Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 21-12-2017 01:01 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Ste_A
Explorer
Options
I purchased my 49KS7000 25 February 2017; it was a current model and the 2017 range hadn't been released. I read about HLG being available via a firmware upgrade so went for it. So it is very frustrating to know that this TV can technically do it via iplayer but Samsung choose not to support it by what is thought to be a simple update, after all it is a software not hardware issue.

BS like this turns future custom away; this is my first Samsung TV. Samsung must be mad if they think people will upgrade within 10 months of buying a new TV. It's a shame because they appear to support their other products quite well. I've got a Samsung S7 edge phone and Gear S3 watch and both have been well supported, I thought their TV's would be too.
hdmi
Voyager
Options

Can anyone confirm if any of Samsung TVs support hlg, only device I can confirm is LG oled (that does hlg)

many devices listed on BBC website do only 4K uhd (e.g. sky Q), devices that aren't list can't even do plain vanilla 4k uhd like my KS9000

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

Well put and given how quickly Samsung has sorted this out for 2017 sets (after all the fuss) it really does point towards a commercial / strategic blocker more than anything else for 2016 sets. I for one will no longer purchase any further Samsung products.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@ewanstancarr wrote:

Well put and given how quickly Samsung has sorted this out for 2017 sets (after all the fuss) it really does point towards a commercial / strategic blocker more than anything else for 2016 sets. I for one will no longer purchase any further Samsung products.

Yes never buying any Samsung products in future, what people do not realize is that 2016 models aren't even getting vanilla 4k uhd

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@hdmi wrote:

Can anyone confirm if any of Samsung TVs support hlg, only device I can confirm is LG oled (that does hlg)

many devices listed on BBC website do only 4K uhd (e.g. sky Q), devices that aren't list can't even do plain vanilla 4k uhd like my KS9000

If you read through this forum (it's a lot but with reason) it should show you what's going on. Samsung promised they would support 2016 and 2017 SUHD sets with HLG last  year, but are now saying they never said that. They surprisingly enabled support for their 2017 set's I think yesterday, but not our 2016 sets. They have said they are not supporting 2016 sets, even though as far as we can see there is no technical reason why not. Looks like Samsung won't pay the fee for us. You can get HLG on Youtube, which uses VP9 compression. Iplayer uses HEVC which I think will be the standard, which means if Samsung do not update us as promised we will never get broadcast HLG! It means a TV I bought( 65KS9500) as the a top spec all singing TV less than 12 months ago is not being supported as promised. I also bought because of it's backlight for super HDR performance, yet a standard known then, and could become broadcast norm will not, as at this time will work. It seem's the royalties fee's are 5 cents a unit, and it seems Samsung are unwilling to pay it. I have asked Ants (moderator) for a full explanation from Samsung as to why we are not getting the update which has not been forthcoming!

Paul

TheChosenOne
Explorer
Options

I agree 100%. It is utterly preposterous that Samsung left the 2016 range out of the update. For myself I also own the KS7000 when it was first launched. To be left alienated from the 2017 range gets to show the sinister side of Samsung where money and business matters more than supporting their loyal customers. It is nonsensical to think that a new Samsung TV must be bought every year for you to receive updates and support. 

Looking at the supported devices that can stream BBC iPlayer 4k HLG and it is astonishing. The fact that Panasonic are supporting their 2015 TV's and LG supporting their 2016 TV's truly shows their long term commitment to their customers. Whereas samsung paint a different picture. What amazes me more is the fact that the HLG technology is already supprted on the 2016 TV lineup and there can't really be any excuses in that regard.

By the looks of things, Samsung do really want you to buy it's new expensive TV's every year. Sorry Samsung but I'm not going to fall twice and that being said I can't wait to pick up a LG or Pansonic as my next TV.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@AntS wrote:

Cheers @JAMES4578. (And yes, it's comically bizarre. Even more so when you realise that I can post the word "*****" in a public post but not in my signature.)

Thank you for escalating that, glad I helped bring attention to it...

@AntS wrote:

If you pre-2017 TV guys know or come across any more folks in the same boat as you as regards HLG streaming, can you please ask them to drop by and have a say in this thread?

Understood. Will try to spread the message.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@AntS.. Hi, It's good to see that you're still keeping an eye on this thread and I certainly will try to encourage fellow 2015/16 owners of Samsung TVs to join this group.

However you haven't addressed or answered any of my questions I put to you several days ago. Unless we are catagorically told that our sets technically would never be able to play BBC iplayer in UHD and HLG, then I have to believe that Samsung are treating their customers with utter contempt. The JS8000 was very much a premium range and sold on the basis that it was UHD and HDR ready for when the services were available. We were NOT told that it was up the SAMSUNG themselves to determine if they were going to pay the licensing for the BBC UHD iplayer to allow us access to these services.

I include below the questions I posed to you previously. Please do your best to obtain answers for them.

Many thanks.

As a very dissappointed owner of a 2015 js8000 TV I'd like to get an honest and full answer to the question posed by Samsung's statement "We have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players.”

Why are there no plans to enable HLG on 2014/15/16 models?

Is it to do with the internal electrics of these earlier sets? Is it an impossible task to process HLG on these sets? What is the actual issue concerning iplayer and OTA  4k  HLG?

Even if HLG iplayer is a technical impossibility, Why has the iplayer NOT been updated to at least play the test in 4k without the HLG?

Will the iplayer be updated to play in 4k without HLG (like netflix did until the update in June included the HDR)?

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@TonyB2 wrote:

I also have a 2016 Samsung 4K TV and it's pretty bad this is not supported. Are Samsung saying we need to buy a new TV every year? 

They seem to be saying that if you buy a Samsung you need to buy one every year, because it won't be supported for longer than 12 months - but if you buy a TV from any of THESE manufacturers:

Finlux
Hisense
Hitachi
Laurus
LG
Linsar
Logik
Mitchell & Brown
Panasonic
Philips
Roku
Sony
Techwood
Toshiba
Walker

... then you will be fine and you will get support.

Someone a few minutes ago posted they bought their TV in February, a current model at the time, and that was also the month HLG support was added in firmware update v1165.1 in Feb 2017 .  So that new owner hasn't even had support for 10 months!

Samsung, I know my TV can support HLG. And you promised both HLG (with NO caveats as to the very technical nuances of the delivery mechanism) support in 2016 and dynamic HDR - HDR10Plus - support in 2016. You have welshed on both, and it's the end of 2017. Your launch of HDR10Plus on Amazon Prime last week was an utter shambles.

Samsung, if you do not address both these issues, both HDR10Plus and BBC iPlayer HLG, then my future TVs will all be purchased from your mortal enemies: LG.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

I'll be going back to Panasonic.