Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 23-04-2019 04:10 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@HarryH wrote:

Yes. I had the same.  All very impressive after toggling. Presume you had to use roku? But then again nothing has really changed from summer World Cup for me despite the new tv software being installed. 

Who has tried Our planet Netflix in HDR .  Using the Native app.  

what is the correct picture setup to get the best from this or does the app handle all of that. I only get a speed 15.4mbs but it says it’s 4k resolution when I press info.  Hard to know if the HDR is kicking in properly and also what other settings to tweak.  The app speed checked says it can receive 55 mbs. 

15.4 is correct for 4K on Netflix (about 5 for HD).  I chcked out Our Planet and as ever looks superb on my KS800.

I also watched the football in UHD (shame about result!) on the Virgin V6 and also checked it out on my Roku+.  Both were fanastic, superb picture with no issues at all.  Never had that the HDMI issue.  All in all still really happy with my KS set.  

rozel
Voyager
Options

Hi Blenky

When you watched the footy using your Roku - how did you plug it into the TV, via the "One Connection" box, like myself?  I have tried plugging it into my receiver but I'm struggling to get it working.   Just wondering if the toggling solution is a Roku thing or a Samsung one.

Come on you Blues! - another Final hihi (halcyon days)  :smiling-face: :smiling-face: :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Wally12
Explorer
Options

I used HDMI 3 on the one connect box. The Roku is a bit strange in that

it doesn't switch off once it is powered (via USB socket also off the one

connect box) and it can be a bit tricky to work until you get used to it.

Use the TV's remote "Source" button to select "HDMI 3" on screen.

You should get a rolling Roku graphic or a reddish cityscape screen saver.

On the Roku remote then press  top right button (picture of house) firmly

for a second or two (fast pressing did not seem to work). You should then

get the home navigation screen and can use the purple (OK and arrows)

buttons on the Roku remote to navigate around this screen to select iplayer

Netflixs or whatever app you want. Further apps can be added.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel wrote:

Hi Blenky

When you watched the footy using your Roku - how did you plug it into the TV, via the "One Connection" box, like myself?  I have tried plugging it into my receiver but I'm struggling to get it working.   Just wondering if the toggling solution is a Roku thing or a Samsung one.

Come on you Blues! - another Final hihi (halcyon days)  :smiling-face: :smiling-face: :smiling-face:

I connect mine into my Pioneer receiver.  No issues.  Make sure its connected into an HDCP2.2 HDMI input.

rozel
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

@rozel wrote:

Hi Blenky

I connect mine into my Pioneer receiver.  No issues.  Make sure its connected into an HDCP2.2 HDMI input.

At long last I managed to connect my Roku to my Receiver / Harmony.  I have a Yamaha receiver and the problem I had previously was that I wasn't saving the relevant "Scene" after setting up - Doh!  I now no longer have to "toggle" the HDMI inputs on first switch-on, so this issue seems to lie with Samsung's One Connect box.  Happy days :smiling-face: :smiling-face: :smiling-face:

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Thought some experienced user(s) would have commented already what 1233 brings to the table, particularly as 1239 users can't update to it?

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:

Thought some experienced user(s) would have commented already what 1233 brings to the table, particularly as 1239 users can't update to it?

There's also a youtube vid around of a 1232.4 update that breaks stuff. Anyone tried that?

0 Likes
Wally12
Explorer
Options
That reviewer slated 1232.4 and recommended disabling auto update
to avoid it. Not sure how it relates to 1233 and I have 1239 anyway
so should be clear of both. However I have disabled auto update for the
time being until more info is available. Still waiting for Sky HDR!
rozel
Voyager
Options
Why would Samsung release dodgy firmware and may I ask again what does 1233 bring - this is available to download not yet OTA afaik
0 Likes