Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 21-12-2017 10:57 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
amokuk
Voyager
Options

Hey @ajy1

Where are you getting this info about shared source and branches? Are you talking about the iplayer app h e r e? Is there anyway to get a build number?

So Samsung is trying divide and conquer... 2017 v 2016 v 2015. Pathetic.

(How is the word h e r e censored??? This place is an utter shambles)

loftygit
Pioneer
Options

<duplicate post> Sorry

0 Likes
loftygit
Pioneer
Options

Because my iPlayer doesn't play any program at all yet on my 2017 MU6500 I often check on the version to see if something has changed.

Tonight I went to the Apps settings page and noticed that the iPlayer creation date was today 20th December 2017 so I Opened it and I got the invite to watch  Blue Planet in 4K  - this thing actually exists!!!!!

But then I clicked onthe link and got the spinning wheel and then the usual Error 02001 Something went wrong so I still can't watch anything at all.

However I did try entering "4K" on the iPlayer search page and it found the Blue Planet. (and only the Blue Planet)

So if your TV plays iPlayer programs and its 2017 give it a go.

0 Likes
Ajy1
Apprentice
Options

@amokuk wrote:

@Anonymous User @Ajy1

Where are you getting this info about shared source and branches? Are you talking about the iplayer app h e r e? Is there anyway to get a build number?

My assessment is based on Samsung iPlayer App version and Samsung most likely follows Semver.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@amokuk wrote:

i know. You said it - Pathetic. I did NOT swear yesterday but if anyone DARES to use the word that sounds like "hear" in a post, it's starred out. You couldn't make it up.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@amokuk wrote:

i know. You said it - Pathetic. I did NOT swear yesterday but if anyone DARES to use the word that sounds like "hear" in a post, it's starred out. You couldn't make it up.

Apparently the censoring of "*****" is being investigated:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Community-News-Rules-FAQs/Board-Censoring-the-Word-quot-*****-qu...

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

AntS
Options

Cheers @JAMES4578. (And yes, it's comically bizarre. Even more so when you realise that I can post the word "here" in a public post but not in my signature.)

Glad to know you 2017 TV guys can watch Blue Planet II in UHD.

If you pre-2017 TV guys know or come across any more folks in the same boat as you as regards HLG streaming, can you please ask them to drop by and have a say in this thread?

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AntS wrote:

Cheers @JAMES4578. (And yes, it's comically bizarre. Even more so when you realise that I can post the word "*****" in a public post but not in my signature.)

Glad to know you 2017 TV guys can watch Blue Planet II in UHD.

If you pre-2017 TV guys know or come across any more folks in the same boat as you as regards HLG streaming, can you please ask them to drop by and have a say in this thread?

@CheersAntS   , well done seems a bit strange lol-hopefully sorted soon!

I was happy  watching some of Blue Planet II UHD last night, though not everyone so fortunate.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Jabba1980
First Poster
Options

I'd also like to add my dissapointment with this...

I have a 2016 TV - UE55KS7000.

So as I understand from reading this thread, the KS series, as well as the new 2017 TV's, all support HLG but only the 2017 TV's support Iplayer HLG?  Sort it out Samsung!

TonyB2
Student
Options

I also have a 2016 Samsung 4K TV and it's pretty bad this is not supported. Are Samsung saying we need to buy a new TV every year?