Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 15-01-2018 02:23 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@JAMES4578 wrote:

@AntS wrote:

Morning all. Apologies for my absence. Got struck down last week by that terrible flu that's doing the rounds currently.

No further update as of yet on the HLG issue, I'm afraid. I've had to edit a few of your posts earlier to take out full names of third-party retailer service agents you guys spoke to or email addresses, but otherwise I've left your posts as they were. Thanks for the continued contribution!

Noticed a post about capcha info being required before signing in. I had that too just before I was off sick, but not this morning. This still happening for you guys?

Afternoon Ant, pity you were hit by the flu bug but hopefully firing on all cylinders now! Know folk have other concerns but just to say I was having to input the dreaded captcha (which obviously some sites require) last week but also got straight in today.

As has been mentioned there may be valid reasons why Samsung has not yet enabled Iplayer HLG for 2016 sets even if wouldn't be the best PR, understandable customers seeking redress though and now will inevitably be too late for the current content.  Know lack of communication frustrating and will be negativity about,however hopefully something official in due course.

That is the thing, you say Samsung may have valid reasons but it was them who promised these things, it not as if we had just assumed we were getting them. That is why I thing it's not unreasonable to expect Samsung to explain why they have not implemented them and to tell us if we will ever get them. It was Samsung that advertised them.

Paul

Ste_A
Explorer
Options
That's how I feel too. My Samsung phone contract is up for renewal in March and it won't be another Samsung, unless they update the TV's before then, otherwise no Samsung products ever again. They way they are treating their customers is disgusting and the fact they lie too is another insult. They're a very big company and they know this won't impact their business. They just hope we will give up and go away. TW*TS!!
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Sam-Knp wrote:

got a call from JL again and they assured me that "they are looking the matter" - lets be hopeful (not overly) but still hopeful

I suggest we give them a bit of time so they can sort themselves out and decide hopefully on the right course of action.

Paul

Agreed. Whilst sustaining the pressure, of course. :smiling-face:

What we have had as Statements from Samsung are "holding" responses. If the person reading them chooses to interpret tham as "EOL announcements", that is the interpretation of the person reading it, NOT the message that was in the holding statement. 

Hence my correcting the pronounced "take away" yesterday. You are free to infer or "take away" whatever you like, but please, don't say that Samsung said something which they did not say, and then spread your own speculation around as if it was the announcement - when it was certainly not any such announcement.

Doing that doesn't help any of us, especially those of us who want the outcome to be promises kept and firmware and apps delivered and are working in that direction. Thanks :smiling-face:

amokuk
Voyager
Options

Sadly you are deluding yourself paul. Frankly if we were going to get the update they would have said something like

"We are really sorry but we had to prioritise resources and get the 2017 models working first. Firmware updates arr complicated and require significant quality assurance investment to ensure that we dont render your tv into an expensive brick. Sadly this means that the 2016/15 models will not be getting the required firmware update in time for the bbc iplayer trial. Rest assured this update will be delivered to these models by the the time the bbc starts full broadcasts. Once again please accept our apologies."

There you go that took 5 mins on my phone and would have stopped 99 pages of ill will towards Samsung. They don't care, we aint getting Jack and thats a 99.999% fact.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@amokuk wrote:

Sadly you are deluding yourself paul. Frankly if we were going to get the update they would have said something like

"We are really sorry but we had to prioritise resources and get the 2017 models working first. Sadly this means that the 2016/15 models will not be getting the required firmware update in time for the bbc iplayer trial. Rest assured this update will be delivered to these models by the the time the bbc starts full broadcasts. Once again please accept our apologies."

There you go that took 5 mins on my phone. We aint getting Jack and thats a 99.999% fact.

I am a bit confused that says they will update? If they can do the 2017 what is so hard to do the  2016 models? I may be deluded but I would have thought Samsung being a Korean company would have kept their word, or been honest with their customer's, this as proved not to be the case, and it shows much they think of us. Shows the Japanese are honourable and the I think the Canadians (LG) also. as they never promised the updates but have updated their 2016 sets! 

Paul

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@amokuk wrote:

"We are really sorry but we had to prioritise resources and get the 2017 models working first. Firmware updates arr complicated and require significant quality assurance investment to ensure that we dont render your tv into an expensive brick. Sadly this means that the 2016/15 models will not be getting the required firmware update in time for the bbc iplayer trial. Rest assured this update will be delivered to these models by the the time the bbc starts full broadcasts. Once again please accept our apologies."

There you go that took 5 mins on my phone and would have stopped 99 pages of ill will towards Samsung. They don't care, we aint getting Jack and thats a 99.999% fact.

@amokuk wrote:

Why is this being continually sent, and not my reply.

amokuk
Voyager
Options
What are you confused about? We are not getting anything from samsung. I just spent 5 minutes giving an example response that samsung should have given us a month ago. They didn't, they haven't, they wont. We are banging our heads against a brick wall. Its done, I'm done.
amokuk
Voyager
Options
I've been editing it. Spelling and grammar. Maybe that's why?
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@amokuk wrote:
What are you confused about? We are not getting anything from samsung. I just spent 5 minutes giving an example response that samsung should have given us a month ago. They didn't, they haven't, they wont. We are banging our heads against a brick wall. Its done, I'm done.

Sorry I read it as an actual response from Samsung.

Paul

amokuk
Voyager
Options
If only it was Paul!!