Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 24-12-2017 12:29 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options
Thanks. It does indeed work on the desktop site. When viewing on mobile you get redirected. Thanks. Does anyone know when this free dongle started to be offered?
ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

@Amazed wrote:

@Jep_uk wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@ukpetey wrote:

I don’t suppose they’ll be in a hurry to do anything.

Well certainly not over the Xmas break, no. 

@ukpetey wrote:

My KS7000 tv’s firmware is still on 1201 and even today it says no updates are available. I’ve been reading for weeks that 1201 has been updated, but I’m not faffing about with USB drives. So I’ll just wait.

Well then, that's entirely your choice - the rollout mechanism takes weeks/months because they are done in batches. If you want it promptly, you can "faff about with USB drives" (hardly a faff really, it's very streamlined).

1201.6 was released on 3rd Aug. Since then we've had 1203.6 (27th Sep) and 1208.2 (14th Nov).

From what you say, something doesn't sound right. If you manually "check for updates" and are not seeing even 1203.6 by now, something could be wrong with your setup?

NB: Software updates don't work if you're inside an app, you must be viewing a HDMI input or one of the internal tuners.

But seriously, instead of stressing that it's not updating, if you do want the latest firmware, just download 1208.2 (14th Nov) from http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE55KS7000UXXU#n and follow the simple instructions :winking-face:

If you follow the simple instructions you will not be able to install firmware as the instructions are wrong. 

Another example of Samsung caring about their customers, not correcting wrong information.

Also, since I don’t have a Windows Pc I’m not sure how following the simple firmware download instructions would work. 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

It say's in 2016 the free dongles will be available. In 2 weeks  they will have broken that promise, because they have gone very quite on that front.

Grinch
Explorer
Options

Hi

Thanks for the links. Must say I did not know about the SmartThings  built in APP on my 2016 49KS9000. I have printed it off the Curry’s “Tech Talk” and Along with the 5 Year free warranty, 2015 miss selling regs. I will be communicating with Currys in the New Year.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@ewanstancarr... Even if the online shops alter the adverts for the 2016 sets, the video at CES 2016 is definitive! You have a Samsung person standing up in a room saying that EVERY SUHD 2016 owner WILL get one of those things in a room full of customers, press and retailers. You can't get much more definitive than that!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed. 

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice  03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer. 

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

Paul

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I must make it clear I am not a solicitor or legal trained. I am passing on what I have researched and please do not hold me responsible for any mistakes I may make. I have followed this route and got a result.

When you think how much you paid for a KS and now you can get a LG for half that price and it may not have a smart connect but it will be BBC Iplayer (therefore broadcast) compatible.

Paul

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

I must make it clear I am not a solicitor or legal trained. I am passing on what I have researched and please do not hold me responsible for any mistakes I may make. I have followed this route and got a result.

When you think how much you paid for a KS and now you can get a LG for half that price and it may not have a smart connect but it will be BBC Iplayer (therefore broadcast) compatible.

Paul

Thanks a lot Paul, appreciate it, more than anything I want Samsung to realise that they cannot get away by making tall claims to sell things and then renegeding on the promise

TheChosenOne
Explorer
Options
@ Tezz,
You are a life saver! I totally forgot about this promise and will definitely pursue my case of mis selling. Hopefully I can get a full refund and go for the likes of Panasonic and LG who support the new and latest technology.
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Please keep me upto date with you claims, and it may help others on here and other forums.