Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 02-01-2018 07:59 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Tezz
Voyager
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

What's the reason for returning it out of curiousity and where did you buy it from?

Because of no Smart things extend.

I contacted the CEO through email which is on Samsung's site.

It took only a few weeks because of christmas. 

I bought it from J Lewis who are awesome. But samsung had to give me a code to send it back.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@Tezz wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

What's the reason for returning it out of curiousity and where did you buy it from?

I bought it from J Lewis who are awesome. But samsung had to give me a code to send it back.

That's awesome, can you please share the text of your communication and email id so that I can speed things up, cheers

Tezz
Voyager
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@Tezz wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

That's awesome, can you please share the text of your communication and email id so that I can speed things up, cheers

This is what you have to do.

Call samsung support and tell them that the Smartthings dongle won' be coming out ancient work

With out it.

They should give you a number. If not asked them for one.

Then contat the CEO through the email link on Samsung's support site and them

You bought the TV because it was  going to get the smartthings extend and you

Either want axextend or your money back.

Then wait for answer.

ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

Crikey! 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
This the reply from Samsung through resolver. I have sent a reply with the links showing their adverts. I love the HDR10+ get out, and deny the dongle shows them trying to miss lead. This is to acknowledge that we have received your e-mail about your Samsung TV with model code UE65KS9500TXXU. With regards to the TV's specifications, we have enabled all 2016 UHD televisions with UHD HDR HLG for broadcast services as promised as long as the TV's firmware is updated. It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG content which is delivered via any UHD-supported apps as those are not considered broadcast service. Meanwhile, the TV supports HDR 1000 because Samsung conceptualised two categories for HDR (HDR and HDR 1000) and HDR 10 is not included in the specifications. With regards to Smart Connect USB dongle, may we know if you are referring to an offer or promotion? Based on initial checking, the TV does not come with a USB dongle. We will appreciate your further advise so that we can check the best resolution for this particular item. If you require additional support, you can find How-To videos, answers to your questions and other useful information about Samsung products on our Support website www.samsung.com/uk/support or you may contact us at 0330-726-7864 within 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from Monday to Saturday. Kind regards, Shieryl M Customer Service Representative www.samsung.com/uk/support
0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

OK, well done. However if people only mention the smartthings dongle and don't mention the lack of support for the BBC iplayer in UHD and HLG (which is after all what we're on this forum campaigning for) then they will not get the true reason for our disgust at their support for sets older than 1 year.

By all means use the dongle as the technicality but tell them that their statement that "We have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players."  is also going against what they promised for the 2016 sets and shows lack of commitment to their customers in the long term too.

They need to get the message.

richardg
Explorer
Options

Re this statement, "It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG content which is delivered via any UHD-supported apps as those are not considered broadcast service." Perhaps you could ask them how their 2017 TVs are now able to access  the  BBC iPlayer UHD trial without supporting this service? 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@richardg wrote:

Re this statement, "It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG content which is delivered via any UHD-supported apps as those are not considered broadcast service." Perhaps you could ask them how their 2017 TVs are now able to access  the  BBC iPlayer UHD trial without supporting this service? 

That's a brilliant argument and never thought of it myself but it is very true and should be used in your letters. In fact it mab be a good quest @AntS may be able to answer.

I agree with this statement also,

OK, well done. However if people only mention the smartthings dongle and don't mention the lack of support for the BBC iplayer in UHD and HLG (which is after all what we're on this forum campaigning for) then they will not get the true reason for our disgust at their support for sets older than 1 year.

By all means use the dongle as the technicality but tell them that their statement that "We have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players."  is also going against what they promised for the 2016 sets and shows lack of commitment to their customers in the long term too.

They need to get the message.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

I think it would be a good idea to get some templates setup so everyone has a fair chance of a refund/replacement, what's the general opinion on this?

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@AntS wrote:

@amokuk wrote:

@Do we have any update from samsung regarding this? @AntS?

No further update as of yet, @amokuk.

But this thread is being noticed. 

For everyone: I appreciate that there's an appetite to spread this issue (and stuff springing from it) around on the forum, but it really is best in this instance to keep things focussed in one area/thread when it comes to posting on here.

Happy new year, and for You, @AntS: Samsung really needs to issue a commitment statement for BBC iPlayer support (both 4K and HLG) very soon. Being "noticed" is simply not good enough. Patience is wearing extremely thin. You can see this from the thread. Do the right thing.

Samsung DID NOT say "we'll give you HLG, but over-the-air broadcast only guys, absolutely no streaming services".

Their repeated statements using this LIE - @paul1277 has posted yet another reply from them just an hour ago, still using it - serve to do nothing but ramp up everyone's anger.

In fact the opposite is true. They were the only manufacturer to repeatedly commit to HLG, when no-one else would:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/hybrid-log-gamma-what-is-it-2947378

"Only Samsung, out of all those polled, maintained that all its UHD HDR 2016 models could be firmware updated to support HLG. “All of Samsung’s 2016 HDR TVs will be firmware upgradeable to support Hybrid Log-Gamma broadcast HDR once it is widely available,” we were told emphatically."

"Emphatically" means "without doubt; clearly.".

"Will" doesn't mean "might", "perhaps", "if we feel like it", etc.

For the love of god, get on the phone and get the message to them: tell them to to stop lying to customers.