Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 19-01-2018 08:32 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Dear Mr *****,

Thank you for your reply. 

As previously advised, we would not be in a position to provide a full refund of the TV, due to Samsung's withdrawal of a promissory service. 

I understand that my colleague Johnjo has offered a voucher to the value of £549.00 to allow you to purchase an alternate unit.  This offer was provided as a gesture of goodwill without prejudice, and as a full and final settlement to bring the issue to a close.  I do understand that you have rejected this offer however, should you wish to reconsider, I would be happy to leave this offer open until the 25th of January 2018.
I understand that Samsung have provided a resolution to the issue, and have offered to provide you with a SmartThings Hub. 

Whilst I appreciate your disappointment, I must reiterate that we would not provide you with a full refund, as we are not accountable for Samsung's decision not to release the Smart Things Dongle.

I await your response should you wish to accept our offer of goodwill.
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@sneakyvtr wrote:

Glad to see this is gaining traction. I was very dissapointed myself when I saw the BBC iPlayer list regarding my 55" KS9000 and coincidently how I found this thread - I think it is despicable to make a TV set of this price point end of life so soon.

I have had a string of issues with this set and it is the most expensive TV I have ever bought back in Dec 2016. It has been repaired once as arranged by Samsung customer service but the TV randomly turns on and off still. A range of Smart TV apps consistently crash, NowTV, Netflix, Amazon Video & Plex that I use to watch movies. Set was bought from Richer Sounds. RS customer service would direct me to the useless Samsung Customer service who would apologise ask me to send them proof of purchase to an email address and someone would get back in contact with me and it would end there. I would never get a response until the cycle started again. Now however I am out of manufacturers warranty the responsibility falls back to Richer Sounds with their 6 year guarantee.

Reading success stories of JL and Currys however did not see any information or break throughs regarding Richer Sounds as it seems they did not advertise the smart things dongle that others have pinned retailers with under the EU regs.

At this stage I wish to rid my hands of this TV set entirely and wished I paid the extra £500 at the time to get a 55' LG OLED. Further to this in my bedroom I have a 42" 1080p LG set that cost me £360 back in 2014 that is performs flawlessly in comparison, it has never missed a beat other than now being a bit out dated but it is still very watchable.

Any input into getting my refund in excess of £1500 with RS would be greatly appreciated. The web archive link posted previously doesn't state much apart from the below:

"Samsung SUHD TVs are IOT ready and allow you to create your very own SmartThings ecosystem
Experience a new world of possibilities as Samsung's SUHD TVs enable you to create your very own SmartThings ecosystem. With a wide variety of sensors and inputs work harmoniously with your TV you can control everything from lighting to heating, monitor your baby sleeping or check homework is being done all directly controllable from your SUHD TV."

https://web.archive.org/web/20161104014350/http://www.richersounds.com:80/product/tv---all/samsung/u...

Many thanks,

C

They are advertising the TV can be part of the iot but how do you achieve that with out the smart connect dongle? That is the question you need to ask them. When they say you need a dongle, you can reply that Samsung are not supplying it. Therefore you TV cannot be part of the iot, therefore misrepresentation and I think you have a case. 

Paul

Because of this confusion I think you can also argue against retailer applying a deduction

Ronson808
Pioneer
Options
***** they are awful, hoping that customers don't want the hassle to hold them accountable.

It's simple, we return the TV, they take it up with Samsung but we are really the ones not responsible for Samsung making promises and not keeping them.

Seems John Lewis will be the place to get future stuff from and not Currys. They think we will spend a grand plus and accept this rubbish?
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear Mr *****,

As previously advised, we would not be in a position to provide a full refund of the TV, due to Samsung's withdrawal of a promissory service. 

I understand that my colleague Johnjo has offered a voucher to the value of £549.00 to allow you to purchase an alternate unit.  This offer was provided as a gesture of goodwill without prejudice, and as a full and final settlement to bring the issue to a close.  I do understand that you have rejected this offer however, should you wish to reconsider, I would be happy to leave this offer open until the 25th of January 2018.
I understand that Samsung have provided a resolution to the issue, and have offered to provide you with a SmartThings Hub. 

Whilst I appreciate your disappointment, I must reiterate that we would not provide you with a full refund, as we are not accountable for Samsung's decision not to release the Smart Things Dongle.

Now it's up to you as they are offering a £500+ voucher and smart things hub. To me it's a change of tone and a last ditch effort to scare you into excepting. Funny how they keep upping their offers, and I think there is more, a full refund. I would again inform them you will be passing this offer to cab and taking their advice.
Paul

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear Mr *****,

Now it's up to you as they are offering a £500+ voucher and smart things hub. To me it's a change of tone and a last ditch effort to scare you into excepting. Funny how they keep upping their offers, and I think there is more, a full refund. I would again inform them you will be passing this offer to cab and taking their advice.
Paul

They don’t make it very clear if that’s £549 and you get to keep the Samsung!?? 

