to these services, unless previously advised by our website or the store that the updates would definitely be released you would not have a case for mis-selling.  

I have of course replied thanking them for their clarification and asking how this would not apply to the smart things extend dongle which is listed on their website: http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

and connect to Wi-Fi. "

It's called mudding the waters, and it's obvious that they are trying detract from the primary issue.  I suggest go back and only mention the smart connect.  I have been told that the Advertising Standarts are investigating and so are trading standards.  It does look like they will need to be dragged to a solution for misrepresentation.  Again mention the cab advice that they think you have a case and also that Curry's have already paid compensation. 

Paul 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@crashcris wrote:

"Many thanks for your cooperation in this matter, you have been most helpful.  I have taken your advice and started to persue your company for a refund, in the courts, due to the mis-selling of the TV. I have cited your latest email to me as you informed me that because your Website advertised the dongle and you haven't provided me with one that you do have a case to answer.  I look forward to a full refund of the purchase price."

Well said. 

Paul 

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

So by the looks of it Curry's are trying even harder to distance themselves from mis-selling?

Has anyone else had any luck getting anything out of curry's?

0 Likes
Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Ronson808 wrote:

and connect to Wi-Fi. "

It's called mudding the waters, and it's obvious that they are trying detract from the primary issue.  I suggest go back and only mention the smart connect.  I have been told that the Advertising Standarts are investigating and so are trading standards.  It does look like they will need to be dragged to a solution for misrepresentation.  Again mention the cab advice that they think you have a case and also that Curry's have already paid compensation. 

Paul 

oh yeah, this is the funny thing the majority was about the smart extend dongle but I put that other stuff in as its also clearly awful customer service from both samsun and currys and i was half happy before to accept a different model with those other issues fixed. im more inclined to just go for a refund and get something else, or just not bother with 4k until things settle...

but the focus is and will be on smart extend. To be fair, the guy seems to have totally missed the point and Im going to assume its confusion and not deliberate at this point. Its just their regular customer service people, although I did get a reply from the CEO asking for more info...

the thing about going down the court route, you are basically just asking the judge on the day to agree. now I have zero experience of stuff in the consumer area, but in business, we have taken solid advice from people and ended up losing a case. So we all know there are risks in court of losing, even if it all looks clear cut.

saying this, this applies to currys equally as well. for them to risk someone taking this to court and winning would potentially open up every single sale to be question if the purhcaser wished. and I think it might get some press coverage in tech sites if the case was positive for the consumer, they like an underdog tale!

so this is why its so weird that they are risking this line, but hopefully the CEO email people are a bit more clued up in the risks and the seeming pretty strong case (Even by their own words!) of mis selling....

the fun continues.

0 Likes
Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@crashcris wrote:

oh i will be replying and using their reply to demonstrate the point :mantongue:

although im going to give them the chance to resolve it with this being clearly pointed out first....

0 Likes