Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 04-01-2018 02:39 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options
I hope that Samsung don't take too long on making a decision for this.
crashcris
Voyager
Options

Thanks. I sincerely hope they are going to do right by ALL owners of these 4k TVs, irrespective of age of set. Even if technically not possible to implement HLG on some sets, the UHD iplayer is an absolute must on all that could support it, be it due to a firmware update or just paying for the licence to enable it to work. I use the word "ENABLE" because that is the word used in Samsungs statement - "We have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players". - Which certainly implies that it's entirely Samsung's considered choice to WITHHOLD this service from their 2014/2015/2016 customers.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Hi some one from the KS forum put this Richer sounds link which states teh smart connect.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160708035232/http://www.richersounds.com:80/product/tv---all/samsung/u...

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

Thanks. I sincerely hope they are going to do right by ALL owners of these 4k TVs, irrespective of age of set. Even if technically not possible to implement HLG on some sets, the UHD iplayer is an absolute must on all that could support it, be it due to a firmware update or just paying for the licence to enable it to work. I use the word "ENABLE" because that is the word used in Samsungs statement - "We have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players". - Which certainly implies that it's entirely Samsung's considered choice to WITHHOLD this service from their 2014/2015/2016 customers.

Oh yes. There's no doubt at all that it is technically possible. That's been re-confirmed today with the news that there's a discussion happening. If it wasn't possible, there would not be any discussion to be had other than how quickly to offer automatic refunds to every owner.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Here is another lame excuss from Samsung support

This is to acknowledge that we have received your response to our e-mail about your unit. With regards to further diagnosis, please feel free to contact us at 0330-726-7864 on your most convenient time within 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from Monday to Saturday so that one of our representatives can ask for an approval for the processing of another service request.

Regarding the Smart Connect USB dongle, we recommend seeking for assistance with Currys to provide confirmation if it is their promotion so that they can provide options for you. As of this time, Samsung has no existing offer for the free USB dongle.

As for the link related to HDR, we have checked that this is under Samsung US and covers Samsung televisions which are manufactured for the US. As of this time, there is no plan yet of enabling the UHD version of BBC iPlayer for your given TV model which is UK-based.

If you require additional support, you can find How-To videos, answers to your questions and other useful information about Samsung products on our Support website www.samsung.com/uk/support.

Kind regards,

Shieryl M

0 Likes
Amazed
Explorer
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

Hi some one from the KS forum put this Richer sounds link which states teh smart connect.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160708035232/http://www.richersounds.com:80/product/tv---all/samsung/u...

Did this also apply to smaller screens? I have a 49KS7000?

0 Likes
Tazg101
Journeyman
Options
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

Here is another lame excuss from Samsung support

This is to acknowledge that we have received your response to our e-mail about your unit. With regards to further diagnosis, please feel free to contact us at 0330-726-7864 on your most convenient time within 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from Monday to Saturday so that one of our representatives can ask for an approval for the processing of another service request.

Regarding the Smart Connect USB dongle, we recommend seeking for assistance with Currys to provide confirmation if it is their promotion so that they can provide options for you. As of this time, Samsung has no existing offer for the free USB dongle.

As for the link related to HDR, we have checked that this is under Samsung US and covers Samsung televisions which are manufactured for the US. As of this time, there is no plan yet of enabling the UHD version of BBC iPlayer for your given TV model which is UK-based.

If you require additional support, you can find How-To videos, answers to your questions and other useful information about Samsung products on our Support website www.samsung.com/uk/support.

Kind regards,

Shieryl M

Lol this is good, they're shifting blame on Curry's, JL have already set precedence in honouring consumer protection law, makes sense to put pressure on Curry's instead of diverting resources in chasing Samsung, those who got refund from Curry's by contacting Samsung and put pressure on Curry's

Use this link as proof of misselling when talking to Curry's

http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

I have been met by silence now with curry's after they stated I cannot do/say anything as it's been 18 months since I purchased the TV despite telling them that consumer law dictates you have 6 years to tell them if you've been sold faulty goods, not as described etc but they where having none of it.

Going to give them a few more days before sending a further email with more proof about my rights as a consumer and will see how I get on.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

They will not make it easy but just keep at them.