Support

Open search

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

Highlighted
Pathfinder

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

...

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,827 REPLIES 4,827
Highlighted

I know over the years, there's been a lot of dissin' of Samsung and these tellies and their handling of various HDR systems (I know I've spent many, many hours on here getting all upset over the lack of HLG on my JS8000 set). I'd just like to say that after all this time how very much I absolutely love my TV. It's five years old, does 3D, it still has a fantastic picture and the up-scaling of a true HD source still looks practically as good as a UHD 4K picture (minus the HDR which I've learned to not care about).

 

God forbid it goes wrong any time soon, but I for one will be sticking with Samsung in the future.

Highlighted

@Jay108 wrote:

That's great news.  Can I ask  using Nvidia Shield do HDR content on Netflix or amazon look better?  I have Ks9500 model TV and hdr contest using apps Netflix or Amazon on TV look very dim and dark.  I also tried through Roku SS+ But HDR is really bad on KS9500. There is no way to turn off HDR either.
Just wanted to know if Nvidia Shield was better than Roku SS+.

 

Also using Roku SS+ i don't get 5.1 sound on my Bose.650 system. I tried connecting Roku directly to Bose 650. Still I don't get 5.1 sound from Netflix or Amazon.  Any advise from anyone would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 


@Jay108   There is a way to turn the HDR off. I, like you, prefer non-HDR on my TV (JS8000). You can turn it off, not on the TV but you can turn it off via the Roku SS+.

 

Go to-

Settings > Display Type > 4K 30Hz TV (click OK)

 

It's that simple, however I do find that every time I start a watching session, I do have to do this as it seems the Roku SS+ detects my TV (supposedly) works well with an HDR picture (it does not work well at all) and automatically resets the output to the 4K 30Hz HDR setting. It's a little annoying but worth the messing about.

 

As far as your 5.1 sound is concerned, I can only suggest again in the Roku SS+ menu-

Settings > Audio > Audio Mode > Auto (DTHD, DD+, DTS) (tick)

If you've already got the above setting, I can't offer any further help, sorry, but at least try manually choosing the non-HDR output for your picture.

 

Let me know if any of the above helps.

 

Cris.

 

 

Highlighted

@Saverio571 wrote:

No. Your TV support HDR10 and HLG on tuner and HDMI

Don't support HDR10+ 


@Saverio571  and @blenky   May I ask you to verify that my Samsung UE65KS9500 cannot produce HDR10Plus please?

 

As far as I know my TV CAN  produce it.  I would with respect refer you to Firmware upgrade 1180 which was specifically introduced to allow 2016 Samsungs to be able to view HDR10 Plus.  Using an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k, in the Developer's Menu, I can see that it is receiving HDR10Plus - Carnival Row on Amazon Prime is my example.  But my TV is incapable of showing anything other than "HDR" whatever type of HDR is being received (when pressing "info" on the TV's remote) so I am unable to verify with certainty if my tv is producing it.  If Amazon only allowed viewing Carnival Row on TV sets capable of producing HDR10Plus, then I can safely assume that my TV can produce it also.  But I believe Amazon and other networks allow viewing on non-HDR10Plus TV's by allowing them to downgrade the picture to non-hdr viewing of whatever flavour.

 

I have visited plenty of forums about this but you don't show how you know for certain that my TV does not produce it, just as I cannot verify that it does.  You are very strong in your view here but @Saverio571  you do tend to contradict yourself as in an earlier post you say "Samsung TV after 2016 supports Dinamic HDR HDR10+ and not Dolby Vision".  I know full well that my TV does not support Dolby Vision,  but I'd be very grateful if you could prove with 100% certainty, that it does not produce HDR10Plus, otherwise I will assume that it does

 

Please read with care what I am saying and what I'm asking, before replying.

 

Thanks

Highlighted

@rozel wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

No. Your TV support HDR10 and HLG on tuner and HDMI

Don't support HDR10+ 


@Saverio571  and @blenky   May I ask you to verify that my Samsung UE65KS9500 cannot produce HDR10Plus please?

