Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 17-01-2018 07:55 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:
JL

Congratulations on a great achievement, although it’s only what you are entitled to. Thanks also for opening that up so well for all the rest of us. I bought my Samsung at JL so I’m delighted with your result. I did put Samsung on notice many many pages back in this thread that they had until the end of Feb 2018 to put this right, before id go to JL for a claim for a refund. So I have to give them that, one of us has to stand by a promised date!!!

But I’m chuffed to know that it’s been a success, and I’ll be following in a few weeks I expect. Well done again....

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@73henny wrote:

When during 2016 did the JL smart things page appear on their website?

I was wondering the same thing as I bought mine in June 2016.  TBH I'm very happy with the quality of my TV but I must admit its tempting to go down this road as I'm extremely unhappy with the lack of iPlayer HLG support. 

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:
Yes thanks mate

Are you thinking of going for a refund?

I’ll be happy with a refund, credit note or exchange for a different brand mate. It will definitely not be an exchange for another Samsung though I can assure that!!

The cheapest OLED is still higher priced than what I paid for this TV and I can’t afford the extra currently so don’t think I’ll be able to go for that, however I’ll take any LG or Sony under £1299 just to get rid of this!!

If they offer a credit note then I’ll take it and wait for the OLED to come down or until I have enough money to buy it and go back to my trusty cheap LG 1080p TV until then. 

This was actually the first Samsung product I’ve owned and I promise it will be the last!!

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@blenky wrote:

@73henny wrote:

I was wondering the same thing as I bought mine in June 2016.  TBH I'm very happy with the quality of my TV but I must admit its tempting to go down this road as I'm extremely unhappy with the lack of iPlayer HLG support. 

They would have put it up when they started selling the TV. Don't worry about that just try using the which link, explain your reason for a refund, misrepresentation and wait for a reply,

https://www.which.co.uk/tools/faulty-goods-complaint-tool/

Here is the advert,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

Good luck.

Paul

Jep_uk
Pioneer
Options

@blenky wrote:

@73henny wrote:

I got mine nov 2016, and like you I like my tv, but broken promises and lack of hdr game mode fix is annoying. Got mine in sale for around 850 so doesnt give a lot of choice to replace it, closest is the sony xe90 or an LGsj850v. Would have to add money for the sony but would get change and a bigger tv with the lg. Would need to start reading reviews and see how they compare to the ks7000. Another thing I would need a new tv to do is watch films from my synology nas (not plex capable yet) as the samsung has the ds video app.

barrybrown
Explorer
Options

hi

just to ask the smart things has never worked for the ks series here in the uk and its still not working now as i have never tried to use it

regards barry

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@barrybrown wrote:

hi

just to ask the smart things has never worked for the ks series here in the uk and its still not working now as i have never tried to use it

regards barry

It never worked because you would have needed the Smart Connect USB dongle to connect to the Smart things. It was this dongle that the retailers and Samsung said they would supply free of charge to their 2016 models. They did not and even Samsung UK have admitted they are not going to supply them full stop. So with that it means the 2016 models will not be able to connect to the Smart things. That is why it is misrepresentation or miss selling, and that is why if you were aware and had seen the retailers adverts in regards to the free Smart Connect Dongle you are entitled to a full refund according to the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regulations...

Paul

barrybrown
Explorer
Options

hi thanks again for your help and knowledge

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I put up the good news in AVforums and got banned. The post has also been taken down, so can't believe they are censoring posts!!!!!

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

I put up the good news in AVforums and got banned. The post has also been taken down, so can't believe they are censoring posts!!!!!

Did they give a reason as to why and how long for?