Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 09-01-2018 06:03 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

Yes. 

Even though thats a very generic response I think it's safe to assume that our KS series tv's have all but being dropped by Samsung when it comes to any new features irrespective if the tv can support them.

0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options
0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options
I wish Samsung would come clean and confirm that all 3016 KS models are obsolete for HLD iplayer and HDR10+
0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options

This should help as it specifically mentions streaming services.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/television-home-theater-accessories/televisions/...

UHD Viewing
The UHD One Connect Box gets you advanced connectivity and enables you to watch UHD 4k content through streaming services such as Netflix. The One Connect Box is compatible with a range of UHD standards including HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and the VP9 and HEVC codecs so you are up to date without having to buy another TV.** Each future upgrade requires purchase of a new One Connect Box.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Thats for 2013-2015 tv's and select models only not 2016 KS series although it might possibly help older televisions but your mileage may vary.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

It seems that there are quite a few 2017 Samsung owners also having problems, with the same poor Samsung support.

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@JTE wrote:

This should help as it specifically mentions streaming services.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/television-home-theater-accessories/televisions/...

UHD Viewing
The UHD One Connect Box gets you advanced connectivity and enables you to watch UHD 4k content through streaming services such as Netflix. The One Connect Box is compatible with a range of UHD standards including HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and the VP9 and HEVC codecs so you are up to date without having to buy another TV.** Each future upgrade requires purchase of a new One Connect Box.

That is targeted for us market, avoid using that in your claims

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Curry's got my letter of intent.

Dear Mr. Kilborn,

Thank you for your letter regarding the problem with your T.V.
Whilst I understand and empathise with your situation, due to the lack of a legal team at store level I am unable to assist you regarding a case of miss selling. I would always refer a customer to our customer service team (which I can see that you have done so already) where a qualified legal team can help you with your enquiry.

Kind regards
Mike

::DISCLAIMER::

To be fair a particular store of retailer alone cannot make decision as they may not people who understand the law, you will have to communicate with Currys support as the dongle was advertised by Currys website, so try explaining to knowhow and use both the store and knowhow's response in the claims court - trading standards can guide further

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Curry's got my letter of intent.

Dear Mr. Kilborn,

Thank you for your letter regarding the problem with your T.V.
Whilst I understand and empathise with your situation, due to the lack of a legal team at store level I am unable to assist you regarding a case of miss selling. I would always refer a customer to our customer service team (which I can see that you have done so already) where a qualified legal team can help you with your enquiry.

Kind regards
Mike

::DISCLAIMER::

To be fair a particular store of retailer alone cannot make decision as they may not people who understand the law, you will have to communicate with Currys support as the dongle was advertised by Currys website, so try explaining to knowhow and use both the store and knowhow's response in the claims court - trading standards can guide further

It is clear in the regs that it is the retailers who are responsible and I am sure the manager of these stores would know the regs. In the reply he says that they don't have a legal department, but Curry's do and it is up to the manager to consult with them, not you. I am sure he has consulted with them and this is their only answer. I am sure it only increases our argument as they again have not denied misrepresentation. I think it's not unreasonable to expect an answer either way from the retailer, and by not doing so is an admit of miss selling, and contravention of the consumer regs. You could reply and point this out and demand a suitable answer either way, if not you will report them to trading standards.

Paul

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:
Just read this article on techradar
"If you have one of Samsung's latter-day QLED or UHD high-end TVs like the Samsung Q9F, you're in for a treat. You can stream in HDR10+ now on the units through Amazon Prime Video." - no idea if this will be available on 2016 SUHD TVs - any idea?

Unless and until Amazon change their User Interface to show whether a given title is being displayed by the TV in HDR10 or HDR10+, we will have no way to tell either way.

Because the Amazon App is not a HDMI input, we can't use the Info button (and again, Samsung would have to change the display of the Info button to indicate HDR10+).

Amazon are holding all the cards 😞

0 Likes