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear Mr *****,

Paul

They give me a replacement tv and I hand back the Samsung.

matlough
Explorer
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear Mr *****,

Paul

They give me a replacement tv and I hand back the Samsung.

Then sell the Samsung as customer return for.....£600!!

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear Mr *****,

If that is the case of it being a replacement then I think that's a no. 

May  I suggest that you call Citizens Advice, the number is on their website, on Monday. 

Have you bullet points ready such as,

The reason why you think there is misrepresentation,

Samsung's email saying they will not be supplying the dongle, so the TV cannot be a smart hub as advertised but as a gesture of good will offer a free smart thing's hub (£58), which does not enable smart hub with the TV as advertised,

Your request to Curry's for a refund under the Oct 2015 European Consumer regs for misrepresentation,

Their first response from them saying you have left it to late to claim for faulty good, and your response saying it's for misrepresentation and there is not a time limit,

Their advice to accept Samsung's offer and £150 voucher of good will. At no point do they not deny misrepresentation,

Their second offer of a replacement TV worth £550, nearly a third of the value of the TV you have, and not nearly the same spec. They also say the information was from Samsung and they are saying they can not be held responsible for Samsung's information,

They say their last offer is their final offer and given till the 25 Jan for you decision.

It could take a few days for a email reply.

Paul

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear Mr *****,

May  I suggest that you call Citizens Advice, the number is on their website, on Monday. 

Samsung's email saying they will not be supplying the dongle, so the TV cannot be a smart hub as advertised but as a gesture of good will offer a free smart thing's hub (£58), which does not enable smart hub with the TV as advertised,

Your request to Curry's for a refund under the Oct 2015 European Consumer regs for misrepresentation,

Their first response from them saying you have left it to late to claim for faulty good, and your response saying it's for misrepresentation and there is not a time limit,

Their advice to accept Samsung's offer and £150 voucher of good will. At no point do they not deny misrepresentation,

Their second offer of a replacement TV worth £550, nearly a third of the value of the TV you have, and not nearly the same spec. They also say the information was from Samsung and they are saying they can not be held responsible for Samsung's information,

They say their last offer is their final offer and given till the 25 Jan for you decision.

Paul

I am going to give CAB a call on Monday as you have advised to tell them all the points raised and will then ask them.

1) Is the offer from Curry's fair?

2) If it's not fair do I have a case for asking for a full refund?

3) Can Curry's as they are stating pass the blame onto Samsung and not accept responsibility?

4) In light of all the evidence do I have a good case for taking Curry's to the small claims court?

I think now I need a definitive answer from CAB and I will also call Trading Standards as well if CAB advise to as well.

Reading between the lines Curry's are trying to distance themselves from that promotion by trying to tell me that they cannot be held responsible despite it being plastered all over the website, this I think is there way of trying to come across like "we are doing you a favour" even though they mis-sold it.

Personally speaking I am pretty confident now I have a very good case against them and now just need confirmation from CAB to state this.

Once I have the facts in front of me I will then make a final decision on what to do on whether I will take them to the small claims court.

Worst case scenario if CAB side with Curry's on their offer I get £150 back (I will ask for a cheque) and I will get the Samsung Hub and sell it right away.

P.S I am no longer going to respond to Curry's until I have done the above and asked them to confirm it in writing if they can do it within the time constraint.

And sorry for the long post one final thing.

I will also give Curry's a deadline of the 25th (pay day lol) if CAB think I have a very good case before I go to the small claims court BUT only if I have a very good case.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear Mr *****,

Paul

I am going to give CAB a call on Monday as you have advised to tell them all the points raised and will then ask them.

1) Is the offer from Curry's fair?

2) If it's not fair do I have a case for asking for a full refund?

3) Can Curry's as they are stating pass the blame onto Samsung and not accept responsibility?

4) In light of all the evidence do I have a good case for taking Curry's to the small claims court?

I think now I need a definitive answer from CAB and I will also call Trading Standards as well if CAB advise to as well.

Reading between the lines Curry's are trying to distance themselves from that promotion by trying to tell me that they cannot be held responsible despite it being plastered all over the website, this I think is there way of trying to come across like "we are doing you a favour" even though they mis-sold it.

Personally speaking I am pretty confident now I have a very good case against them and now just need confirmation from CAB to state this.

Once I have the facts in front of me I will then make a final decision on what to do on whether I will take them to the small claims court.

Worst case scenario if CAB side with Curry's on their offer I get £150 back (I will ask for a cheque) and I will get the Samsung Hub and sell it right away.

P.S I am no longer going to respond to Curry's until I have done the above and asked them to confirm it in writing if they can do it within the time constraint.

And sorry for the long post one final thing.

I will also give Curry's a deadline of the 25th (pay day lol) if CAB think I have a very good case before I go to the small claims court BUT only if I have a very good case.

I agree let's see what they say, and don't forget you can message me on here if you want. Have you by any chance put all this into AV Forum's?

Paul