Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 21-01-2018 08:32 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@BAMozzy wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

Long but well worth reading, well written, and right to the point, because all we want is Samsung to come good on their promises which they did advertise. It's not as if we are asking for something that was never offered for the 2016 set's. And as you say their silence I think shows their utter contempt for their UK customers and retailers. I would never recommend Samsung after this.

Paul

Long it maybe but I would rather give too much information than leave too much room for mis-interpretation or lead to more questions than answers.

Samsung assured us that HLG and HDR10+ would come and, like HDR10, are singular formats for delivering HDR. There isn't 3 or 4 methods of creating a HLG HDR image, there isn't multiple different methods and coding language for Dynamic Metadata HDR10+. These are singular universal formats. You won't get some HDR10+ working on Samsung whilst the others only work on Panasonic - HDR10+ should work in exactly the same way regardless - same with HLG.

Whatever aspect people here feel hard-done by, miss-sold etc, virtually ALL could be signifficantly improved by effective, honest communication. Had Samsung came out and stated that 'SmartThings will now not be offered on 2016 TV's for whatever valid reason, whilst I am sure some would still be upset, they may have a better understanding of why and may even been more accepting of that. The same applies with HLG - although I stiill think that may just be with the iPlayer App rather than HLG itself as its not even being updated to UHD either. Being open and honest, keeping their customers informed, would be far better. Its Samsung that were happy to communicate that both HLG and HDR10+ would come to the KS series and, as these are singular formats, implied that these would be FULLY supported. Yet now its come to the 'business' end, seem very reluctant to communicate and justify their decision.

Its not just these issues though that will impact on their customers but any future 'communication' from Samsung. Do they really think we can trust anything they state now? In the last 4yrs+ I can think of multiple claims by Samsung, multiple promises that have failed to materialise or be implemented as well as they implied.

Its like a car company promising that their 'new' electric car will be supported, will get updates that significantly improve the range and reduce the charging time etc but a year later, the range was improved but only by a few miles and only if you live in the US and charging is a bit faster but only if you use a certain type of 'electricity'. The promised support that would enable the cars to keep pace with current models - better GPS Sat Nav App for example that all the rivals got but not this car for no apparent reason. Those owners too wouldn't believe the car manufacturer the next time they make claims and promises and go with the others that have much higher customer satisfaction as well as company's that have much better, more honest and open communication!

When I said long I meant that in a good way because you explained your feelings in a logical manner, unlike me sometimes!

Paul

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Hi guys. I’ve been reading some of these posts but god there’s so much information to keep up with. I’ve got a KS7000 myself and would like to complain aswell. Where do I start and are the any emails that’s I can ammend and send?

let me know please 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@ne_on wrote:

Hi guys. I’ve been reading some of these posts but god there’s so much information to keep up with. I’ve got a KS7000 myself and would like to complain aswell. Where do I start and are the any emails that’s I can ammend and send?

let me know please 

If you look on the ks refund thread it's smaller and every thing you need is their. Firstly read that and we will try to help with any questions.

Paul

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options
Nice one Paul
0 Likes
Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

has anyone got an address to write to samsung head office about this?

im past emailing and wanted to let the head office know this is utterly unacceptable treatement...

0 Likes
carlos6
Apprentice
Options

I took my UE49KS7000 back to curry's yesterday and it took me 4 hours of being pushed around by the store manager and Samsung to get a full refund on the basis of unfulfilled promises of hlg and hdr10 and false advertising of the smart things dongle.

It took 4 HOURS BUT IF YOU PERSIST and stick to your guns you will get a full refund. 

Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@carlos6 wrote:

I took my UE49KS7000 back to curry's yesterday and it took me 4 hours of being pushed around by the store manager and Samsung to get a full refund on the basis of unfulfilled promises of hlg and hdr10 and false advertising of the smart things dongle.

It took 4 HOURS BUT IF YOU PERSIST and stick to your guns you will get a full refund. 

4 hours!! oh man.

yeah currys are pretty stupid, its not their fault samsung did this but they will lose custom if they try to mess us around.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Ant5 The moderator. Is something funny going on in this thread? I've noticed my "like" count has been dropping, a few days ago I had at least 77 likes (it may well have been more) and all of a sudden I now have 56? I'm not overly bothered about collecting "likes", my query is that I'm concerned that there may be an external influence being made on this thread and perhaps important  posts been removed.  Can you confirm what has been happening?

Many thanks.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@carlos6 wrote:

Well done, they may be getting the.message and is show's they know you are entitled to a full refund. Which store was it?

Hopefully people will see it is possible to get a full refund. Pass your success on to everyone, also on to AV Forum's.

Thanks

Paul

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Ronson808 wrote:

@carlos6 wrote:

4 hours!! oh man.

yeah currys are pretty stupid, its not their fault samsung did this but they will lose custom if they try to mess us around.

Under consumer regs it is the responsibility of the retailers to have the correct information. If they don't that's misrepresentation which is illegal and that is why they gave a refund. It does not matter that Samsung gave the wrong information. It is up to the retailers to claim from the manufacturer, not the customers.

Paul

0 Likes