Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 08-01-2018 10:51 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
JTE
Navigator
Options
Just sent this to BBC Whatchdog.

In 2012 Samsung introduced the Oneconnect Smart Box for their TVs which promised to futreproof TVs. They claimed the they would produce a updated box every 2 year to keep TVs up to date. It now appears that this promise has been renaged with only a software update promised for 2016 models. This has meant that customers who were early adopters of UHD are unable to watch HLG Broadcast standard UHD content. Moreover, hundreds or thousands of customers buying these TV on the promise of future proofing are also unable to whatch the Blue Planet 2 on the BBC iPlayer in UHD.

Both Samsung and many retailers are ignoring loyal customers who have spent thousands of pounds on TVs and any purchased before 2016 will have to be replaced completely when purchased because of misleading promises.

The Samsung Community pages show numerous examples of disgruntled customers.
JTE
Navigator
Options
0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

I have mailed watchdog as well

0 Likes
terryo
Apprentice
Options

I mailed Watchdog before Christmas, no reply yet. Perhaps we ALL need to mail them to get a response.

0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options

Just added this Thread to BBC iPlayer Twitter feed. It appears to be the most read and contributed feed in the Samsung Community. I think we should attempt to send it viral so that Samsung can’t ignore it any longer. If they believe the Brand is being damadged they may have to do something.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

I bought 78" KS9500 Curved SUHD Quantum Dot Ultra HD Premium HDR 1000 TV  from John Lewis just over 6 months ago.  I payed over 4000 pounds for it.    It seems that ULTRA HD PREMIUM HDR Badge does not mean anything.  Do I have a case for a refund from John Lewis? 

Bit of a bummer that Samsung now deem it to old to update. 

If you did your research like Curry's suggest you should do and you saw their advertising (there are links on this thread and Ks refund thread.), and was informed, and that information was used as part of you decision to purchase that TV, and either that information was incorrect or not delivered as promised, then that is misrepresentation, which is against the law, and you can ask for a full refund for mis selling. Use the Which link which again is on these forum's and fill it in. It will tell you if you have case. It will compose a letter which you can send to your retailer, and include your evidence which there is a JL link advertising the Smart Connect which never turned up. Make it clear you want a refund for misrepresentation, not faulty goods. Every thing you need is on this thread. When the retailer denies you have a claim that is OK, because they will. But that is the start. Under the regs you have to first bring it to the attention of the retailer, then you have 3 options, consumer credit act, section 75 for credit cards, same if you bought using store interest free or interest charged credit, and the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regs. The law takes a dim view of misrepresentation because it's a unfair way to get an advantage over competitors and against the law.

Good luck, and let us know how you get. Paul

Anyone contacting retailers should include the following from consumer rights act 2015:

retailers are in breach of section 9, 10 and 11 of consumer rights act 2015 and under sections 19 and 24 you are entitled full refund

Please note that the act itself does not stipulate 6 years, but what clearly mentions are two time windows, 30 days and 6 months, 30 days is no quibbles return/exchange and 6 months is a period where fault is considered to be inherent meaning that the fault was present from day one and not developed over time

Any problems outside of that window does not specify any time frame e.g. misselling as explained under section 11, you can also tell retailers to decide if they want an easy way out by sorting out between yourself and the retailer or spend up 3-4 times over in the courts

I would suggest anyone willing to get refund discuss this with trading standards as well

Those who are in doubt and unwilling to change set over HLG have an option to buy third party boxes that can support HLG, as for HDR10+ Samsung have been clear 2016 won't get support for HDR10+ via HDMI - so you need to evaluate your options

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Thanks for that info but could you tell us which fhird party boxers that will do HLG,as I have not seen any. I have read that the new Panasonic uhd bluray player is HDR10+ compa

0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options
I have spoken to trading standards and have ref 14594598 if anyone on the to add to that.
0 Likes
Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

Just received a response from Samsung uk on Twitter

“We have enabled all 2016 UHD TV with UHD HDR HLG for Broadcast Services as promised. It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG Content delivered via the BBC i-Player Application as this is not a Broadcast Service.”

0 Likes