Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 19-01-2018 05:02 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

Hey Daleski75... Please be aware of Curry's knowledge of this page and how bouyed they'll be to keep reading your lack of commitment to actually do anything further than send a few emails. This is a public forum and it's not just us disappointed Samsung owners who will be reading it. Show no weakness, go in hard and best of luck.

That said, nobody actually wants the smartthings dongle anyway, we just want Samsung to support their TVs for a lot longer than just 1 year. We want our 2014/15/16/17 TVs to have the BBC iplayer UHD (HLG too, where physically possible).

Yup it would be nice to have a tv which is semi future proof for more than 12 months!

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

step into them and step hard, if they let it go to court then rejoice, they may end up paying for your LG C8 OLED :smileywink:

Not confident I would win and definitely could not afford court costs at the moment if I lost.

That's what they want to hear and myself and others said they will chip in. When you go to court cost will be explained and as Citizens Advice if you have case and could you incur further costs. They are relying on people being scared of going there, but it is designed to be done online. When you fill the forms the court then sends them to the other party. It's at thus stage I am almost certain that Curry's will back down. You can also ask for all your costs. I find it very hard to think that it will go past that first stage. Any one with any other thoughts?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I totally agree the more they think you will not go all the way the more they will string you along. It is easy for them to keep doing what they are doing and if they think people will not take it all the way they have no incentive to do the right thing.

Paul

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

I totally agree the more they think you will not go all the way the more they will string you along. It is easy for them to keep doing what they are doing and if they think people will not take it all the way they have no incentive to do the right thing.

Paul

I also think Curry's are now waiting to see what feedback I get from The Citizens Advice Bureau as I mentioned them on my last email to them.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

The fee's for taking Curry's to court.

The court fee is based on the amount you’re claiming, plus interest.

£70 + 5% of £1399 which is £69.95 so total of £139.95

There of course will also be barrister fee's, legal fee's etc which I believe are capped to around £200

So all in all it could cost around £340 in total which I assume you could claim back if you won?

Claim amount Paper form fee Online claim fee

Up to £300£35£25
£300.01 to £500£50£35
£500.01 to £1,000£70£60
£1,000.01 to £1,500£80£70
£1,500.01 to £3,000£115£105
0 Likes
Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

"So long as your next TV purchase supports these technologies (looking for an Ultra HD Premium certification is a good way to go), we reckon you won't be kicking yourself in six month's time when the next batch of sets arrive.."

http://www.techradar.com/news/best-tv-uk#article-body

how wrong is this statement? we all got the "Ultra HD Premium Certification" - still no future proofing!

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

Paul

I also think Curry's are now waiting to see what feedback I get from The Citizens Advice Bureau as I mentioned them on my last email to them.

If you have time I suggest you have a look at the small claims process. All the information is on the Which link and Citizens Advice web page, and I think that will show how easy the process is. They are also using tactics to start you questioning if you are right, and they try to sound official to reinforce those thoughts. What does surprise me is they actually made an offer, which means they have excepted misrepresentation. 

Paul

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

Paul

If you have time I suggest you have a look at the small claims process. All the information is on the Which link and Citizens Advice web page, and I think that will show how easy the process is. They are also using tactics to start you questioning if you are right, and they try to sound official to reinforce those thoughts. What does surprise me is they actually made an offer, which means they have excepted misrepresentation. 

Paul

The problem is they are not willing to budge on a better offer so I am playing hard ball and demanding a full refund, either offer made by Curry's is a joke considering they mis-sold and are in the wrong.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

The fee's for taking Curry's to court.

The court fee is based on the amount you’re claiming, plus interest.

£70 + 5% of £1399 which is £69.95 so total of £139.95

There of course will also be barrister fee's, legal fee's etc which I believe are capped to around £200

So all in all it could cost around £340 in total which I assume you could claim back if you won?

Claim amount Paper form fee Online claim fee

Up to £300£35£25
£300.01 to £500£50£35
£500.01 to £1,000£70£60
£1,000.01 to £1,500£80£70
£1,500.01 to £3,000£115£105

You do not need a barrister that's only for a criminal court not civil court. Best thing wait for Citizens Advice.
0 Likes
sneakyvtr
Pioneer
Options

Glad to see this is gaining traction. I was very dissapointed myself when I saw the BBC iPlayer list regarding my 55" KS9000 and coincidently how I found this thread - I think it is despicable to make a TV set of this price point end of life so soon.

I have had a string of issues with this set and it is the most expensive TV I have ever bought back in Dec 2016. It has been repaired once as arranged by Samsung customer service but the TV randomly turns on and off still. A range of Smart TV apps consistently crash, NowTV, Netflix, Amazon Video & Plex that I use to watch movies. Set was bought from Richer Sounds. RS customer service would direct me to the useless Samsung Customer service who would apologise ask me to send them proof of purchase to an email address and someone would get back in contact with me and it would end there. I would never get a response until the cycle started again. Now however I am out of manufacturers warranty the responsibility falls back to Richer Sounds with their 6 year guarantee.

Reading success stories of JL and Currys however did not see any information or break throughs regarding Richer Sounds as it seems they did not advertise the smart things dongle that others have pinned retailers with under the EU regs.

At this stage I wish to rid my hands of this TV set entirely and wished I paid the extra £500 at the time to get a 55' LG OLED. Further to this in my bedroom I have a 42" 1080p LG set that cost me £360 back in 2014 that is performs flawlessly in comparison, it has never missed a beat other than now being a bit out dated but it is still very watchable.

Any input into getting my refund in excess of £1500 with RS would be greatly appreciated. The web archive link posted previously doesn't state much apart from the below:

"Samsung SUHD TVs are IOT ready and allow you to create your very own SmartThings ecosystem
Experience a new world of possibilities as Samsung's SUHD TVs enable you to create your very own SmartThings ecosystem. With a wide variety of sensors and inputs work harmoniously with your TV you can control everything from lighting to heating, monitor your baby sleeping or check homework is being done all directly controllable from your SUHD TV."

https://web.archive.org/web/20161104014350/http://www.richersounds.com:80/product/tv---all/samsung/u...

Many thanks,

C

0 Likes