Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 23-01-2018 10:59 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
sneakyvtr
Pioneer
Options

Evening all,

So have just got back from Richer Sounds, I must say from day 1 with this purchase Richer Sounds have outdone themselves. I did not have a single push back, I sent one email request a refund, I was told I could bring it back and swap for the KS9000 equivalent of the 2017 range the Q8C. At this point I sent a second email politely asking if we could skip the fuss with section 75 and consumer rights act etc and come to an agreement of a replacement for a different brand. The store manager said he would check with RS HQ but did not foresee it being a problem.

An email this morning saying that was not a problem and please go into the store. I packed up my KS9000 in the original box as best I could (always keep your boxes people!) and returned to their store. 20 minutes later I walked out with a 55" B7 OLED. Have just set it up and wow what a difference already.

I asked if they had any other complaints regarding this issue of which they said yes their head office had heard similar before and that Samsung also pulled the same stunt with an 'evolution box' or something similar and it cost them then.

I urge all of you to fight for your refunds as much as possible and show them this post that Richer Sounds are doing the right thing and siding with their customers. Richer Sounds have my loyalty for life and I hope it will pursuade you in future to avoid Currys like the plague! Best of luck gentlemen..

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@sneakyvtr wrote:

Evening all,

So have just got back from Richer Sounds, I must say from day 1 with this purchase Richer Sounds have outdone themselves. I did not have a single push back, I sent one email request a refund, I was told I could bring it back and swap for the KS9000 equivalent of the 2017 range the Q8C. At this point I sent a second email politely asking if we could skip the fuss with section 75 and consumer rights act etc and come to an agreement of a replacement for a different brand. The store manager said he would check with RS HQ but did not foresee it being a problem.

An email this morning saying that was not a problem and please go into the store. I packed up my KS9000 in the original box as best I could (always keep your boxes people!) and returned to their store. 20 minutes later I walked out with a 55" B7 OLED. Have just set it up and wow what a difference already.

I asked if they had any other complaints regarding this issue of which they said yes their head office had heard similar before and that Samsung also pulled the same stunt with an 'evolution box' or something similar and it cost them then.

I urge all of you to fight for your refunds as much as possible and show them this post that Richer Sounds are doing the right thing and siding with their customers. Richer Sounds have my loyalty for life and I hope it will pursuade you in future to avoid Currys like the plague! Best of luck gentlemen..

Great stuff I think out first success and hopefully will show owners it can be done. Richer Sounds would not have exchanged if they  thought there was no misrepresentation. Thanks for telling us all and could I ask you to spread this on the ks refund thread and also AV  Forums, ks8000/9000 thread.
Thanks
Paul

@sneakyvtr wrote:

Evening all,

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@sneakyvtr wrote:

Evening all,

After reading how easy it was for you I will be following you when I get a 55/65 C8V late summer I will definitely be getting it from my local Richersounds, even JL is now a distant second.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@sneakyvtr wrote:

Evening all,

After reading how easy it was for you I will be following you when I get a 55/65 C8V late summer I will definitely be getting it from my local Richersounds, even JL is now a distant second.

Great stuff I think out first success and hopefully will show owners it can be done. Richer Sounds would not have exchanged if they  thought there was no misrepresentation. Thanks for telling us all and could I ask you to spread this on the ks refund thread and also AV  Forums, ks8000/9000 thread.

Again well done and how do you compare to the samsung and is the less brigtness an issue?
Thanks
Paul

0 Likes
sneakyvtr
Pioneer
Options

Thanks, have got it all setup and to be honest I was scared it was going to be dim but looked fine in the brightly lit shop, no such problem as I normally watch TV in a fairly dim room with a few lamps on however with the main lights on it is still good. The colours and picture quality in my opinion are better than the KS from the content I have seen so far. The Grand Tour on Amazon looks considerably better than on the KS. Watched a bit of The Revenant in 4K HDR as well and it looks as good if not better. The best part is it hasn't restarted itself and the Tizen system hasn't crashed! :-).

Everyone in the RS store pushed me to go OLED rather than QLED as well as on the AV forums so it sealed the deal for me.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@sneakyvtr wrote:

Thanks, have got it all setup and to be honest I was scared it was going to be dim but looked fine in the brightly lit shop, no such problem as I normally watch TV in a fairly dim room with a few lamps on however with the main lights on it is still good. The colours and picture quality in my opinion are better than the KS from the content I have seen so far. The Grand Tour on Amazon looks considerably better than on the KS. Watched a bit of The Revenant in 4K HDR as well and it looks as good if not better. The best part is it hasn't restarted itself and the Tizen system hasn't crashed! :-).

Everyone in the RS store pushed me to go OLED rather than QLED as well as on the AV forums so it sealed the deal for me.

Really glad you are happy and glad the forum helped.  I think I have asked but could you briefly explain on AV Forums how you achieved the exchange. There are those saying we have no case or chance and you can show that is not the case. Also if you use Facebook might be worth spreading the result and how easy it was. In fact spread the word everywhere.

Thanks

Paul

sneakyvtr
Pioneer
Options

Sure, I still have email notifications on so will help out where possible. I hope others get the same result.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Chris325 wrote:

JL Head Office have just basically told me to foxtrot oscar. Richer Sounds it is then for my next TV! 

at the end of the day John Lewis is not above The Law, no matter what "head office" says.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@sneakyvtr wrote:

Sure, I still have email notifications on so will help out where possible. I hope others get the same result.

Thankyou very much for the update!

This is why Richer Sounds are heros, the opposite end of the scale to the utter scum at Curries (they don't even get enough respect from me to get their name right).

Would be harder for me because I got mine mail order, but certainly interesting.

Obviously, I trust you've tried the HLG demo inside the BBC iPlayer on that set? Surely that is the first thing you tried :winking-face:

It should prompt you when you launch iPlayer.  It's the 2016 test clip from Planet Earth 2 and I believe it is permanently available. If you accidentally said "no", you can find it stored somewhere in the "Help" menus.

0 Likes
sneakyvtr
Pioneer
Options

I certainly have, even my partner looked up from her phone and I quote “that is the best picture I have ever seen”. She did not know what it was! 

It was a jaw drop moment for me, so much so I left feedback like they requested 15/10 from me.