Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 25-12-2017 06:30 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@Cattv wrote:

Merry Christmas,

I purchased a 4K  UE48JU6400  from Richer Sounds in 2016 in the belief that it would be compatible with forthcoming 4K services. We also have an older Samsung 32 inch set, 3 Samsung mobiles , Samsung tablet and a Samsung washing machine. Thus I am a loyal Samsung customer

The UE48 works fine with Amazon and Netflix  4K offerings ,thus I am very disappointed that Samsung have decided to make it obsolete for the 4K  Iplayer which is the main application used on this tv. Before purchasing the set we looked at the Sony Panasonic and LG offerings but we took the salesmans recommendation that the Samsung operating system was superior to it's compeditors . This was obviously a mistake, .

When we purchase a a replacement for the 32 inch will probably be from another manufacturer who does not make their products obsolete in less than 2 years.

Bought a Samsung American fridge freezer in 2006, broke down within a year after repeated repairs finally moved to LGE never had any problems since, fast forward to 2017 and this time Samsung to LGE transition is faster than last time, Samsung need to up their game and focus on quality instead of fooling people with tall promises you can't deliver upon

Grinch
Explorer
Options

Merry Xmas

And there I was thinking that Samsung had done the honourable thing and sorted out the HLG iPlayer issue so that I could sit down and watch it in all its glorious 4K of colour on Xmas day with the grandchildren.

Alas  that is not the case, however I can keep my fingers crossed that it is done in time for the new year.😊

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

I love my 2016 KS TV but really disappointed with Samsungs disregard re HLG on iPlayer. They really need to make good or mark my words a hell of a lot of people will jump ship when looking at their next TV. 

Amazed
Explorer
Options

@blenky wrote:

I love my 2016 KS TV but really disappointed with Samsungs disregard re HLG on iPlayer. They really need to make good or mark my words a hell of a lot of people will jump ship when looking at their next TV. 

More than just those posting here....

Markbo
Explorer
Options
From What I have read on various forums, the reason why Samsung will not support our TVs by providing the version of BBC iPlayer with 4K capability is a not a technical one but a licensing issue. So, if this information is correct, then we have a situation where Samsung are not prepared to pay the BBC to update the 2015/16/17 sets.

Now this raises the interesting question as to should we not be blaming the BBC for trying to monetise their 4k HDR material at the expense of us Samsung owning UK TV Licence players who have indirectly contributed to the cost of the production of this 4K material, but, are now prevented from watching it.

On the other hand, many of us have paid well over £1000, some even over £2000 for their TV sets, and bearing in mind the profits Samsung have made out of us at those prices, I would imagine the cost per TV set of providing the necessary iPlayer for previous years models would be relatively small. Whilst not trying to defend Samsung, I can understand their reluctance to pay out additional costs on models where such additional costs may not have been factored in to the retail price of those sets when they were first sold. But, it would appear other manufacturers are prepared to do it.

I can also appreciate the cash strapped BBCs need to raise additional funding wherever they can to cover the cost of their technological developments, but charging manufactures extra for the 4k player seems an illogical way to cover such costs, as clearly some are not prepared to pay, even though their sets can play the material, which all seems rather counter productive.

When colour was introduced we paid extra for a colour TV licence, perhaps this might be a better approach for the BBC, in the future, when they have a range of programming in 4k, rather than charging manufacturers extra to include a 4k player. After all we have to pay extra for 4k HDR on services such as Netflix.

As this appears to be a stalemate caused equally by the BBC and Samsung it’s unlikely that programmes such as Watchdog will take up this cause, so we can only hope that Samsung does the right thing by its customers and finds some way to update these sets.

Surely Samsung must realise they have a lot of angry customers and I would hope that they would take some time to explain their position on this forum rather than issuing bland generic statements that raise more questions than they answer.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Amazed wrote:

@blenky wrote:

More than just those posting *****....

hear, hear! :smiling-face:

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Markbo wrote:

As this appears to be a stalemate caused equally by the BBC and Samsung it’s unlikely that programmes such as Watchdog will take up this cause, so we can only hope that Samsung does the right thing by its customers and finds some way to update these sets.

Surely Samsung must realise they have a lot of angry customers and I would hope that they would take some time to explain their position on this forum rather than issuing bland generic statements that raise more questions than they answer.

You raise good points but those are for the wider issue. The issue at hand now is that owners of TVs sold by many other, poorer manufacturers HAVE provided updates, and Samsung, who has the largest market share in the world, has not.

