Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 21-12-2017 04:01 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Kallb123
Explorer
Options

What's this about HDR10+? Last I read the 2016 models should be receiving a firmware update for it. Has that changed?

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options
HLG for streaming is supported on KS series for VP9-P2 codec (youtube), main problem ***** is Samsung not willing to do any work on older products

"We have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players.”

This shows that you should never buy Samsung products if you ant to be future proof
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@Kallb123 wrote:

What's this about HDR10+? Last I read the 2016 models should be receiving a firmware update for it. Has that changed?

Given Samsung's track record of backing down I doubt they will honour this promise too!

0 Likes
rabbit
First Poster
Options

Very dissapointed that Samsung is neglecting to support my TV that is less than 6 months old!  I mean, all other manufacturers, even the 'cheapest', are supporting UHD in iPlayer.

I can already watch UHD content with Amazon and Youtube apps, so it's not a technical issue and it's not like the BBC is using something proprietary; they are open standards.  As an engineer I understand that proliferation & testing takes time, but this is the top series of TVs and BBC iPlayer is not a niche app.

This will be the last Samsung I buy, the picure is great, but it's useless without the content to drive it.  Should have bought an LG!

PS, have a KS7000

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Kallb123 wrote:

Just to be clear, hear is (typo to get past censorship of that word) the exact wording, copied verbatim from the press release (the April announcement). “All of Samsung’s 2017 UHD TVs, including its premium QLED TV lineup, support HDR10+. In the second half of this year, Samsung’s 2016 UHD TVs WILL gain HDR10+ support through a firmware update.”

That's "WILL". No Ifs, buts, or maybes. A Press Release, cleared through the legal deparment. That is a copper-bottom promise.

The problems are several:

1. Amazon has launched HDR10Plus, but only in America's Amazon Prime and not the UK's.
  2. Amazon refuses to change their rubbish Interface so show which content is HDR10Plus and which is HDR10, so there's no way to be sure what format is being streamed.
  3. We've been waiting all year since the announcement, and not one single HDR10Plus downloadable demo exists in the entire world. So we can't test it and be sure.
  4. Samsung's Info banner display doesn't work inside Apps, so we are entirely at the mercy of app developers to tell us what video format we are getting (see point 2).
  5. The December press release from Samsung - Samsung and Amazon Prime Video First to Launch HDR10+ Content - conspicuously omits mention of 2016 models....

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

If anyone has anything written explaining these issues and the action we want, I can share it on Facebook and Twitter if you don't have an account - or if you have already posted I don't mind sharing etc.

I'm not good at writing these things up! :smileyfrustrated:

0 Likes
TonyHone
First Poster
Options

I have a 2016 Samsung 4K TV and am disappointed by Samsung choosing not to support HLG streaming on the 2016 sets. Knowing that Samsung promised to support HLG, I was looking forward to watching Blue Planet 2, only to find out it isn't supported on 2016 sets. I hope this decision gets changed and Samsung follows through on their promise of support.

primo838383
Student
Options

I think Samsung will start to worry only if the information about, promised full support for HLG and HDR10+ are not going to happen for 2016 models, will spread in social media like facebook and twitter. This forum reads to few people to threaten Samsung sales on this topic. If someone could create wide range campaign in social media about it that would be great.

TheChosenOne
Explorer
Options

I have also reported this fiasco to BBC Watchdog and hope they report this in their programmes. Samsung you have explicitly betrayed your customers with false promises that clearly have not delvered. SHAME ON YOU!

scrumpydrinker
First Poster
Options

Just adding my comment to this thread.

It seems ridiculous that Samsung choose not to expedite a solution to the iPlayer HLG issue.

I bought my UE55KS7000 in March this year. I don't think it unreasonable to expect it to be able play these files, especially as some £250 models from supposedly 'lesser' brands can do so.

Extremely dissapointed with Samsung.