Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 14-06-2020 09:42 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

Can some advise me?  I have KS9500 model. I thought it supported Dolby Digital plus. But in Audio format settting I can only see PCM, DOLBY DIGITAL, DTS (greyed our) and DTS Neo 2:5 .  Why am I not seeing Dolby Digital Plus as an option. 

THe KS range of TV's will support DD+ as an input but will only output DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1

Jay108
Voyager
Options
Oh that’s a shame. Netflix and amazon both stream in DD+ My TV is connected via HDMI ARC to Bose Lifestyle 650 which supports DD+ . Just can’t understand why Spec for this TV says It supports DD+. Do you think Samsung can fix this issue with a software upgrade or it is Hardware limitations?
0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@Wally12 wrote:

I agree that Dolby Plus is shown in the specs on the Samsung website for the KS9500.

I've looked on my KS700 and like you cannot find it on the TV but then I did not set up

to use Dolby Plus.

The only thing I can suggest is to disconnect all audio outputs then try to see if Dolby Plus

appears as an option. If not try plugging in your audio set up to various outputs on the

one connect box to see if it appears for any of them. This suggestion is because I think

the TV sometimes only offers options when a suitable route is available to it. Good Luck.

Tried what you suggest but no luck.  What a shame. 

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:
Oh that’s a shame. Netflix and amazon both stream in DD+ My TV is connected via HDMI ARC to Bose Lifestyle 650 which supports DD+ . Just can’t understand why Spec for this TV says It supports DD+. Do you think Samsung can fix this issue with a software upgrade or it is Hardware limitations?

As previously mentioned it does support DD+ but only for input.   The KS range is now over 4 years old. The limitation has always been there.  I'm sure its a hardware limitation.   Even if it wasn't there is zero chance getting it now. 

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

The Samsung UEKS9500 (my model of TV) definately DOES NOT SUPPORT DOLBY VISION, it supports HDR10 and HDR10+ and via HDMI it supports HDR-HLG.

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

No. Your TV support HDR10 and HLG on tuner and HDMI

Don't support HDR10+ 

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:

No. Your TV support HDR10 and HLG on tuner and HDMI

Don't support HDR10+ 

Also NO Samsung TV supports Dolby Vision.

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
Exactly. Samsung TV after 2016 supports Dinamic HDR HDR10+ and not Dolby Vision
Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:

So in summary SK models .support HDR  but not HDR 10+ and Dolby Digital plus but only as input.  

I connected Roku streaming stick directly to my Bose 650 surround system and hdmi arc to my ks tv. And now I get DD+ audio from Netflix and Amazon. And DD+ sounds so much better than DD.

Not much can be done for HDR10+  on KS models. Will need to buy a new TV. But I will never buy Samsung again. Samsung promise but never deliver. 

0 Likes
sewarner
Pioneer
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

So in summary SK models .support HDR  but not HDR 10+ and Dolby Digital plus but only as input.  

I connected Roku streaming stick directly to my Bose 650 surround system and hdmi arc to my ks tv. And now I get DD+ audio from Netflix and Amazon. And DD+ sounds so much better than DD.

Not much can be done for HDR10+  on KS models. Will need to buy a new TV. But I will never buy Samsung again. Samsung promise but never deliver. 

Your comments re Samsung promises and lack of delivery (especially the lack of dongle) is why many if us have claimed back refunds on the KS range and bought others makes instead.  I bought an LG OLED which is stunning

0 Likes