This is the context in which Samsung has to act. The list again for those who missed it, of all the other manufacturers who are putting Samsung to shame:

Finlux
Hisense
Hitachi
Laurus
LG
Linsar
Logik
Mitchell & Brown
Panasonic
Philips
Roku
Sony
Techwood
Toshiba
Walker

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@Markbo wrote:
From What I have read on various forums, the reason why Samsung will not support our TVs by providing the version of BBC iPlayer with 4K capability is a not a technical one but a licensing issue. So, if this information is correct, then we have a situation where Samsung are not prepared to pay the BBC to update the 2015/16/17 sets.

Now this raises the interesting question as to should we not be blaming the BBC for trying to monetise their 4k HDR material at the expense of us Samsung owning UK TV Licence players who have indirectly contributed to the cost of the production of this 4K material, but, are now prevented from watching it.

On the other hand, many of us have paid well over £1000, some even over £2000 for their TV sets, and bearing in mind the profits Samsung have made out of us at those prices, I would imagine the cost per TV set of providing the necessary iPlayer for previous years models would be relatively small. Whilst not trying to defend Samsung, I can understand their reluctance to pay out additional costs on models where such additional costs may not have been factored in to the retail price of those sets when they were first sold. But, it would appear other manufacturers are prepared to do it.

I can also appreciate the cash strapped BBCs need to raise additional funding wherever they can to cover the cost of their technological developments, but charging manufactures extra for the 4k player seems an illogical way to cover such costs, as clearly some are not prepared to pay, even though their sets can play the material, which all seems rather counter productive.

When colour was introduced we paid extra for a colour TV licence, perhaps this might be a better approach for the BBC, in the future, when they have a range of programming in 4k, rather than charging manufacturers extra to include a 4k player. After all we have to pay extra for 4k HDR on services such as Netflix.

I will be very surprised if there is licensing cost involved in this case it is an open standard and licensing should already be covered, please note that Samsung 2016 are not even getting vanilla 4K UHD upgrade for iPlayer, and current firmware already supports MPEG and VP9-P2 so it is just a matter of dedicating resources to update the app, Panasonic LGE are updating sets from 2015, hisense is also supporting their TVs, it is a case of deprioritising 2016 and older sets

amokuk
Voyager
Options

I would be massively suprised if its a case of licensing with the BBC. HLG is an open standard and they do not monitize iplayer, it's free for any uk license payer. They are cold hard facts. Name me anything on iplayer except for this trial where that is the case? A more likely senario is that samsung have not paid a license to a third party for DVB-dash, thats nothing to do with the BBC. However DVB-dash is a per client license as far as I can make out and they already have a client license because netflix uses it. A much more likely senario is that Samsung have to provide a gaurantee that their API works in a certain way. The BBC are testing a standard and they are likely to want manufacturers to say yes we are fully compliant with the way our TV's process this. They are dilly dallying over certifying 2016 and 2015 model because they need to pump QA resources to it. They dont want to.

In summary

Highly unlikely the BBC are to blame with licensing

More likely a license with a third party, DVB-Dash

Almost certainly a certification problem that the BBC require and Samsung cant be bothered to spend QA time on.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@amokuk wrote:

I would be massively suprised if its a case of licensing with the BBC. HLG is an open standard and they do not monitize iplayer, it's free for any uk license payer. They are cold hard facts. Name me anything on iplayer except for this trial where that is the case? A more likely senario is that samsung have not paid a license to a third party for DVB-dash, thats nothing to do with the BBC. However DVB-dash is a per client license as far as I can make out and they already have a client license because netflix uses it. A much more likely senario is that Samsung have to provide a gaurantee that their API works in a certain way. The BBC are testing a standard and they are likely to want manufacturers to say yes we are fully compliant with the way our TV's process this. They are dilly dallying over certifying 2016 and 2015 model because they need to pump QA resources to it. They dont want to.

In summary

Highly unlikely the BBC are to blame with licensing

More likely a license with a third party, DVB-Dash

Almost certainly a certification problem that the BBC require and Samsung cant be bothered to spend QA time on.

Dash is part of core dvb standards, Samsung is member of DVB they do not have to pay extra, dvb-dash uses hevc Samsung have both hardware and software in place, it is only a matter of pushing same iPlayer app on 2016/15 sets (they would need some resources to test this out though)