Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 11/07/19 09:52)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options
TV

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

...

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,838 REPLIES 4,838
rozel
Voyager
Options
TV

@crashcris wrote:

I'm a bit late for you as you've bought the fire stick, but there is an alternative that's ethernet wired, the NowTV 4k box. https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/smart-box...


Yes but 1.  It is not a Supported Device as detailed here: -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/wimbledon-2019-uhd/    and 2.  Have you used one and can you confirm it produces BBC iPlayer content in UHD HDR-HLG ?

 

 

0 Likes
Reply
crashcris
Voyager
Options
TV

I can confirm I do own one and it certainly has the 4K UHD Iplayer app. As for HLG HDR, I have a Samsung JS8000, so that model does not support HLG HDR, so I cannot confirm if the NowTV box can handle HLG, however I did ask the question on the Now TV community pages a while back, and a reply from a well known member replied "The smart box 4K supports both HDR 10 and HLG HDR". He might be lying, but I very much doubt it. I can confirm Netflix plays in UHD and HDR10.

0 Likes
Reply
blenky
Helping Hand
Options
TV

@crashcris wrote:

I can confirm I do own one and it certainly has the 4K UHD Iplayer app. As for HLG HDR, I have a Samsung JS8000, so that model does not support HLG HDR, so I cannot confirm if the NowTV box can handle HLG, however I did ask the question on the Now TV community pages a while back, and a reply from a well known member replied "The smart box 4K supports both HDR 10 and HLG HDR". He might be lying, but I very much doubt it. I can confirm Netflix plays in UHD and HDR10.


"The smart box 4K supports both HDR 10 and HLG HDR".   That means the player supports HLG but not necessarily that the iPlayer app on the device will have the trial UHD HLG stream!

0 Likes
Reply
crashcris
Voyager
Options
TV

@blenky wrote:

"The smart box 4K supports both HDR 10 and HLG HDR".   That means the player supports HLG but not necessarily that the iPlayer app on the device will have the trial UHD HLG stream!


Oh! Hark at you! And your use of an EXCLAMATION MARK !!! You must be very excitable. I have simply answered your question to the best of my ability, no need to get all aggy. BTW, seeing that the only broadcast/streaming app/service that uses HLG is the BBC iPlayer, I think it's safe to say that Wimbledon tennis will be covered. It will look sharper and more colourful than the HD broadcast, but alas it will still be the most boring programme on the telly all year. Enjoy!

0 Likes
Reply
blenky
Helping Hand
Options
TV

@crashcris wrote:

@blenky wrote:

"The smart box 4K supports both HDR 10 and HLG HDR".   That means the player supports HLG but not necessarily that the iPlayer app on the device will have the trial UHD HLG stream!


Oh! Hark at you! And your use of an EXCLAMATION MARK !!! You must be very excitable. I have simply answered your question to the best of my ability, no need to get all aggy. BTW, seeing that the only broadcast/streaming app/service that uses HLG is the BBC iPlayer, I think it's safe to say that Wimbledon tennis will be covered. It will look sharper and more colourful than the HD broadcast, but alas it will still be the most boring programme on the telly all year. Enjoy!


Huh?  Excitable?! My comment was just an observation that if a box supports HLG it doesn't automatically follow that it it is in the BBC trial for iPlayer HLG UHD broadcasts. 

 

But yes I agree on Wimbledon being boring.  I wish the BBC started trialing drama programmes.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options
TV

Come on kids, lets not fight - this tale is as old as the hills!

 

We know the list of compatible things isn't complete; technically the Amazon 4k stick isn't supported, but works.

 

I've started getting a wonky LED on the edge strip on mine, is it worth putting a case in to get it swapped?

 

crashcris
Voyager
Options
TV

"Wonky" ?  First thing I'd do is feel if it or any of the LEDs are producing a lot of heat. I've seen plenty of pictures where people have removed the back of their KS sets (usually 65" rather than the 55") and the LEDs have melted some of the plastic. This of course is a fire risk (it seems Samsung will want to replace the LEDs free of charge) and I'd suggest any misbehaving LED strips should be investigated asap, rather than putting up with it. Let us know how you get on. Cris.

0 Likes
Reply
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options
TV

Yes, it's on full brightness all the time - only noticed it the other day, but I'll check for any heat.

rozel
Voyager
Options
TV

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Come on kids, lets not fight - this tale is as old as the hills!

 

We know the list of compatible things isn't complete; technically the Amazon 4k stick isn't supported, but works.

 

I've started getting a wonky LED on the edge strip on mine, is it worth putting a case in to get it swapped?

 


Please don't be so patronising and be correct in your comments.  The Amazon is supported the Now TV is not.

0 Likes
Reply
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options
TV

The 4k stick was NOT originally supported when it launched, if the situation has changed then great, everyone's a winner (and by that I mean the BBC has officially acknowledged it - I know it works, I owned one).

