Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 12-01-2018 04:12 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:

"the US gets HDR10+ for 2016 and we don't. " - why is it so complicated to push the same firmware here in UK ?

all the models are the same they have KN and we have KS prefixes - inside chips / boards should all be the same - in my opinion..I am an IT consultant by profession and I can only map this scenario to my field - one windows update rolled across the globe...!

Has US (2016) got HDR10+ update?  

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@Sam-Knp wrote:

"the US gets HDR10+ for 2016 and we don't. " - why is it so complicated to push the same firmware here in UK ?

all the models are the same they have KN and we have KS prefixes - inside chips / boards should all be the same - in my opinion..I am an IT consultant by profession and I can only map this scenario to my field - one windows update rolled across the globe...!

Yes, then have been watching some Amazon in HDR10+. As always it probably roll over here later on Amazon, but if we don't get the update that's the issue. I have asked if we will get the update and all I get back from Samsung is there are no plans at this time. This is worrying because I one would have thought they plan things well in advance, and if it was positive then they would say so, but if it's a no, then we have no plans sound's like a no. Bit like BBC HLG.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@Sam-Knp wrote:

I heard yes also on avsforums not sure if it's only on KS8000 and above there though. Also don't gorget there is zero HDR10+ content right now so maybe Samsung are waiting to see if it catches on over here?

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

@Sam-Knp wrote:

Yes, then have been watching some Amazon in HDR10+. As always it probably roll over here later on Amazon, but if we don't get the update that's the issue. I have asked if we will get the update and all I get back from Samsung is there are no plans at this time. This is worrying because I one would have thought they plan things well in advance, and if it was positive then they would say so, but if it's a no, then we have no plans sound's like a no. Bit like BBC HLG.

See link below:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-own...

Someone contacted Samsung Canada and asked about the HDR10+ update. This is the response received.

“Dear ******
Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Care. 
I can certainly understand your concern about HDR10+ firmware update for your TV model. 
I see that you're referring to US weblink and please note that TV models and firmware updates vary from country to country. Our expertise is limited to the products sold in Canada only and we cannot speculate the availability of HDR10+ firmware release for 2016 TV models. 
In Canada, HDR 10+ will be supported by our upcoming 2018 TV and UBD lineup. 2017 4K TV's are expected to support via firmware which isn’t currently available and we do not have expected date of firmware release. 

We appreciate your patience and understanding on this.”

0 Likes
terryo
Apprentice
Options

Oh well, there’s always LG.....

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:

The issue is most likely that they don't need to push HDR10+ to the UK yet. Amazon US are the only (current) suppliers of HDR10+ content and therefore, the UK is not necessary to upgrade at this point in time. If the UK based Amazon App was to have HDR10+ content accessible, then they would need to update our, and 2017 TV's to get access to that content. I know that the Grand Tour is UK based content but it seems that Amazon US are bringing HDR10+ to their subscribers first. As far as I know, there isn't a time-line for Amazon UK to bring HDR10+ content to its subscribers - unless it already has but that's not what I have been led to believe from independent sources.

From tomorrow (Wednesday 13th), owners of Samsung QLED and 4K TVs (US models only) will be able to stream HDR10+ through their set's Amazon Prime Video app - from What HiFi for example.

although that does contradict this from Samsung https://news.samsung.com/uk/samsung-and-amazon-prime-video-first-to-launch-hdr10-content

Prime Video is the first streaming service to implement HDR10+, now available in the UK on the entire Samsung 2017 UHD TV lineup

That statement does say 2017 models.

When HDR10+ was 'promised' to 2016 KS models, they did state it would come in the latter half of 2017 BUT also stated that the 2017 range would be getting HDR10+ first. If the delay was because of say Amazon and getting its HDR10 content and App up and running, assuming Samsung DO stick to their word and update the KS (or just 2016) range as PROMISED at a later date (after the 2017 models as they stated), we should expect an update in the next 3 months or so.

Apart from Samsungs own site stating specifically the 'UK', all other sites seem to think the US is the ONLY current source and the only territory to be updated in the 'first' wave. It would seem that we in the UK will be in a different wave - maybe if they get the US KS TV's updated before the 'wave; hits the UK, they could use that to do a simultaneous update with their UK 2017 models (if they haven't been updated already). Like I said, I see different, conflicting information regarding HDR10+ and UK Samsung TV's 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Here is the miss leading advert from J Lewis showing the free Smart Connect for 2016 models, which Samsung UK have said they are not supplying. Misrepresentation under the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regs and if you saw this before you bought then you are entitled to a full refund.

This is from the J Lewis page

Smart Home - SmartThings

Control and automate your smart home from 
your TV with Samsung SmartThings

Add your TV to your connected smart home to open up a whole new world of automation. With your existing Samsung SmartThings Hub* you can set your TV to turn on as you enter the room, adjust connected lights and speakers, or control hundreds of other compatible smart devices. Create the perfect entertainment experience by turning your TV into the brain of your smart home with Samsung SmartThings Extend*. Smart home connectivity from the comfort of your sofa.

Smart Home - SmartThings

Paul

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Amazed wrote:

@amokuk wrote:

Just the 4 days left to get an update to watch blue planet 2...

samsung....? echo .....? echo ....? echo ...?

I think it's gone beyond wanting to just watch Blue Planet 2 now.

I think Samsung need to wake up and smell the coffee 

I don't think Samsung are interested. UK customers are a small part of their base. Says every thing when the US gets HDR10+ for 2016 and we don't.  

That is simply false, our American brothers and sisters have not got HDR10+ for their KS 2016 models. I even mentioned it yesterday!

0 Likes
barrybrown
Explorer
Options

mate great thread and keep me updated with any results im about to go to see the manager of my richer sounds we bought a 49ks8000 and a panasonic 40 inch 4k set and the panasonic doing the bbc uhd at 1 third the price.I will chip in for a small claims test case

b

0 Likes
barrybrown
Explorer
Options

great stuff keep it up i want a new tv or my money back samsung ripoffs.

0 Likes