Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 08-01-2018 06:38 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:
If I connect Roku 4K to my KS9500 TV.. Will i be able to watch UHD iplayer Blue Planet (HLG) even though my KS9500 model is not supported?

Yes I believe so as long as HLG is enabled for external devices and if the roku 4k supports hlg too.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

I bought 78" KS9500 Curved SUHD Quantum Dot Ultra HD Premium HDR 1000 TV  from John Lewis just over 6 months ago.  I payed over 4000 pounds for it.    It seems that ULTRA HD PREMIUM HDR Badge does not mean anything.  Do I have a case for a refund from John Lewis? 

Bit of a bummer that Samsung now deem it to old to update. 

If you did your research like Curry's suggest you should do and you saw their advertising (there are links on this thread and Ks refund thread.), and was informed, and that information was used as part of you decision to purchase that TV, and either that information was incorrect or not delivered as promised, then that is misrepresentation, which is against the law, and you can ask for a full refund for mis selling. Use the Which link which again is on these forum's and fill it in. It will tell you if you have case. It will compose a letter which you can send to your retailer, and include your evidence which there is a JL link advertising the Smart Connect which never turned up. Make it clear you want a refund for misrepresentation, not faulty goods. Every thing you need is on this thread. When the retailer denies you have a claim that is OK, because they will. But that is the start. Under the regs you have to first bring it to the attention of the retailer, then you have 3 options, consumer credit act, section 75 for credit cards, same if you bought using store interest free or interest charged credit, and the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regs. The law takes a dim view of misrepresentation because it's a unfair way to get an advantage over competitors and against the law.

Good luck, and let us know how you get. Paul

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jay108 wrote:
If I connect Roku 4K to my KS9500 TV.. Will i be able to watch UHD iplayer Blue Planet (HLG) even though my KS9500 model is not supported?

You will have to check but I do not think the Roku has the IPlayer uhd app.

This is what is so bad that a top if the range TV from 2016 2017, is not being updated with HLG Iplayer app unlike Panasonic and LG. Also we were promised HDR10+ as a update late last year, and a free smart connect USB dongle, all failed promises from Samsung, and you can see the links where these were advertised on this forum.

Pa

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

Yes I believe so as long as HLG is enabled for external devices and if the roku 4k supports hlg too.

But how do you enable HLG for external devices?

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Samsung are treating their flagship tv's now as a comodity in the same way as their smart phones, keep them for 24 months then upgrade to get the latest features.

The thing which Samsung don't realise is that if people spend their hard earned money on a flagship tv they want to keep it for 5 years at least and they expect it to be supported for as long as possible until the hardware either cannot cope or a new feature relies on newer or additional hardware to run that new feature.

If 95-99% of the their tv's are just small iterations it's down to laziness and contempt for customers if they do not update all flagship tv's from 2015 onwards or earlier.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

Samsung would need to enable HLG support for external devices in the firmware I guess?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

Samsung would need to enable HLG support for external devices in the firmware I guess?

I don't remember seeing the Roku in the BBC IPlayer supported devices. If it was I would have thought the TV also needs to support HLG HEVC which our 2016 and older TV's do not. What is odd is YouTube VP9 is supported, but not the broadcast HEVC version. That's important because if it does become a standard, we will not have it...

Paul

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

The answer is NO. The Roku 4k does not at the moment support HLG (to the very best of my knowledge). I tried one on my js8000 and even the 4k resolution didn't look any better than the original broadcast in HD once processed/upscaled by my TV. See page 14 of this topic.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/Blue-Planet-2-HLG-No-Samsung/td-p/339023/page/14

I took close up pics of the pixels.

0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

I bought 78" KS9500 Curved SUHD Quantum Dot Ultra HD Premium HDR 1000 TV  from John Lewis just over 6 months ago.  I payed over 4000 pounds for it.    It seems that ULTRA HD PREMIUM HDR Badge does not mean anything.  Do I have a case for a refund from John Lewis? 

If you go down the road of the dongle then yes you have a case for a refund due to mis-selling, you could also argue about HLG, 4k iplayer support to add more weight to your case.

It's worth a go anyway you have nothing to lose apart from a bit of time writing emails, letters.

My reply from Fenwicks of Newcastle and response having had TV changed once already for the same reasons when I discovered the model purchased October 2015 would not display HDR content.

Dear Philip

Thank you for your reply.

Please could you confirm the date that my TV was changed.

Regrettably, I will be lodging a Claim with the County Court. The basis of my claim will be A. That it is unable to display HLG Content (the new broadcast standard for UHD, and B. That as the BBC iPlayer cannot be updated it is not future proofed as promised.

I just want to reiterate that while this is out with Fenwicks LTD control the TV was purchased on the basis of misleading claims about being future proofed.

If there is anything material about my claim that might pursued me otherwise regarding the likely success at County Court I would be grateful if you could let me know. In the event that material additional information is provided at a later date that might have persuaded me against the likely success of a claim I shall lodge a separate claim, if necessary, to recover the costs of my first claim if unsuccessful.

Kind Regards
John

Sent from my iPhone

@ON 8 Jan 2018, at 15:19, Philip ***** <*****> wrote:

Dear Mr Ellsbury,

Further to our email of the 28th of December and having looked into this further I regret that I cannot offer for you to exchange your Samsung JS9000 television.

The set is UHD complaint but the BBC have changed their application requirement and that is out with our control.

I apologise for the delay in my reply and for any disappointment this may cause.

Yours sincerely,

Philip *****.

Philip *****
Customer Service Manager
Fenwick Ltd
39 Northumberland Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE99 1AR

Tel: 0191 232 5100 or *****

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@JTE wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

If you go down the road of the dongle then yes you have a case for a refund due to mis-selling, you could also argue about HLG, 4k iplayer support to add more weight to your case.

It's worth a go anyway you have nothing to lose apart from a bit of time writing emails, letters.

My reply from Fenwicks of Newcastle and response having had TV changed once already for the same reasons when I discovered the model purchased October 2015 would not display HDR content.

Dear Philip

Thank you for your reply.

Please could you confirm the date that my TV was changed.

Regrettably, I will be lodging a Claim with the County Court. The basis of my claim will be A. That it is unable to display HLG Content (the new broadcast standard for UHD, and B. That as the BBC iPlayer cannot be updated it is not future proofed as promised.

I just want to reiterate that while this is out with Fenwicks LTD control the TV was purchased on the basis of misleading claims about being future proofed.

If there is anything material about my claim that might pursued me otherwise regarding the likely success at County Court I would be grateful if you could let me know. In the event that material additional information is provided at a later date that might have persuaded me against the likely success of a claim I shall lodge a separate claim, if necessary, to recover the costs of my first claim if unsuccessful.

Kind Regards
John

Sent from my iPhone

@ON 8 Jan 2018, at 15:19, Philip ***** <*****> wrote:

Dear Mr Ellsbury,

Further to our email of the 28th of December and having looked into this further I regret that I cannot offer for you to exchange your Samsung JS9000 television.

The set is UHD complaint but the BBC have changed their application requirement and that is out with our control.

I apologise for the delay in my reply and for any disappointment this may cause.

Yours sincerely,

Philip *****.

Philip *****
Customer Service Manager
Fenwick Ltd
39 Northumberland Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE99 1AR

Tel: 0191 232 5100 or email *****

That is step one, now section 75. Your argument is they promised full support for HLG. Where does it say except , and why can the support 2017 sets and not yours, which they have not answered. They also have not said it was not miss sold, but now blaming the BBC. Let the credit card companies and the FSA look into it for you.