 

Thanks for the attitude though, I'm out.

 

 

crashcris
Voyager
Options
TV

@rozel wrote:

Please don't be so patronising and be correct in your comments.  The Amazon is supported the Now TV is not.


LOL, you really are an angry soul aren't you? People have tried to furnish you with the answers you were seeking and all you've done is argue and get people's backs up. Such a curious attitude to adopt in this forum.

 

Unless I'm wrong, what Tasty was saying was that the Amazon also doesn't appear on the latest BBC list of devices that are compatible with the UHD HLG broadcasts, here, check it out for yourself. But I suspect you knew all this all along and were just looking to have a bit of a heated debate with someone/anyone.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/wimbledon-2019-uhd

 

 

 

0 Likes
Reply
rozel
Voyager
Options
TV

@crashcris wrote:

@rozel wrote:

Please don't be so patronising and be correct in your comments.  The Amazon is supported the Now TV is not.


LOL, you really are an angry soul aren't you? People have tried to furnish you with the answers you were seeking and all you've done is argue and get people's backs up. Such a curious attitude to adopt in this forum.

 

Unless I'm wrong, what Tasty was saying was that the Amazon also doesn't appear on the latest BBC list of devices that are compatible with the UHD HLG broadcasts, here, check it out for yourself. But I suspect you knew all this all along and were just looking to have a bit of a heated debate with someone/anyone.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/wimbledon-2019-uhd

 

 

 


No I'm not an angry sole, I just don't like people wading in like @TastyBurger666  did.  I'm not a child, I'm on here to learn, and not to be dismissed.  When you provided the link to the BBC's Supported Devices and when I repeated it, "Amazon" was most definately named as a supported device.  It was on that understanding that I went out to buy one to compare with the Roku.  Mysteriously it's now been removed!

0 Likes
Reply
crashcris
Voyager
Options
TV

Maybe the Amazon stick has been removed from the trial and no longer works with BBC iplayer in UHD and HLG, that would be very annoying.

 

I really hope they do transmit the "Seven Worlds, One Planet" in UHD. Sport doesn't really do it for me.

0 Likes
Reply
rozel
Voyager
Options
TV

Whilst waiting for the Fire TV Stick 4K Ethernet Adaptor, I've been playing around some more.  Setting the Display settings to "Auto" does not work and I've read elsewhere it doesn't.  HDR does not kick in and no amount of HDMI input toggling resolves this either.  The buffering seems to have been sorted - every time so far that I've tried the Fire TV, it's been immediately after viewing my Roku and, as recommended, have left it plugged in.  Yesterday I unplugged the Roku (can't remember why lol) and subsequently enjoyed lovely Wimbledon Centre Court action in UHD HDR.  I had set the Display to 2160 60Hhz.  PQ was superb as with the Roku and didn't require any HDMI toggling.  So maybe, as you cannot "switch off" the Roku that it hogs my broadband's bandwidth for a bit?  Strange.  But perhaps the removal of the Fire TV from the list of BBC's supported devices could be down to the "Auto" display setting not functioning?

 

Hopefully I will get the adaptor today.

rozel
Voyager
Options
TV

Never did get the Adaptor but yesterday I'm afraid I watched the magnificent British GP and the awesome Cricket World Cup Final, the latter which will live with me forever! So the marathon Wimbledon Men's Final (which probably would have bored me to death) did not fearure yesterday - Sky ruled for once! :smiling-face:

JAMES4578
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
TV

I certainly found the  Wimbledon UHD HDR coverage impressive and it showed a long Men's Final in all its glory.  Once I did have an issue with buffering but resetting the connection solved it.   The only thing is that you cannot pause  or rewind and  only the HD is available on  demand, however maybe that will change in the future.

Jay108
Voyager
Options
TV

Has anyone had

software upgrade to 1242.5?  Anything new in this upgrade?

0 Likes
Reply
blenky
Helping Hand
Options
TV

@Jay108 wrote:

Has anyone had

software upgrade to 1242.5?  Anything new in this upgrade?


1242.5!  You sure - we only just got 1241.5 - which was a surprise as the TV is three and a half years old..

 

Samsung NEVER tell you what is in each of these releases

0 Likes
Reply
crashcris
Voyager
Options
TV

I guess, you're both refering to the KS sets. The UK JS sets are still on 1530, nothing's been updated in over a year.

0 Likes
Reply
blenky
Helping Hand
Options
TV

@crashcris wrote:

I guess, you're both refering to the KS sets. The UK JS sets are still on 1530, nothing's been updated in over a year.


Yes I'm referring to the KS 

Jay108
Voyager
Options
TV

Yes KS model. But not really noticed any difference from previous version.

Has anyone who upgraded noticed any changes?