Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 17-01-2018 11:56 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Sent an email to Sebastien ***** from Dixons

Dear Sebastian,

Apologies for contacting you directly on this matter as I have not heard anything back from Team Know How or Customer Services since the 7th of Jan and I am unsure if my case is still being actively looked into or not.

The case number in question is *****.

I have included everything I have sent in writing to Curry’s Northampton including the letter of intent and also Samsung UK have also emailed me personally admitting to misrepresentation and the reason why I waited so long to take this up with Currys was  that Samsung promised it would be out during 2016 and then It was delayed till the end of 2017 before cancelling it completely.

I appreciate your time on this matter and in light of all the evidence I have provided I sincerely hope Curry's do the right thing and offer me either a full refund or replacement of my choosing and of course I want to avoid the small claims court if at all possible and I hope that myself and Curry’s can come to a mutual agreement.

If the case ***** is still actively being looked into could I ask for this to be confirmed so I know for my own peace of mind

Many thanks for your time and co-operation on this matter.

Kind Regards,

Dale *****

AntS
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@The auful catcha is back @AntS

Thanks for letting me know @paul1277. And grrr. I'm hoping that the captcha doesn't become a thing for this place. 

----

Edit: I've edited some of the personal info/data from your post above @daleski75. It's worth bearing in mind that stuff like full names and even case reference numbers posted on highly visible places like this are nuggets of gold for folks with less than honourable intentions (not that I've ever cyberstalked anyone... :innocentface: )

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:

BBC has most certainly taken the list down - its nowhere to be seen anymore!

Because BP2 trial has now ended, now you have example clip of HLG version of planet earth 2

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@barrybrown wrote:

hi

fella for what are JL replacing the tv is it for misrepresentation misselling because i have richersounds trying to contact me and if ur haveing sucess with JL i need to let them know.

regards b

Here's RS link, it is part of product since they no longer sell it, this is removed, don't think RS have any malicious intent, search for"iot" or "smartthings"

https://web.archive.org/web/20160722141850/http://www.richersounds.com:80/product/tv---all/samsung/u...

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear Sebastian,

Apologies for contacting you directly on this matter as I have not heard anything back from Team Know How or Customer Services since the 7th of Jan and I am unsure if my case is still being actively looked into or not.

I have included everything I have sent in writing to Curry’s Northampton including the letter of intent and also Samsung UK have also emailed me personally admitting to misrepresentation and the reason why I waited so long to take this up with Currys was  that Samsung promised it would be out during 2016 and then It was delayed till the end of 2017 before cancelling it completely.

I appreciate your time on this matter and in light of all the evidence I have provided I sincerely hope Curry's do the right thing and offer me either a full refund or replacement of my choosing and of course I want to avoid the small claims court if at all possible and I hope that myself and Curry’s can come to a mutual agreement.

If the case ***** is still actively being looked into could I ask for this to be confirmed so I know for my own peace of mind

Kind Regards,

Dale *****

Great letter yet again Dale - if I get no sense from customer service, I might 'borrow' this one too if you don't mind especially if you get anywhere with it.

Chris

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear Sebastian,

Kind Regards,

Dale *****

Great letter yet again Dale - if I get no sense from customer service, I might 'borrow' this one too if you don't mind especially if you get anywhere with it.

Chris

No problem if it helps use it and abuse it lol

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@barrybrown wrote:

hi

fella for what are JL replacing the tv is it for misrepresentation misselling because i have richersounds trying to contact me and if ur haveing sucess with JL i need to let them know.

regards b

Here's RS link, it is part of product since they no longer sell it, this is removed, don't think RS have any malicious intent, search for"iot" or "smartthings"

https://web.archive.org/web/20160722141850/http://www.richersounds.com:80/product/tv---all/samsung/u...

The advert is saying the TV can be part of the smart things,

Samsung SUHD TVs are IOT ready and allow you to create your very own SmartThings ecosystem
Experience a new world of possibilities as Samsung's SUHD TVs enable you to create your very own SmartThings ecosystem. With a wide variety of sensors and inputs work harmoniously with your TV you can control everything from lighting to heating, monitor your baby sleeping or check homework is being done all directly controllable from your SUHD TV.

It  says the TV's are ready, but without the Smart Connect it is not able to connect to the smart things. The email from Samsung UK says they will not be supplying the Smsrt Connect USB dongle for the 2016 models so you will not be able to use the feature as shown above,

Email from Samsung Presidents Office.

Good afternoon Mr K****,  I am contacting in response to your communication received to the CEO of Samsung UK. I am sorry to learn of your disappointment following your communication with our customer support team.

With regard to the Smart Things dongle, the decision was made for this to not be released, and I recognise that this has caused disappointment for which I offer my apologies. What I can do is provide a SmartThings Hub to you without charge as a gesture of goodwill. Please let me know if you would like to receive this and I can make the arrangements for you.

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns.

Regards

Kirsty *****
Customer Services Executive | UK & Eire

e: ******* | t: +44 (0)330 7267864

That  I think is classed as misrepresentation. I now they are not mentioning the free dongle but they are promising the ability to use the Smart Things IOT, but without the Smart Connect Dongle which Samsung have said they are not supplying therefore no Smart Things ability is miss selling, misrepresentation under the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regulations.

Just my thoughts but I think there is a case here as well. Anyone else think otherwise?

Paul

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I sent an email to Samsung UK CEO about BBC Iplayer HLG, HDR10+ and Smart Connect, and got a reply,

UK President <*******>

10:53 (3 hours ago)

to me

Dear Mr L****

I am following up in reference to your recent communication to our CEO’s office and my subsequent confirmation that this matter was under review.

To advise, the review is still taking place, as soon as we can confirm Samsung’s position we will do so but wanted to provide a further update in the interim.

Regards

Sean *****

Senior Customer Services Executive| UK & Eire

e: *******

t:  +44 (0) 330 726 7864

Samsung Electronics UK 
Samsung House
1000 Hillswood Drive
Chertsey, Surrey, KT16 0PS

Does this mean they are still talking about it or just a fob off?

Paul

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

I sent an email to Samsung UK CEO about BBC Iplayer HLG, HDR10+ and Smart Connect, and got a reply,

UK President <*******>

10:53 (3 hours ago)

to me

Dear Mr L****

I am following up in reference to your recent communication to our CEO’s office and my subsequent confirmation that this matter was under review.

To advise, the review is still taking place, as soon as we can confirm Samsung’s position we will do so but wanted to provide a further update in the interim.

Regards

Sean *****

Senior Customer Services Executive| UK & Eire

e: *******

t: +44 (0) 330 726 7864

Samsung Electronics UK 
Samsung House
1000 Hillswood Drive
Chertsey, Surrey, KT16 0PS

Does this mean they are still talking about it or just a fob off?

Paul

I think they maybe seeing how many people jump and down about this but still at least they are discussing it which is better than a flat out no.

0 Likes
Chris325
Explorer
Options

I have written to JL Head Office and am waiting for a response.