Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 24-01-2018 04:16 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

It would be a whole lot easier if these companies gave out a consistent message rather than giving out different stores, passing the buck all the time, the only company I can see who has gone above and beyond is Richer Sounds.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

I haven't been in touch with Citizens Advice as of yet and I did pay by card - however I have since paid the card off and closed it too when I was paying off all my debts so I had less outgoings. Kind of wish I had left it open now.

This is why I'm hoping I can either get a replacement of voucher from Currys rather than a refund.

However I'm starting to wonder if I want to try for a replacement now as I can't find anything that's equal to this TV for the same price I paid of £1299. I wanted the LG C7 but I'm even having second thoughts about that now after reading several threas on issues with it's banding and halos.

Think I might be happier with a voucher to get a 4K Bluray player and an Apple TV or something 😕

Curry's in the end gave me a £549 voucher which is on it's way to me in the next 7 days or so, I also had reservations about the current generation OLEDS as I did not want to play the Panel Lottery game and go through loads of hassle to get it replaced.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Lengthy reply from CAB when Curry's where only offering a £549 replacement tv and not a voucher which may help you guys.

Thank you for your enquiry to the Citizens Advice consumer service. Your reference number is 14635771.

Please forgive the lateness of this response, we hope that you have had a satisfactory resolution in this time.

We understand that you feel that a television you have purchased has been misrepresented. You have been in negotiation with the trader who has offered a replacement, you would like to know if what they are offering as fair.

Your Rights and Obligations

Your rights fall under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, where goods provided should match the description given and this is not the case. The trader only has to provide a remedy if the fault is not due to fair wear and tear, neglect or misuse, and you weren’t aware of the fault at purchase.

In the first instance, you can ask for a repair or replacement (you can express a preference but the trader can decide which you get). This should be free, done in reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience.

Prove who caused the fault

In these cases the burden of proof will lie on you as the consumer, if the trader requests any proof, or you need a second opinion, then you could talk to someone you can trust, like a local trade association or approved trader. You may also be able to ask  the trader who they would accept an opinion from, for example any trade association they are part of. You may have to pay. Ask them to let you know what they find in writing or an email. If they say it doesn’t look like you caused the fault, it may help you. For example if it’s a fault with a piece of clothing, they may say it was caused by the stitching or fabric being laid the wrong way.

Bear in mind that if you elected for a repair or replacement and there were additional faults, or the same faults reappeared, or the repair or replacement was not done in reasonable time, you would have additional remedies available to you - namely a refund. You can either ask for a part-refund, where you keep the goods but get a partial refund. Or use your final right to reject where you return the goods and get a refund, reduced for usage.

You are only obliged to accept one repair or replacement before you ask for a refund. Any refund should be given within 14 days and the same way you paid.

What constitutes a suitable replacement or refund amount will be a negotiation between yourself and the trader.

Your Next Steps

Take the following steps

1. Follow the trader’s complaints process.

2. Formalise your complaint, send it recorded delivery and keep a copy. State what you would like to happen and set a deadline for a response. If the trader is unwilling to negotiate further, you may have to look at mediation or even court action. We have a template letter you could use.

3. Check if the seller’s a member of a trade association. Look on their website or ask them if you can’t see anything. Contact the trade association, explain the situation and see if they can advise you.

4. Ask the trader if they have an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) scheme - it’s a way of solving disagreements without going to court. A third party will mediate to try and reach a solution.

5. If they don’t respond, they’re not a member of an ADR scheme or won’t use ADR, keep a record of the fact that you asked them (and the date). You’ll need this if you end up in court.

6. Choose an ADR scheme yourself to try and solve the problem more informally. It’ll help you later if you end up going to court.

7. Take your case to court (or use the simple procedure if you’re in Scotland). This is a last resort and can be expensive and time-consuming. You should only do this if the item was particularly expensive and you don’t mind the stress and time of going to court.