 

As far as I know my TV CAN  produce it.  I would with respect refer you to Firmware upgrade 1180 which was specifically introduced to allow 2016 Samsungs to be able to view HDR10 Plus.  Using an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k, in the Developer's Menu, I can see that it is receiving HDR10Plus - Carnival Row on Amazon Prime is my example.  But my TV is incapable of showing anything other than "HDR" whatever type of HDR is being received (when pressing "info" on the TV's remote) so I am unable to verify with certainty if my tv is producing it.  If Amazon only allowed viewing Carnival Row on TV sets capable of producing HDR10Plus, then I can safely assume that my TV can produce it also.  But I believe Amazon and other networks allow viewing on non-HDR10Plus TV's by allowing them to downgrade the picture to non-hdr viewing of whatever flavour.

 

I have visited plenty of forums about this but you don't show how you know for certain that my TV does not produce it, just as I cannot verify that it does.  You are very strong in your view here but @Saverio571  you do tend to contradict yourself as in an earlier post you say "Samsung TV after 2016 supports Dinamic HDR HDR10+ and not Dolby Vision".  I know full well that my TV does not support Dolby Vision,  but I'd be very grateful if you could prove with 100% certainty, that it does not produce HDR10Plus, otherwise I will assume that it does

 

Please read with care what I am saying and what I'm asking, before replying.

 

Thanks


KS TV's are 2016 TV's and DO NOT support HDR10+ or Dolby Vison.  Thy only support HDR10 in the TV's own apps and via connected devices.

 

The exception is that it supports HLG in its native YouTube app and also via devices connected via HDMI.

Highlighted

Rozel is Ks TV after 2016? No.
Your KS is not able to produce HDR10+. No other word to say. I don't need to prove this. Il you say that your KS support HDR10+ this is not true.

Saverio Casadidio
Highlighted
Just statements again. How do you know 2016 sets do not produce HDR10Plus ? You need to offer proof of what you both say it's just not good enough to say they don't. Please be reminded that the TV's specs say it does and firmware 1180 was released for this very purpose. I asked you both to read with care and to offer proof as why these sets can not produce HDR10Plus.

I'd say you are both dissing the TV in the absence of proof.
Highlighted

@rozel wrote:
Just statements again. How do you know 2016 sets do not produce HDR10Plus ? You need to offer proof of what you both say it's just not good enough to say they don't. Please be reminded that the TV's specs say it does and firmware 1180 was released for this very purpose. I asked you both to read with care and to offer proof as why these sets can not produce HDR10Plus.

I'd say you are both dissing the TV in the absence of proof.

It's not an empty statement but a fact. It's been discussed many times. I love my KS TV.  Its the best I've ever owned and have no plans to replace it.   I have accepted the fact that it will never support HDR10 plus.  

Highlighted

Rozel if you don't know things don't reply.
Firmware 1180 introduced the HLG on broadcasting. It did not introduce HDR10+. If you believe they are the same, please inquire. I don't need to give you any proof of what I say. It is so

Saverio Casadidio

Back to your rudeness @Saverio571 - deplorable! Of course 1180 introduced HDR10Plus!! - and the TV (UE65KS9500) was originally advertised as a set with HDR10Plus. How wrong you are - it was 1239 that introduced HDR-HLG over HDMI. Stop spreading mis-information.

Yes @blenky I love my set too :smiling-face: but whilst I have always respected your posts, unlike those from the guy above, I am trying to verify with certain information whether my set is capable of producing HDR10Plus. There has been much discussion around all the main forums, I agree, and I've read them all. Not one post or thread offers anything conclusive one way or the other.

So as I have said please provide proof of what you are saying or accept that you don't know. To say it definately does not is at the moment incorrect.

Thanks

Highlighted

Rozel I repeat to you. If you don't know things you don't have to reply.
1180 introduced HLG into broadcasting. 1139 introduced HLG into HDMI ports.
Rozel, don't insist because the Samsung 2016 TVs don't have HDR10+. If you believe your TV plays HDR10 + is not true.

Saverio Casadidio
Top Liked Authors