Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

Odd you say that as Samsung TVs are showing as supported on the BBC iPlayer info page for Blue Planet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/blue-planet-II-uhd

Regards

Phil

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

Phew, when I looked much earlier could have sworn Samsung not listed. Must have been updated or just muppetry on my part. Thanks 

0 Likes
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

Sadly my 2016 UE55KS7000 not listed 😞

loftygit
Pioneer
Options

My TV MU6500 is listed, but I can't even watch iPlayer in SD as it always shows an error when I select a program to watch.

I am not hopeful for 4K! (for a while at least)

0 Likes
Tezz
Voyager
Options

No 2016 TVs listed  😞

I thought that all 2016 TVs got the HLG update?

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

Well yes..Samsung stated last year that they would  supper HLG via an update. Not like Samsung to let us down is it: famed for its keenly focussed customer service.. not. Paid a lot for my UE55KS7000 so would be narked to have no hlg support 

terryo
Apprentice
Options

What..no pre 2017 Samsung 4K UHD tv's to receive Blue Planet 2 HLG. Not what I was expecting when I bought mine in November 2016. Surely they will update....there are other tv manufacturers who will take my money next time I am in the market.

Tezz
Voyager
Options

@terryo wrote:

What..no pre 2017 Samsung 4K UHD tv's to receive Blue Planet 2 HLG. Not what I was expecting when I bought mine in November 2016. Surely they will update....there are other tv manufacturers who will take my money next time I am in the market.

I did think we 2016 KS users would be on the list by now.

Looks like samsung has dropped the older TVs altogether...

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

Ironic really given they were the first / only manufacturer at the time who said their sets at the time (2016) could  HLG with firmware upgrade. "Could" maybe the operative work ie not Would. Maybe in 2020. My recent experience with Samsung through my TV and previously Samsung s2 watch (still no Samsung pay) has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Eventually their star will fall and their poor customer service will be a key factor