What we'll do

We can understand and appreciate that this could be seen as misleading so would like to refer your case to Trading Standards. Whilst this may not resolve your case, it provides Trading Standards with vital intelligence on how the business operates. This would be sent without commitment for them to contact you, however, they may if they require further information for their enforcement purposes. In order to pass this information it would be helpful if you could provide us with the trader’s full address and postcode.

If you require any further advice or information about this case, please do not hesitate to contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service by return email or on 03454 04 05 06 quoting the case reference number.

Kind Regards

Citizens Advice Consumer Service

Tel:      03454 04 05 06

Web:  www.citizensadvice.org.uk

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged.  If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information.

The Citizens Advice Consumer Service is independent, confidential, free and impartial. Unless you say otherwise, information about you and your problem will be recorded. It will be shared with Trading Standards and other partner organisations to help them take action against traders, unless you ask us not to. It will not be shared with anyone else.

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options
Store MK, and I only pursued the missing dongle / Smartthings
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:
Store MK, and I only pursued the missing dongle / Smartthings

MK JL will be my second choice then, not that far from Northampton just need a way bigger car than my Audi A1 to bring stuff back in!

Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

I haven't been in touch with Citizens Advice as of yet and I did pay by card - however I have since paid the card off and closed it too when I was paying off all my debts so I had less outgoings. Kind of wish I had left it open now.

This is why I'm hoping I can either get a replacement of voucher from Currys rather than a refund.

However I'm starting to wonder if I want to try for a replacement now as I can't find anything that's equal to this TV for the same price I paid of £1299. I wanted the LG C7 but I'm even having second thoughts about that now after reading several threas on issues with it's banding and halos.

Think I might be happier with a voucher to get a 4K Bluray player and an Apple TV or something 😕

Curry's in the end gave me a £549 voucher which is on it's way to me in the next 7 days or so, I also had reservations about the current generation OLEDS as I did not want to play the Panel Lottery game and go through loads of hassle to get it replaced.

to use on what you chose or is it limted?

btw what was the name of the guy you emailed, ill try that route 😞

JTE
Navigator
Options

It does not matter that you closed the card or indeed the Credit Card account you can still use CC Para 75. Any arguments from CC Company simply advise you will go straight to FSA Ombudsman.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@daleski75... did you do as I suggested a couple of days ago and ask what the terms and conditions of the "voucher" you're awaiting are? eg time limitations, non-sale goods limitations or discount on goods over a certain price point? Hopefully it's a straight forward store credit voucher without any limitations, but being the cynic I am and having previously been mucked around by Currys, it would be good if you'd confirm that their deal with you is as genuine as we hope for.

All the best. Cris.

ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

@AntS wrote:

paul1277 wrote: 

@AntS can you comfirm that the KS 2016 sets will be able to recieve the olympics HLG 4k from the broadcast on bbc (not Ipayer) as shown in the link. You did post that the HLG update for the 2016 sets supports broadcast which is what this will be. It's only a few weeks off.

Thanks

Paul

I can confirm that with the latest firmware installed, KS 2016 sets are able to receive HLG on Broadcast services. Can't confirm if the BBC are indeed broadcasting the Olympics in HLG or how they'd deliver it though.

What, even though there are no actual HLG broadcast services? Which I’m sure you, everyone on this forum, and Samsung are all fully aware of. It doesn’t matter how many times the ‘company line’ is trotted out, it won’t make it true. I’d rather Samsung enabled something which we actually can get, than something that is yet to exist. The hole they are digging grows ever larger. 

ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

John Lewis Managing Director: Ms Paula Nickolds

email: *****

———

Currys - Dixon’s Carphone PLC Chief Executive: Mr Sebastian James

email: *****

personal twitter: https://twitter.com/@DCSebJ

my tips - always be factual, polite, concise. Tell them you only bought the tv because their website said whatever it said, and that their staff are not following the relevant consumer laws. Quote those laws. Look like you know what you are talking about, even drop in a link to the relevant law on the government website - it’ll show you have done your homework. And check your spelling!