Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 22-01-2018 05:12 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

Well that sure is a blow! I've not even been offered anything either, doh!

I've complained to ASA however.

I am on the phone for a second opinion from cab.

kind of inconsistent approch, what about trading standards!

CAB are telling me that Currys are misrepresenting.

Its as we have been saying that the issue is with the retailer and when I mentioned about not legal contract they said that that is not an issue between the retailer and customer. They said that currys could be in breech of the Consumer Protection regs, [Ammendment ] 2014

and the 2015 Consumer regs. She went on to say that if any advertisement by the retailer which has influenced  you buying any item then that has to be delivered. If not then that is misrepresentation. She was surprised when I informed her of the other answer, so she went and checked her details and came back with relevant parts of the regs. She also advised me to look at the regs on their website.

So she confirmed that all the retailers who advertised the Smart Connect dongle as free of charge are guilty of misrepresentation.

Paul

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@sneakyvtr wrote:
Thanks Daleski. Is there any particular OLED that you guys would recommend to replace my KS9000? - It has been over a year since I knew exactly what was what in the TV space so I need to do my research but recommendations would be a great help!

I'd stump for the oled55b7v or oled55c7v both are £1499

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

Well that sure is a blow! I've not even been offered anything either, doh!

I've complained to ASA however.

I am on the phone for a second opinion from cab.

kind of inconsistent approch, what about trading standards!

CAB are telling me that Currys are misrepresenting.

Its as we have been saying that the issue is with the retailer and when I mentioned about not legal contract they said that that is not an issue between the retailer and customer. They said that currys could be in breech of the Consumer Protection regs, [Ammendment ] 2014

and the 2015 Consumer regs. She went on to say that if any advertisement by the retailer which has influenced  you buying any item then that has to be delivered. If not then that is misrepresentation. She was surprised when I informed her of the other answer, so she went and checked her details and came back with relevant parts of the regs. She also advised me to look at the regs on their website.

So she confirmed that all the retailers who advertised the Smart Connect dongle as free of charge are guilty of misrepresentation.

Paul

Awesome going to email Curry's now with that and see what they come back with.

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

This is capable of playing HLG (bbciplayer) and also HDR10+ (i think!)

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

if you can wait untill april/may - then LG OLED C8 will be great
at the minute i would suggest EZ952 (panasonic) - i have seen it in flesh and its great compared to LG (for now)

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options
panasonic EZ952B
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Dear *****,

Rather than keep you waiting I have called Citizens Advice and asked them the following questions.

1) Are Curry’s responsible for the advertisement of the Smart Thing Extend on their website.
Yes

2) Can Curry’s state they are not accountable for Samsung rescinding the product
No as the retailer advertised the product and by doing so this is misrepresentation if the product cannot be delivered and the decision to buy the tv was based off of this (which it was)

3) The offer from Curry’s for a non-equivalent tv despite age is this fair?
No due to misrepresentation Curry’s must offer a tv which is like for like

4) Do I have a case for misrepresentation and for the small claims court
Yes we believe you do and we (Citizens Advice) have also passed this onto Trading Standards

Because of all the above and the fact that Currys have repeatedly told me they are not responsible/accountable and are in clear breach of the consumer rights act of 2015 for mis-selling I will be now proceeding with court proceedings on the 29th of January if your final offer remains the same as before.

Regards,

Dale
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear *****,

Rather than keep you waiting I have called Citizens Advice and asked them the following questions.

1) Are Curry’s responsible for the advertisement of the Smart Thing Extend on their website.
Yes

2) Can Curry’s state they are not accountable for Samsung rescinding the product
No as the retailer advertised the product and by doing so this is misrepresentation if the product cannot be delivered and the decision to buy the tv was based off of this (which it was)

Yes we believe you do and we (Citizens Advice) have also passed this onto Trading Standards

Because of all the above and the fact that Currys have repeatedly told me they are not responsible/accountable and are in clear breach of the consumer rights act of 2015 for mis-selling I will be now proceeding with court proceedings on the 29th of January if your final offer remains the same as before.

Regards,

Dale

we again await their response.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear *****,

Yes

Regards,

Dale

Yup let's see what they come back with as they have repeatedly tried to distance themselves from this whole thing and have now even lied in writing.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear *****,

Yes

Regards,

Dale

Yup let's see what they come back with as they have repeatedly tried to distance themselves from this whole thing and have now even lied in writing.

When I was speaking to cab and mentioned the various answers that Curry's were answering with I asked if that could be taken into account if it went to court. I was told it would not look good if  retailers resorted to miss leading customers about consumer law when they are very aware of the various regs. She went on to say that only court can enforce the regs but, if it's an open case as this seems the retailers rarely go to court but settle before as they know the likely outcome.

Paul