Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 04-12-2019 09:19 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
crashcris
Voyager
Options

Just a heads up, it looks like the next Sir David Attenborough nature series, Seven Worlds, One Planet, will also be part of the UHD HLG trials on the Iplayer. Starts Oct 27th.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@crashcris wrote:

Just a heads up, it looks like the next Sir David Attenborough nature series, Seven Worlds, One Planet, will also be part of the UHD HLG trials on the Iplayer. Not sure when it'll air, but the advertising has started, so I guess it won't be long now.

Hi @crashcris just a pity the TV's cannot play from the onboard Iplayer app.

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@crashcris wrote:

Just a heads up, it looks like the next Sir David Attenborough nature series, Seven Worlds, One Planet, will also be part of the UHD HLG trials on the Iplayer. Not sure when it'll air, but the advertising has started, so I guess it won't be long now.

Hi @crashcris just a pity the TV's cannot play from the onboard Iplayer app.

I know, but after all this time that topic's been covered, and even if my JS set doesn't do HLG like the KS sets do, at least the UHD still looks fabulous using a Roku SS+.  I've read so much over the past couple of years about the KS and JS sets and all the more recent Samsung TVs and the general consensus seems to be that the picture quality of the JS and KS sets far outstrips the more modern ones. Not to forget to mention that the JS were the last to do 3D. I've made my peace with not having HLG, (TBH, I prefer SDR to HDR on Amazon and Netflix, so I've set my Roku SS+ not to decode the HDR).

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options
Can I ask how do you configure Roku SS+ to not decode HDR? Even I don’t like HDR on nexflix or Amazon. I find hDr on SK model picture too dark.
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:
Can I ask how do you configure Roku SS+ to not decode HDR? Even I don’t like HDR on nexflix or Amazon. I find hDr on SK model picture too dark.

I assume you mean a KS model?  If HDR is too dark on Netflix and Amazon then you either have your setting wrong or a faulty TV.

I have a KS set for three and half years and HDR on ALL devices and steams has been stellar!

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

On the Roku SS+, go to

Settings

Display Type

then scroll down to 4K 30Hz TV.

OK

Click OK

Ok picture looks good and you're done.

You will probably have to do this each time you want to watch through a different app as I find the Roku "helpfully" (actually really annoyingly) keeps switching itself back to the detected 4K HDR at 30 Hz option.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@crashcris wrote:

On the Roku SS+, go to

Settings

Display Type

OK

Click OK

You will probably have to do this each time you want to watch through a different app as I find the Roku "helpfully" (actually really annoyingly) keeps switching itself back to the detected 4K HDR at 30 Hz option.

Thank you. 👍

mrputt
Explorer
Options

Only just realised the PS4 Pro BBC iplayer now supports HLG. When watching on my Kseries should the picture info display HLG and should the brightness auto increase to 20? Thanks in advance

@Jay108 wrote:

@crashcris wrote:

On the Roku SS+, go to

Settings

Display Type

OK

Click OK

Thank you. 👍

0 Likes
disrember
Explorer
Options

as yesterday there is an update for the SUHD JS8000, ver 1550.0 (MULTI LANGUAGE): All Windows2019-12-03. its almost 2gb...  no idea what it does

crashcris
Voyager
Options

I noticed that too. So far not really noticed any changes, am hoping that the very occassional and seemingly random stutter has been fixed, but will take time to ascertain.